Annoying sound after hotfix 1.0.3

Tom Stian

Good morning ^_^

This is not really a bug, but more like a personal preference.

Since I upgraded to 1.0.3 I noticed some change in sounds. Pre 1.0.3 I think the sounds where perfect. I dident notice anything "annoying" when cruising around.

I belive it is this file that are in effect.
X-Aviation\IXEG 737 Classic\sounds\alert\B733 wind.WAV

Now I keep hearing this looping and abit annoying sound, and Im pretty sure it is that file im refering too :)
I dont hear it when im on the ground, so it is the speed/wind that triggers it.

So I hope there is a solution to revert this back to what is was pre 1.0.3.

Correct me if im wrong.

Did also commented this in the 1.0.3 hotfix release topic, but i think its more correct to post it here.

Hi Jan.

Did a test now with 150kts headwind on ground.

You can hear that there is some difference.  I belive it is that difference I hear when I fly. 

This soundtest dont give a impression how it is when i fly, but you can atleast hear the change. 

:unsure:

Ok, i had to make new videos that I compare this in cruise where you clearly hear the difference.

I may be crazy about this, but I prefere the cleaner sound in version 1.0.2 :)

1.0.3 (updated)

Edited by Tom Stian
reupload video for v1.0.3

yup, thats the wind noise (B733 wind.WAV), which was replaced or remapped with the latest hotfix.

Maybe you can try to reinstall the aircraft again (if it's still v1.0, I don't know) and backing up the old sound file before you applying the latest fix. Then, you can overwrite the new file with the old one.

I've still got the old wind noise file as a backup here, but redistributing is against the EULA I guess?

Alternatively, you can pull a flightdeck video off youtube, take out the soundtrack and edit in Audacity to generate a loop (5-10s length) and balance it according to the overall sound environment of the addon. A samplling rate of 22,500KHz and 32bit resolution should work. If you can't find a proper flight deck video you can also generate a white/pink noise and balance it according to you preferences.

Edited by EDDTlex

My version 1.03 at cruise power, sounds exactly like your 1.02 at cruise power, "if" you turn the air conditioning volume up. 

Here's my sound volumes, it sounds exactly like your 1.02, in 1.03 here.

sound.jpg

Edited by Muskoka

4 minutes ago, EDDTlex said:

Maybe you can try to reinstall the aircraft again (if it's still v1.0, I don't know) and backing up the old sound file before you applying the latest fix. Then, you can overwrite the new file with the old one.

I belive the hotfix system do not change any files like sound's etc.. Its only changing code/scripts.

8 minutes ago, Tom Stian said:

I belive the hotfix system do not change any files like sound's etc.. Its only changing code/scripts.

They did change the code in 1.0.3 to point to the originally intended wind sound file.

Please check the topic.

Edited by XPlanePort

7 minutes ago, Tom Stian said:

I had to make a new 1.0.3 video.. so please listen again now :)

and my air condition volume is at max.

Yes, my 1.03 with the air conditioning on full sounds exactly the same as your 1.03 test 2a above. Too me that's the same as 1.02, and not what I was hearing the other day. My sound anomaly was a repeating "engine" sound, that is still faintly there, if you turn the air conditioning down. Sounds fine to me now.

I'm at 33,000 ft right now and it sounds exactly the same as your 2a test above. Sounds fine to my ears. Maybe Jan can comment on your latest test 2a to it's authenticity?

Edited by Muskoka

The original wind noise was a default X-Plane one placed in by mistake if I remember right. The new wind noise is straight from a hi-def recorder placed in a 737 during flight. You'd prefer the non-realistic version over the real 737 recording then?

I suppose you could perhaps swap the audio files around. :) I'm sure Nils will investigate any type of looping anomalies if present.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison, Tom!

I am not much of an "audio" guy - but there certainly is a difference. I am sure it is fine to replace sounds in your folder with other sound-samples that you like better. If the wind.wav from default airplane is something you prefer, go ahead and replace the custom sound we provide (make a backup of it first?).

Does this help?

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cameron said:

The original wind noise was a default X-Plane one placed in by mistake if I remember right. The new wind noise is straight from a hi-def recorder placed in a 737 during flight. You'd prefer the non-realistic version over the real 737 recording then?

I want this airplane to be as realistic as possible, and I dont want you guys to tune or dumb it down when we talk about realism, but I prefer the "non-realistic" version for this. When doing flights that are 2-3 hours I think its more relaxing to have the sound from 1.0.2  ;) As I said in my first post, its a personal preference for me.

2 hours ago, Cameron said:

I suppose you could perhaps swap the audio files around. :) I'm sure Nils will investigate any type of looping anomalies if present.

2 hours ago, Litjan said:

Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison, Tom!

I am not much of an "audio" guy - but there certainly is a difference. I am sure it is fine to replace sounds in your folder with other sound-samples that you like better. If the wind.wav from default airplane is something you prefer, go ahead and replace the custom sound we provide (make a backup of it first?).

Does this help?

Cheers, Jan

I tried with the default wind.wav sound that are shipped with x-plane. But I dont think it was that file that was used for 1.0.2 ? can it be \X-Plane 10\Aircraft\X-Aviation\IXEG 737 Classic\sounds\custom\B733 wind.WAV ?

Anyway, I tried that file now and I think that was pretty close to what was in 1.0.2. Will do some more tests around this.

Do you guys think its hard to please all of your customers ? ;)
Well. I think your team are doing a awesome job to achive that. Big Kudos for you all.