Hello, from a new member, please help!

lingus1975

Hello all,

This is my first visit to this site, and it looks like I have found the right place.

I just received Xplane 10 from my girfriend for my birthday, along with a pretty cool set of flight sim controls.

I am NOT much of a FS, gamer, casual at best. I am a private pilot, and love all things aviation, so my GF did her best to buy me a gift along those lines. Upon trying to install it in my very old PC, (2009 Gateway pentium dual-core 2.2G, 4G RAM), I am finding that it does not want to work very well. I was afraid of this. My girfriend does not have alot of money, and she is very sweet, and was SO excited to give me this gift, and if I can not use it, she is going to be crushed.

Now, what I would like to know, is will a system I am looking at be acceptable for using x-plane 10. Now I KNOW that very few of you would EVER recommend a system out of the box from Best Buy. I am looking here for the following reasons:

I am very tech illiterate. I haven't the knowledge, or time to build my own system.

I am NOT a gamer. I do not need to exploit xplanes realism systems 100%, just a smooth reasonable simulation.

Xplane will be the ONLY game I use this computer for. The rest of it's use will be normal PC functions.

I have a Best Buy card, so the option of paying for this over 6 months is very attractive, and pretty much crucial.

I know all of you here are very knowledgeable and savvy, but please keep in mind that I am not, and will be happy with a lesser xplane experience, as long as it is reasonable. Keeping all of that in mind, would some of you mind letting me know if this sys may be adequate for my needs?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/4300906.p?id=bb4300906&skuId=4300906

Thank you SO much, and happy holidays! 

Hello all,

This is my first visit to this site, and it looks like I have found the right place.

I just received Xplane 10 from my girfriend for my birthday, along with a pretty cool set of flight sim controls.

I am NOT much of a FS, gamer, casual at best. I am a private pilot, and love all things aviation, so my GF did her best to buy me a gift along those lines. Upon trying to install it in my very old PC, (2009 Gateway pentium dual-core 2.2G, 4G RAM), I am finding that it does not want to work very well. I was afraid of this. My girfriend does not have alot of money, and she is very sweet, and was SO excited to give me this gift, and if I can not use it, she is going to be crushed.

Now, what I would like to know, is will a system I am looking at be acceptable for using x-plane 10. Now I KNOW that very few of you would EVER recommend a system out of the box from Best Buy. I am looking here for the following reasons:

I am very tech illiterate. I haven't the knowledge, or time to build my own system.

I am NOT a gamer. I do not need to exploit xplanes realism systems 100%, just a smooth reasonable simulation.

Xplane will be the ONLY game I use this computer for. The rest of it's use will be normal PC functions.

I have a Best Buy card, so the option of paying for this over 6 months is very attractive, and pretty much crucial.

I know all of you here are very knowledgeable and savvy, but please keep in mind that I am not, and will be happy with a lesser xplane experience, as long as it is reasonable. Keeping all of that in mind, would some of you mind letting me know if this sys may be adequate for my needs?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/4300906.p?id=bb4300906&skuId=4300906

Thank you SO much, and happy holidays! 

Well, you really need to have a graphics card or GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that does all of the rendering in the simulator. There is this thing called Vram, which is the amount of memory dedicated to video memory.

Please say if you have a GPU, or what kind of graphics card do you have?

If that's the computer you'd like, it should run pretty well. I run X-Plane just fine at High/Very High settings, and these are my specifications: 

15” Macbook Pro

2.5GHz Processor 

512 GB Storage

• 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz memory
  • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory

Well, you really need to have a graphics card or GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that does all of the rendering in the simulator. There is this thing called Vram, which is the amount of memory dedicated to video memory.

Please say if you have a GPU, or what kind of graphics card do you have?

Hi Jack,

All I know about this system is what is listed on the link I provided. I do not have any other hardware to go along with it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

You should trust Airfighter, he's an aircraft developer ;)

In all seriousness, that's more than enough if all you want is for it to run. With that computer, it should run very nicely at relatively high settings. Like I said, my Macbook Pro has pretty close specs, and it runs pretty darn well.

Wow guys thanks for all of the incredibly fast replies already! I'm ashamed to say that some of the things you are mentioning are already outside my scope of computer knowledge, but I am thankfully getting the impression that this system should be adequate for my needs. Please, feel free to continue offering any more insight, and I will continue researching anything I read here that I may not understand . Thanks again, wow, what a great community !

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness, that's more than enough if all you want is for it to run. With that computer, it should run very nicely at relatively high settings. Like I said, my Macbook Pro has pretty close specs, and it runs pretty darn well.

That's great. Thanks so much to all of you. I was terrified that coming into a serious sim forum and talking about buying a pc from best buy was going to go about as well as entering a Christian message board and saying: "is Satan really THAT bad?" :) thanks so much for the down to earth assistance. Very glad I found this spot.

I have a computer with 8-core i7 2.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia m1000k GPU with 2 GB of Vram, and more than 500 GB of disk space. However, I get really really bad framerates even at the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM settings (12 FPS).

Do you know what this can be caused by?

That's great. Thanks so much to all of you. I was terrified that coming into a serious sim forum and talking about buying a pc from best buy was going to go about as well as entering a Christian message board and saying: "is Satan really THAT bad?" :) thanks so much for the down to earth assistance. Very glad I found this spot.

Always happy to help a newcomer :)

I have a computer with 8-core i7 2.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia m1000k GPU with 2 GB of Vram, and more than 500 GB of disk space. However, I get really really bad framerates even at the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM settings (12 FPS).

Do you know what this can be caused by?

Sorry, no idea. All I know is how it runs on my system. I know that it should be doing a lot better than that, but I don't know much more.

And if I may ask one more question, can you please tell me what sort of specifications I should be looking at closely when choosing a monitor to pair it with? I am, again, admittedly a bit naive about monitor specs for flight sims! Thanks again, you guys are saving my day!

And if I may ask one more question, can you please tell me what sort of specifications I should be looking at closely when choosing a monitor to pair it with? I am, again, admittedly a bit naive about monitor specs for flight sims! Thanks again, you guys are saving my day!

Only suggestion I have for a monitor is:

1080p or more. The computer you're looking at can handle XP at pretty high settings, and you wouldn't want that to go to waste on a crappy monitor.

I'm not going to pretend to know more than I do. If you want a brand, specific monitor, etc. recommended, I'm not the person to ask.

Only suggestion I have for a monitor is:

1080p or more. The computer you're looking at can handle XP at pretty high settings, and you wouldn't want that to go to waste on a crappy monitor.

I'm not going to pretend to know more than I do. If you want a brand, specific monitor, etc. recommended, I'm not the person to ask.

Thanks Vette, you and the others have been unbelievably helpful. You actually answered that question exactly how I was hoping. Didn't want a specific recommendation, just a general criteria. I am very grateful!

• Upvote 1

The biggest 1920x1080 you can get. Going higher in resolution, will require from GPU to fill a ton more pixels per frame.

A big 1080p monitor is a good compromise between immersion/quality/performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk