747-8 launch

Simmo W

aha. I see this post is spammed with American Boeing lovers... the 747-800 is not closing a market gap. the 777-300ER can carry nearly the same amount of passengers with half the number of engines. does it have much purposed? for freight yes, passengers no.

your perception might not be that the A380 is nice looking but it can carry over 800 passengers B) subsequently it got many many more features that make it better, too long for one post. beat that boeing, with your ugly, eye-burning orange livery.

To those saying the A380 is ugly. The A380 may not be the prettiest bird in the sky, but she sure is advanced, and I personally think she's beautiful. And in my opinion, Boeing inventing a new variant to their 747 is pointless. The 777-300 carries only 31 passengers less than the Boeing 747-800, so why is the 748 not cost reducing? The 748 has four engines, the 773 has two. Even if all four engines were cost effective, it still doesn't compensate for having 2 engines. And back to the "Much better looking than the A380" I honestly think the 747 is beautiful, and I also think the A380 is beautiful. The A380 can carry 853 passengers... I also think the 747-800 has done her time. She's been beautiful since her first rollout, but not much has evolved esthetically.. and personally I prefered the blue Dreamliner livery much more, the orange just doesn't cut it for me.

Having flown Peters 380 I certainly appreciate some of it's beauty and technology. But even some of the youngsters agree the 747 has nicer lines. My own prejudice is being a child of the very late 70s and 80s, the jumbo's prime, I had a huge poster of its flightdeck on my bedroom wall for a few yrs! So I'll always love her, and am pleased Boeing are innovating to keep her going. I'm sure that behind the scenes they are working on a replacement, let me guess- a cattle truck that'll carry over 1000 souls? To me that'll be a sad day, when economics takes over aesthetics. Sheesh, even the new engines have no romance, ah the good old days of standing OUTSIDE a terminal, hearing a JT9D wind up and then proceed to drill into your inner ear. Wonderful.

Yes, that livery is awful, but it's like saying Kate Winslet looks trashy wearing an orange tracksuit..

Yes, that livery is awful, but it's like saying Kate Winslet looks trashy wearing an orange tracksuit..

I love your sense of humor Simon  B)

To me, I won't be incredibly happy until I see Concorde flying again. She was definitely the most beautiful bird that ever flew in my opinion. If only we could go back where flying from point A to B was an enjoyable experience. Now going onto an airplane is something a lot of people dislike except for some us aviation lovers. Yes, I love the asthetics of the 747, she's a beautiful bird, but I also think the A380 is beautiful as well (granted I may be a little prejudice as I've been growing up around the world of EADS, and Airbus). I sure will miss those days of aviation...  :'(

I liked that comparison too!

In the end, all planes are beautiful to us. I just want to cuddle the Super Guppy. Look that up kiddies! I love flying on any plane, although I might need to be strapped down on one of those 800 pax 380s. Just the thought of so many people on one plane.

Agree with the Concorde, what a tragedy in many ways.

Personally I think the 747-8 looks nicer... I also love how Boeing havent gone the technology route that Airbus have. Simply cos flying using a computer is not really flying in my opinion. Gimmie the days when one smelt jet fuel as you boarded the plane through the rear (727)... Although I was about 5 at that time, its definately what made me want to be a pilot when I was younger.

So the moral of the story is:

No points to you letting a computer put you down in a 50 knot crosswind.  B)

Of course I'd love to fly an 747, but I'm sure the "fun" pilots have is not very great without taking into consideration the airliner. It's not like they perform tricks or fly manual during the flight. Regardless of FBW or none, it's still the computer flying the plane for most of the route. The FBW provides some extra features like the flight envelopes. Whatever, I'm happy flying an c172, and I'm sure I'd be happy flying an 747, or an A380

• 4 weeks later...

I like the look of both planes and i prefer boeing. This orange color not so much but its only house colors so who cares really. As for the A380 being ugly as some say. For how huge it is and the purpose of the design i cant really see it looking much different how else can you stuff all those people in there :) Id have to say the 800F looks really sharp in the cargolux livery for sure. I guess we will have to wait to see the 800i in a lufthansa skin to see how that looks ;)

i could see why the airport would hate it, but why the ATC's ?

My guess is because there's only specific taxiways it can travel through, good luck fitting an A380 on a tiny taxiway  :)

haha, yes  ;). But isn't that why the A380 is only allowed to land at certain airports. C'mon ATC's, there aren't that many 380's out there.

Apparently it's also very sluggish to respond to command (too many computers), causes massive wake disturbance, requires very specific planning of taxi way usage, and generally makes operating the entire airfield and all the other traffic around it utter hell.

Yeah, real great airframe that. Might be safer for the few extra people that are on it, but impacts the safety and stress levels of the people and pilots flying everything else.

Reminds me of this saying: "Never use big words where diminutive ones will suffice."

The A380 is more of a pain in the butt than anything. The plane is too big and is very limited as to which airports it can go to. Airbus had to "cheat" and classify it as two airplanes. What good is that going to do when one crashes and the ARFF teams can't handle it? Also, almost all of it is controlled electronically. How are pilots going to control it when the system crashes? I'm more comfortable letting the pilots control the plane instead of than letting the plane control itself.

• 1 month later...