What airport would you like to see next?

OlaHaldor

I have two up my sleeve. I know, I know, it's been taking forever - but you know what? Making scenery for X-Plane is not my full time job. However, I'm interested in doing business, and on days where my regular job is slow, I could happily get going with further development to complete the two I have at the moment, and after release get going with a new one.

Simply put, what airport would you like to see next? What country is most interesting? Maybe two airports on a particular route? Keep em coming, and we'll see what the future brings.

Well, I know dreaming doesn't cost and requests might be ignored, but most of my IVAO flying I do from or to Mexico City MMMX and I have tried to convert two versions of payware of this airport (flymex and taxy2gate) and the the editing needed is beyond my skills because some objects are floating and such, so If you ask me, I would love to see a version of this busy airport native for XP. also would love to see a photoreal scenery of the whole valley, for those that haven't flown into mexico city at night, is spectacular to fly over one of the largest cities in the world. So there MMMX please

My vote is for a Swedish airport like Stockholm Arlanda (ESSA) or Bromma (ESSB). I fly out of Bromma airport IRL so pictures would be no problem. I guess Sweden will never happen for you though I mean with all the Norway jokes we throw at you guys, but well worth a vote I guess :-)

/Mikael

Wow, this thread has really blossomed ;)

If you can provide tons of photos for reference, I'll do Swedish airports before anything, despite the jokes. ;) Same goes to Forth Worth. I won't start anything before I can get my hands on photos from the ground so I can somewhat determine the scale compared to people, cars and planes. Something I can more or less get an idea of the real world scale thus modeling using the information I gather about that.

Shapes of terminals, roofs, gates and getting it in-sim is not a problem - texturing and getting the scale right is more problematic than anything. :)

Wow, this thread has really blossomed ;)

If you can provide tons of photos for reference, I'll do Swedish airports before anything, despite the jokes. ;) Same goes to Forth Worth. I won't start anything before I can get my hands on photos from the ground so I can somewhat determine the scale compared to people, cars and planes. Something I can more or less get an idea of the real world scale thus modeling using the information I gather about that.

Shapes of terminals, roofs, gates and getting it in-sim is not a problem - texturing and getting the scale right is more problematic than anything. :)

ah Ola I'm glad it's not just me'! Why is it that when I scale a building in Sketchup at, say 10 metres high, in the sim it exports at bloody 1metre or so! You are right, scaling is a challenge.

I don't use SketchUp, so I can't answer you on that one. I model in real-world measurements. 1m in the modeling tool is 1m in X-Plane. By correct scaling I mean that the length and height are more or less correct, so I don't end up placing gates too close, or the buildings being too low - or large for that matter, and make sure the height of elements looks like the real deal.

ESSA is the largest international airports in Sweden and nothing I can really swing by and take pictures of unfortunately :-) but ESSA is absolutely a great airport and a great choice and something I would love to have in X-plane. In fact Sweden is so under representative in X-plane in general and its such a beautiful country (..I am no just saying that) :-) and we do have more than IKEA, Volvo, the Bikini team and the meatballs.

Mike

Everyone who wants ESSA, there is already payware for it. it is MSFS from aerosoft ( http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,5589960880,10723_1 )and converts almost perfectly!I love it and it looks great. If you want ESSA, than you can go to aerosoft. I encourage DFW. This scenery is not only not available for x-plane, but the only MSFS scenery for it doesn't convert, it's one of the busiest airports in the world and I go there a lot so I would love to see it. I am going there this winter and I will take a ton of pictures.

Only problem with such a very busy airport as DFW is that about half of us who fly use smaller GA aircraft and bush planes in X-plane so we can't even realistically use an airport like DFW for our GA purposes. I think an ideal airport to make is one that attracts all sorts of X-plane pilots GA and commercial pilots alike. ESSA is a good idea but there are a ton of good ones.

Another idea is to start a similar payware project like Orbx for MSFS but for X-plane, a project that has shown very successful. They create smaller airports and grass strips in a local area and do them really really well, man you are so talented Ola and could really pull something like that off for sure. Check them out... In their case it is Pacific Northwest which is a great VFR location. The business side of it of course is that you attract many X-plane GA pilots that will buy all your fields as they become available who collect small detailed airfields to fly from, a more homogeneous group I believe than the typical commercial X-plane pilot. Less buildings also to worry about.

Mike

Only problem with such a very busy airport as DFW is that about half of us who fly use smaller GA aircraft and bush planes in X-plane so we can't even realistically use an airport like DFW for our GA purposes. I think an ideal airport to make is one that attracts all sorts of X-plane pilots GA and commercial pilots alike. ESSA is a good idea but there are a ton of good ones.

Another idea is to start a similar payware project like Orbx for MSFS but for X-plane, a project that has shown very successful. They create smaller airports and grass strips in a local area and do them really really well, man you are so talented Ola and could really pull something like that off for sure. Check them out... In their case it is Pacific Northwest which is a great VFR location. The business side of it of course is that you attract many X-plane GA pilots that will buy all your fields as they become available who collect small detailed airfields to fly from, a more homogeneous group I believe than the typical commercial X-plane pilot. Less buildings also to worry about.

Mike

When I flew through there, our md80 taxied right by the GA terminal which was a decent size with many aircraft sitting there. I also saw several GA planes taking off as we were waiting to cross runways. I agree that ORBX has a good idea but it takes them about 4 months to create one of those small airports in their level of detail, but they have a team of about 16 working on one of those. the whole ORBX staff consists of over 50 of the best MSFS developers and it still takes them a long time. They have been working on Pacific north west sense late 2008. I would happily offer my help and I know one other person who would jump on board if Ola would like help. I am very good with ground scenery which is a very big component of scenery like ORBX. One place I would like to see for GA VFR flying would be the swiss alps or a hawaiian airport. But I still support KDFW.

So far I'm only a one man show. So if they've spent 4 months, 16 smart heads and still haven't released something.. boy.. I'm gonna spend years on that thing. ;D

Even though you wish for the airports you want to see, I will not promise I deliver it. Mostly because it's hard to find photos of it.

Another factor is that "Birds eye view" in Bing or Google Maps is essential. I couldn't have done Alicante without it. It's such a key factor to seeing how things are and are related to each other in scale and where they connect. Seeing only an overview satellite photo helps for the general shape, but it's not worth much if I don't know how things look from a perspective.

For instance, I'd go with Brumma before Arlanda. There's no birds eye view of Arlanda, but Brumma has that. And we have a guy here on the forums that can provide photos.. Let them come!! :o

Same goes to Fort Worth, KSFO and so on..