Does XP support SLI?

jetjerry

X-Plane doesn't seem to like SLI and dual cards. I've heard reports at X-Plane.org that dual video cards actually DEGRADE X-Plane's performance. I think your best bet is to buy one higher end card. Plus, that 512mb card you listed in single format shouldn't have a problem running X-Plane.

- Jason

I'm using the GTX 295 (dual card) with 1780 MB @ 3600x1200 getting 60 FPS and all settings maxed and a 110 degree FOV in KSFO urban areas and 150+FPS if I'm further north above the redwood park. I don't see a performance hit that you refer too. (for list of my XP rig, see http://x-plane.push-point.net first blog section "Genesis" )

What specific cards were affected? And why would this happen?

X-Plane doesn't seem to like SLI and dual cards. I've heard reports at X-Plane.org that dual video cards actually DEGRADE X-Plane's performance. I think your best bet is to buy one higher end card. Plus, that 512mb card you listed in single format shouldn't have a problem running X-Plane.

- Jason

Well, I'm not sure that X-Plane utilizes both cards. It will use one, but not the other. Mind you, I am only following up on a topic I read on X-Plane.org If you use applications other than X-Plane that are GPU intensive, then go for it. But don't go wasting your money if you don't need to.

-Jason

Well, I'm not sure that X-Plane utilizes both cards. It will use one, but not the other. Mind you, I am only following up on a topic I read on X-Plane.org If you use applications other than X-Plane that are GPU intensive, then go for it. But don't go wasting your money if you don't need to.

-Jason

X-Plane DOES support SLI. It WILL use both cards. There's the simple answer. ;)

Both graphics cores are used to the max when I run XP 9.22. The core temp gauge for both is hovering around 60C while ambient temp is 18C. That's just doing circuits around LOWI. Unless heat at the exhaust is a wrong indicator, I think the 2nd core is adding value to the sim.

No, I don't use any other application than X-Plane on this Linux rig of mine (well, besides GoodWay). It's compiled and built to serve only 1 purpose: to get the highest FPS I can afford at 3600x1200 rez.

Which xp.org thread covers/confirms your assumptions that XP doesn't use both cores (or more)?

-Jason

• 3 months later...

X-Plane DOES support SLI. It WILL use both cards. There's the simple answer. :)

And what settings do i have to select, which files have to be hacked?

I get about 10 more fps out with my 295, than with my 260 core216, but i guess its only because it has more cores. Its frequency is way lower 575 vs 650.

As long as i don't try to set anything, then i get about 35-40 fps, whereas i got 25-30 with my GTX260. Looking on RivaTuner, the 2nd GPU is lazy with 300MHz downclocked and therefore idle. Only one GPU is working. When messing around with different settings, then i cant even get beyond the 19fps with 0.1 visibility.

Im sowhat disappointed from this 400 euro shit card. Only Crysis Warhead is really benefitting from it, a game i haven't played since half a year and i guess i will not play again, because its boring and too short.

Anno1404 can't even be played with max Details and it feels somehow smoother with my old card with the same settings. And so on and so on...

2 out of 12 games benefit from the card... Wow...

So which magic trick do i have to learn, so that the GTX295 is not only a waste of money?