Real weather anomalies

diamonddriller

I like to use X-Plane's real weather options.  Usually, SkyMaxx Pro reflects the METARS that are downloaded.  Sometimes, however, it is completely wrong.  For example, I had real weather showing pretty clear skies in S. California the other day.  SkyMaxx Pro gave me a lot of clouds, lightning and thunder at the very airport that was supposed to be virtually CAVOK!   I disabled SkyMaxx, and the weather I then saw in X-Plane was as per the current METAR for the field.

Using 10.36 in OS X 10.10.4 (iMac).

So, does anybody know why these discrepancies appear?  Today, SkyMaxx Pro gave me exactly the weather that the METARs showed.  

SkyMaxx Pro doesn't read the METAR's directly; it uses datarefs provided to it by X-Plane that indicate the weather conditions at your plane's position. I don't know what X-Plane does under the hood to go from METAR data to "what's the weather right here," but the answer probably lies there (assuming you don't have a weather add-on or VATSIM going on).