CRJ-200 Framerates

All of those that have purchased the CRJ-200:

Could you please report graphical performance? Framerate + your computer specifications + X-Plane graphics settings.

Trying to estimate if the aircraft will work on my computer.

Probably will help many other potential customers.

Thanks in advance.

My computer is not the most up to date being more than three years old, but the framerate hit is not that bad; a drop ~10fps with most settings on high or very high. I can definitely live with that until I upgrade in the fall :(

Better than the SSJ and ERJ...

The new MacBook Pro 13 inch (with the highly criticized Intel HD3000 graphics card) which I have runs the SSJ smoothly.

So I should be able to run the CRJ-200 given the test worked... aha!

Nout

Getting between 70 and 110 fps at KEDW.

3.33 GHz six-core Mac Pro, OS X 10.6.7, X-Plane 9.69. Frame rate seems entirely dependent on scenery. Relocating to KLGA, where I have complex converted MSFS scenery for KLGA, KJFK and the Manhattan skyline can bring the fps down to 19.

The plane is definitely using all cores, as the attached will show.

post-361-131369607582_thumb.jpg

post-361-131369607585_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

Unfortunately, my config seems too weak to afford the CRJ  :P

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 +

Ati HD4800 1GB

2 GB RAM

Win XP SP3

X-Plane 9.67

Starting cold and dark @ 22-23 fps, these drop to 19.00 as soon as I switch battery on.

System monitoring shows CPU usage of 100 % for both cores... I know my CPU is the weak member of my config (other parts have been upgraded).

I don't blame of course the developers : my computer is obviously old fashioned, and not ready for X-Plane new challenges, even not for FSX...

For information, Marquise, Duchess (all these ladies  ;D) and the new Q400 work well on my system.

CRJ will thus be grounded until I negociate with my wife that a new computer is a priority (will definitely not be tomorrow :-\). It's sad, because I have the feeling that this CRJ is really a great work.

Happy landings and thanks to produce exiting addons,

François

My system:

-win 7 64 bit

-intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66 GHz

-8 gigs ram

-Nvidia GTX 470 1280mb vram

The Frame rates i am getting are in the high twenties to low thirties, but occasionally will drop to 19. I am actually happy with system frame rates but i am getting like one frame a second on the EFIS displays. This really sucks cause it is hard to tune anything if it only updates once a second. I heard this is CPU related, but why do i get good frame-rates on the plane but the displays are so slow?

Also i noticed frame rates drop like a rock if i load up VAT-spy, which is using openGL. So i am guessing opening any other OpenGL program would just about cripple frame-rates.

Any tips on getting better frames for this displays?

I heard this is CPU related, but why do i get good frame-rates on the plane but the displays are so slow?

...because it is CPU related. Two cores, and they are chugging as good as they can. I'm quite sure that if you have some kind of an activity monitor you'd probably see your CPU cores maxed to 100% utilization. More cores = better refresh.

Cameron,

I am also having problems with displays.

I use quad core and once I load crj it uses cpu in the same way as any other plane - most of them idle.

FPS remain in over 50 range. But once I turn battery switch on and two screens come on moving around in x-plane gets a lot of hiccup'ish'. After turning GPU on it gets even worse and at this point all cores are being used by 100%.

If I move camera to any direction it goes and stops for a little while (less than sec), then moves again, then stops. It happen during any movement (taxi, etc). It is getting very annoying and stops me from actually enjoying the plane

Please note that FPS remain in 40's all the time.

I also passed the test you made available few days ago.

What information would you require to debug it?

Kind regards,

Kamil

Also i noticed frame rates drop like a rock if i load up VAT-spy, which is using openGL. So i am guessing opening any other OpenGL program would just about cripple frame-rates.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about that. openGL is completely single-threaded, which means all accesses to the openGL context must be synchronized. I took great care to get this absolutely right in the CRJ, which uses up to seven threads and all the draws get serialized to go through the openGL pipeline just in time - if you see this in a thread profiler, you will see I built really some kind of choreography to get this right. Now, if there is yet another program that wants to draw openGL and makes changes to the context which are entirely out of my control, this can't work anymore.

So I'm not surprised that a "competitve" openGL program messes this up.

So, as for your display refresh rate problem, can you please test the CRJ without any third-party plugins running? They have to be definetely more than once a second given your PC! I have reports from people with quite comparable or even slower PCs and the displays are running good there.

1. run CRJ on clean X-Plane - displays should work with your PC. If they still don't there is something wrong with your NVidia driver or you have a borked setup

2. try adding back the plugins to find the one that kills the display refresh. I fear you will have to do without this then, since I cannot program a gazillion different versions of the CRJ for every combination of other plugins that are out there.

Philipp

I am also having problems with displays.

Please note that FPS remain in 40's all the time.

Kamill, you are the only one running Gentoo Linux here. So far, you have been the only one to

-report the "boxes" in the PFD waypoint display

-report this behavior of the displays.

This looks like a misconfiguration of the graphics drivers to me.

As I think you are an experienced Linux user, do you know how to utilize a sampling profiler? If you have sufficient interest, I can do a debugging session with you where we can find the culprit.

Philipp

Kamill, you are the only one running Gentoo Linux here. So far, you have been the only one to

This looks like a misconfiguration of the graphics drivers to me.

As I think you are an experienced Linux user, do you know how to utilize a sampling profiler? If you have sufficient interest, I can do a debugging session with you where we can find the culprit.

Hi Phillip,

It is very fair point you stated here. I shall install completely fresh Ubuntu 11.04 on separate partition and will test it there before we move forward with debugging. I do rally not want to waste your time now with those problems unless I prove that they are not there due to misconfiguration.

I will reply in this threads with my findings as soon as I know more.

If it comes to sampling profiler - I do not know what it is. Can gdb be used for it? I am sure I will manage to provide you with details with your little help but let me try separate installation first.

Kind regards,

Kamil

Hi again,

As promised have installed kubuntu (well, not ubuntu as such) 11.04, and...

Can confirm that boxes are gone with new system! :-)

Flickering/stuttering/hiccup is still there but might be slightly less of it. As this is something that can [at this point in time] be only visualy judged by me it is difficult to say exactly whether it is placebo effect only or this annoying thing did really decrease  - but anyway - problem still exists.

Kind regards,

Kamil

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about that. openGL is completely single-threaded, which means all accesses to the openGL context must be synchronized. I took great care to get this absolutely right in the CRJ, which uses up to seven threads and all the draws get serialized to go through the openGL pipeline just in time - if you see this in a thread profiler, you will see I built really some kind of choreography to get this right. Now, if there is yet another program that wants to draw openGL and makes changes to the context which are entirely out of my control, this can't work anymore.

So, as for your display refresh rate problem, can you please test the CRJ without any third-party plugins running? They have to be definetely more than once a second given your PC! I have reports from people with quite comparable or even slower PCs and the displays are running good there.

1. run CRJ on clean X-Plane - displays should work with your PC. If they still don't there is something wrong with your NVidia driver or you have a borked setup

2. try adding back the plugins to find the one that kills the display refresh. I fear you will have to do without this then, since I cannot program a gazillion different versions of the CRJ for every combination of other plugins that are out there.

Philipp

This may sound strange, or it may not, but i think the slow down on the displays has to do with having an internet browser open on my second monitor. I did some test like you said. Disabled various plugins, but that didn't seem to do a thing. When I closed out Google Chrome, i almost instantly had better frame rates on the displays. to test if it was just Chrome that did this i opened safari, but safari did the same thing. Not sure of this myself but would you mark an internet browser as an Open GL program?

A little annoying if this cant be resolved or circumnavigated since I normally look up all my charts online during a flight. Otherwise, i can just turn off the browser.

Philipp

A little annoying if this cant be resolved or circumnavigated since I normally look up all my charts online during a flight.

You can always buy an iPad, Jack  :P

Ufff every time i open chrome i see how the ram goes down with every tab oppened. Yes on those systems with not so much memory is recomended not open too much programs. Close skype, messenger, anti virus, etc...

You'd be surprised how much hardware rendering is in modern browsers. All CSS transformations are done on the GPU these days, as is webGL, and also some HTML5 stuff like Canvas, SVG, ....

Browser do use the GPU a LOT these days!

Well, I think you can either buy an IPad, or use some old-school browser without the hardware acceleration features, like Internet Explorer 7.

But who would want to use THAT???? :)

Philipp

EDIT:And also the Browser on a second monitor... Imagine the number of context switches going on there... No surprise the displays were slow.

Windows 7, AMD Athlon Dual Core 5200+ 2.6 GHz, 4 gig Ram, 32 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,

Not a smooth experience, even with renderings backed way off (resolution set to normal, no pixel shaders, all objects off, no anti-alias, and display performance turned down in the FMS...All other newer high resolution planes run fine with extreme resolutions, objects, pixel shaders, and anti-alias (including PH's A380, Sohkoi SJ, Dreamliner, and all of JRollens planes.

Sure is pretty though.....

Michael O

Windows 7, AMD Athlon Dual Core 5200+ 2.6 GHz, 4 gig Ram, 32 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,

Not a smooth experience, even with renderings backed way off (resolution set to normal, no pixel shaders, all objects off, no anti-alias, and display performance turned down in the FMS...All other newer high resolution planes run fine with extreme resolutions, objects, pixel shaders, and anti-alias (including PH's A380, Sohkoi SJ, Dreamliner, and all of JRollens planes.

Sure is pretty though.....

F

Michael O

Hi!

Looking ar your hardrware settings is normal,it goes not quite well for you. A dual core under 3ghz, and the 9800gt a graphic card that was good, but some years ago, cannot make the work well done.  So I suggest you update your hardware settings.

I know maybe other planes runs great for you, but those planes uses too much genetics. Her we have 2 plugins running parallel, that needs be distributed by cpu quick to gpu. So, this plane cannot be compared to any before of this, even if I made them (mentor, seamax...)