Creating object manipulated by wind

whiskeyportal

I'm wanting to make a little windsock and flag that will be controlled by the wind. I'm using AC3D, but can't seem to figure out what animation settings to use so that the animations will be triggered correctly by the wind. Is it done in AC3D or after the fact in the .obj file? Thanks for any tips anyone could provide.

Good question Scuba. can't wait to find the answer myself, but I'm guessing it would have to be done in AC3D or Blenders animation functions, which I too am starting to explore in kindergarten forms. 'ooh Daddy, why is my right mouse button the left one?'

There is already a standard X-plane windsock controlled by wind. Why make another one?

i'm wanting to do a flag right now, i have build a sign also and i want to make some parts of it loose and maybe wiggle in the wind. there are many objects that would be cool to make manipulated by the wind speed and direction that i can think of, not just a windsock.

Have you tried these datarefs?

sim/graphics/animation/windsock_psi float n degrees windsock heading

sim/graphics/animation/windsock_the float n degrees windsock pitch

sim/graphics/animation/windsock_phi float n degrees windsock roll

Is this added in AC3D? or is it added after the fact to the .obj file?

Is this added in AC3D? or is it added after the fact to the .obj file?

Kind of a "dual answer" there.  Datarefs are added to animations in both AC3D and Blender with techniques specific to those programs of course.....and the exporter simply writes the commands to the object file.  The implication here is that you CAN add it to the object file yourself after the export but of course that's much more tedious and error prone.  In your case of wind related animations, I would look over the datarefs in the 'sim/weather/' section of the dataref web page

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/docs/DataRefs.html.

and using the datarefs for wind speed and direction, you can apply them to animations in AC3D or Blender.