Arduino fun

frumpy

Hi guys,

I made a simple MCP with an ATMEGA 2560 compatible board which is WIP. All buttons and LEDs work, next step is

getting the right datarefs (which are currently not available, but I believe it's just a matter of time) and putting them in the code.

I used the software interface from Vlad http://arduino.svglobe.com/

Even though this is low tech compared to other projects, it might inspire some people to do the same. No rocket science involved! :)

On 2016-04-24 at 3:32 PM, frumpy said:

getting the right datarefs (which are currently not available, but I believe it's just a matter of time) and putting them in the code.

Hi, did you check the Interface Guide.pdf? It has a table of all the custom datarefs of the 737. 

Hi Nils,

are this the only datarefs? I'm not sure if I can drive the buttons and LEDs with the "_toggle" datarefs,

but yes, it should work. Lack of time really, but I'll definitly check them out.

1achmed1, yes, handpainted with a white ink pen and a few layers of transparent color. The plate is

3mm acrylic, the holes are made with a Dremel and the buttons glued into it. Now if you have access

to a 3D printer... :) I think next step could be hacking those: :ph34r:

http://www.banggood.com/5Pcs-Yellow-LED-0_28-Inch-2_6V-30V-Mini-Digital-Voltmeter-Voltage-Tester-Meter-p-980045.html

Edited by frumpy

13 hours ago, frumpy said:

1achmed1, yes, handpainted with a white ink pen and a few layers of transparent color. The plate is

3mm acrylic, the holes are made with a Dremel and the buttons glued into it. Now if you have access

to a 3D printer... :) I think next step could be hacking those: :ph34r:

http://www.banggood.com/5Pcs-Yellow-LED-0_28-Inch-2_6V-30V-Mini-Digital-Voltmeter-Voltage-Tester-Meter-p-980045.html

I found this IC, which can drive 64 LEDs or up to 8 7-segment displays, which means only two of these are need to drive the main part of the MCP, or 3 if you want the course selectors. I'd imagine that any 7 segment display would work, so if you could manage to separate your linked voltage meter from the display, it would work beautifully with your MCP.

As for the LED buttons, I found the buttons you're using from this article, which includes a link to buy them from conrad.de, but they're out of stock with no picture, so I'd imagine they're not coming back. A quick search on ebay for LED momentary switch reveals only metal buttons with blue or red LED rings, which frankly aren't good enough and would be ugly against the grey of the Honeywell MCP in the 737 Classic, thus the saga for buttons continues.

Good page on the MCP, I did not know this one.

The 7 segment displays can be driven by extra chips, or directly via the Atmel - however this would take

a lot of time and pins. Thats more of a project if you have the time...

As for the buttons - you're right, they are sold out. :-(

On April 26, 2016 at 1:53 AM, frumpy said:

are this the only datarefs

The ones in the interface guide are just the "input" or "actuator" ones for the moment.  There are indeed MANY more, but we need to audit as a lot of them are not useful to cockpit builders and we don't want to clutter the list, but only include relevant ones.  After things settle down slightly, I'll set about compiling the list.

-tkyler

Just an FYI for anyone wanting to use standard Arduino and the aforementioned great free software interface from Vlad,  From his page and I quote,

" Up to 9 Arduino boards of any type, both USB and LAN, can be connected to your X-Plane PC. "

Obviously my project isn't a standard project but if you are going to build a large scale sim and interface with all the lights and hardware, that is limitation.  It all comes down to personal preference, programming skills, desired functionality and ease of maintenance.  

I have 20 boards in my sim now and need at least 10 more. :)

Rob

8 hours ago, frumpy said:

Using the matrix method you can connect 200+ pins per board: http://svglobe.com/arduino/input_kmx.html

Have fun with that LOL!!!!!!!!   To each his own.    

I get it, you leg hump arduino based boards and I leg hump Teensy boards.  Move on, nothing more to see here.  Let each do their own research.

Edited by 737NUT