Win 10 - Cumulative Update (KB3176938)

Denco

A word of warning if you use win 10. The update in the title is causing sever fps issues in applications that use OpenGL. Shameless copy of my "investigation" from another forum:

Ok guys here is my quick observation. I did a quick test with the update installed in my home town airport and the framerate was between 42 to 33fps. When I wen't to the outside view and moved the free camera the frames dropped heavily and there was sever constant stutter, if not framerate skipping.

I uninstalled the update and did another test in the same situation, time and weather and my framerate is between 57 to 53 fps with smooth free camera movement.

I've used the app from Microsoft to hide this update from my computer and will not install it until it gets fixed."

Edited by Denco
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I've been following this too. There are people reporting sudden framerate drops from 30+ to single digits who aren't even using SkyMaxx Pro at all, so I'm starting to wonder if SMP's being falsely accused in many cases.

Still, if you're not using FSGRW, updating to SkyMaxx Pro 3.3.1 is still a good idea. It fixes any situations I can find within SMP that might cause performance to suddenly tank for no apparent reason.

I automatically accept all Windows 10 updates and am not seeing this myself though, so whatever's really going on would seem to be complicated.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, sundog said:

Yes, I've been following this too. There are people reporting sudden framerate drops from 30+ to single digits who aren't even using SkyMaxx Pro at all, so I'm starting to wonder if SMP's being falsely accused in many cases.

I automatically accept all Windows 10 updates and am not seeing this myself though, so whatever's really going on would seem to be complicated.

These are different cases, I had the SMP issues before upgrading windows but SMP never got me down to 3-4 Fps all suddenly, it went more like to 15 fps from 40-50 fps.

But I guess some less experimented users may have mistaken the Win10 Anniversary issue as an SMP one.

The Win10 Anniversary issue is triggered when you switch in and out of an OpenGL enabled app, if you stay in X-plane and don't Alt-Tab out of it, you shouldn't have the issue, the problem is Alt-Tabbing back doesn't restore anything. 

I had to rollback to previous Windows version, and had to reinstall some software too. (antivirus, Nvidia drivers etc...). I hope Microsoft backup system was as efficient as Apple's one.

15 minutes ago, Tchou said:

These are different cases, I had the SMP issues before upgrading windows but SMP never got me down to 3-4 Fps all suddenly

18 minutes ago, Tchou said:

The Win10 Anniversary issue is triggered when you switch in and out of an OpenGL enabled app

That confirms my findings 100%. I alt+tab a lot during my flights (to check charts, weather etc.) and never observed anything like this in my 5 yrs with X-Plane. Until recently! After two hour flight i landed and was taxing to stand when i switched to different Windows app for the n-th time (PDF reader - charts) and suddenly my X-Plane slowed down from 30+ to 2 fps ... I wasn't able to cure this by switching in and out of full-screen mode, nor by changing rendering settings, disabling plugins etc.

Luckily for me this happened during taxi after landing and only partially ruined my flight that day. Although i can alt+tab one hundred times and nothing bad may happen, like you said it's best to avoid it (or uninstall mentioned W10 update).

To all:

I posted this frustrating issue yesterday after days and days of re-configuring everything over and over again with the same result...I know, definition if stupid....well, I have to say two good things came out of this and with the help from mmerelles, my system is back to normal.

1st and most important, my issue has been 100% resolved! Its the latest windows 10 update that is causing the problems. If you remove the latest update you should WILL be fine :) This update is called: KB3176938.

2. Because of this issue, I had to reinstall EVERYTHING from scratch BUT..... I found my clarity and FPS and how SMP runs now is incredible!!! I always have my system do updates when they come in but I have to say, sometimes a clean install is better that adding new to old files. I could be wrong but I will say, my system runs awesome now!

Please pass on this solved issue because I know MANY have been scratching their heads over this but I am glad its fixed!!!....for now...LOL!!!

Why did you reinstalled everything? Was there a problem because I only uninstalled the update and my framerate were back to normal. I run X-Plane in window mode so maybe that's why I didn't see my fps drop to 1 digits, but I had lower fps and bad performance in general.

EDIT: I was very surprised when I updated to 3.3.1 and noticed that my framerate was even worse than in 3.3.0. Now I reckon it will be the same.

Edited by Denco

I reinstalled everything because I thought I had a malware virus in the beginning which now I find it had nothing to do with malware. I have found my FPS with 3.3.1 are the same if not better. I can now notch up on anti aliasing more than I had in the past and also I added 5500 more sq kilo. for cloud draw with better FPS. I cant put my finger on anything else giving me better frame rates or better clarity than from what I explained above. Now, I would not do what I did if you are not having any other issues unless you wanted to give it a try.

I have to say that I'm definitely seeing an improvement in framerate compared to version 3.3  now that the update was uninstalled. I've done two flights in the FF767 with cloud distance set to 20000 and I don't get as worse framerate as I did before. or maybe I still haven't meet any taxing weather. I would really like to say that the problem was fixed, but I need to do more flights before I can say something like this. In any case it shows that the team is working hard on tackling this performance issues we have. 

• Upvote 1