ARR proc VECTORS waypoint too far away

lanmancz

Hello,

so I'm just entering my route from EHAM to ENGM when I noticed that the final VECTORs after missed approach to ILS19R at ENGM shows the waypoint like at least 500 nm long :) The route is : EHAM ANDI1T ANDIK UZ733 KONOM UZ704 AMADA Z704 PIPEX M609 RIPAM RIPA4M via BAVAD to ILS19R ENGM. The VECTORs waypoint shows way back even past my departure airport. Not sure how exactly far away it is, it doesn't show as other waypoints, seems like a bug though :) I'm using latest navigraph data.

PS: Cannot export FMC debug in 1.0.4 => "INVALID EXPORT"

The line to the last VECTORS waypoint is the one shooting out of the destination airport even past my dep airport in the second image.

vec1.jpg

vec2.jpg

Edited by lanmancz

4 hours ago, Tchou said:

VECTORS is not a waypoint, it's an indication to follow the ATC indication guiding you the the rest of your route. (by giving you headings and altitude AKA VECTORS).

True but it is still displayed on the map as a pseudo-waypoint. I was just not expecting it to be quite so long (really, really long!). I guess I never noticed that before so I thought it might be a bug but Jan quickly corrected my mistake. :)

44 minutes ago, lanmancz said:

True but it is still displayed on the map as a pseudo-waypoint. I was just not expecting it to be quite so long (really, really long!). I guess I never noticed that before so I thought it might be a bug but Jan quickly corrected my mistake. :)

Jan told in another topic (you are not alone in this case) that they programmed the route to be 1000NM, it would take a very lazy controler to let you fly it in it's full length (and maybe a tanker plane with a device to allow for in flight refuelling ;-). )

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tchou said:

Jan told in another topic (you are not alone in this case) that they programmed the route to be 1000NM, it would take a very lazy controler to let you fly it in it's full length (and maybe a tanker plane with a device to allow for in flight refuelling ;-). )

Who knows? Maybe you'll find Mordor.

Sorry could not resist.

Hello,

On 28/5/2016 at 3:19 PM, Litjan said:

I am pretty sure that is exactly how a VECTORS type waypoint is shown - just a loooooong line out. How far? Nobody knows...

Well, this forum thread got me curious..  so I decided to try to find out in the real plane. (Cruise flight can get boring sometimes..)

The approach shown in this video is the Barcelona ILS Z rwy 02, with a vector leg to the northeast.

First, you can see that I try to look around Milano.. increasing range, the vector leg just barely becomes visible passing across the screen, still going strong northeastwards.
Then, observe how it ends right about the NIGSI waypoint (close to SNU VOR, in the Vienna (Austria) area)

Now - how far is it from Barcelona to NIGSI?  I have no idea - I didn't think of putting it in the LEGS page and check. Can be done easily enough in IXEG, I suppose.
Or using some spherical trigonometry formulae, if you've got a few hours to spare :D

On 2/6/2016 at 11:10 AM, Cosmopilot said:

Who knows? Maybe you'll find Mordor.

... or in this case, a nice quiet place in the countryside of Austria.  Certainly a lot further than we would have wanted to fly after a go-around :lol:

Ken

vector3.mp4

Edited by ken_v
  • Upvote 1