Weird crashes?

P3R

Hi

Today i had something weird happen, with SMP installed and already registered, suddenly the reg window popped up and opted me to register SMP a second time.

After this X-Plane 10 x64 v10.32 started to lock up around 30mins after starting the exact same flight.

4 times this happened with a hard screen freeze with a sound loop, only way of recover was to push the reset button on the PC.

The last time i just loaded the sim and sat at the airport doing nothing for approx 30mins and got a weird flashing graphical artifact in all kinds of colours before it crashed the Nvidia opengl driver.

By monitoring the x-plane logs i have this lines at the end of the log file at  each instance of the crash.

Gizmo64: OpenGL<->Physics Offset Default Init: 7210.621, -213.633, 55226.094

Gizmo64: Tried to use physics engine without loading an OBJ8 file. Ignored, can't draw!
SkyMaxx Pro: Location set to lat 68.503619 lon 16.676797 alt 30.673571
SkyMaxx Pro: Changing cloud conditions.
SkyMaxx Pro: Created cumulus congestus layer alt 1079.000000 size 90000.000000 density 0.333333
SkyMaxx Pro: Created cumulus congestus layer alt 1689.000000 size 90000.000000 density 0.500000
SkyMaxx Pro: Created cumulus congestus layer alt 2451.000000 size 90000.000000 density 0.666667
SkyMaxx Pro: Cloud conditions changed. Current target visibility is 100.000000

By taking out Gizmo and Silverlining i had no crashes.

I also checked the Vram usage and it was at its normal usage.

No heating issues and cpu and gpu usage was at approx 16.

I am going to try and uninstall and reinstall the program just in case something got corrupted.

Been using this setup with the same addons for a long time without any issues at all.

May be worth looking into.

SMP v2.1.1

FF757 v1.13
X-Plane 10 x64 v10.32
Win7x64 Ultimate SP1

I do think you are running out of VRAM. Remember the VRAM usage X-Plane reports does not include VRAM allocated by SkyMaxx Pro or your operating system, among other things. Your actual usage can be much higher than what it says.

The reason I think it's VRAM is because of two things:

- Your crash happened right after SkyMaxx was told to inject a LOT of clouds into the scene - three very large, relatively dense layers of cumulus clouds. These consume VRAM.

- The crash didn't happen in SkyMaxx Pro itself, but in X-Plane - which probably means it crashed while trying to allocate VRAM for something else.

My recommendation would be to lower your cloud draw distance setting in SMP, or better still, hit the "reset" button in the SMP configuration screen. Based on what's being written to the log, you've almost doubled the default settings, and I think that's what pushed your system over the edge.

Edited by sundog

Today i had something weird happen, with SMP installed and already registered, suddenly the reg window popped up and opted me to register SMP a second time.

I just looked into your license and this was normal. Your license just happened to come up for renewal at the time you decided to launch a flight. Nothing crazy going on there. :)

My recommendation would be to lower your cloud draw distance setting in SMP, or better still, hit the "reset" button in the SMP configuration screen. Based on what's being written to the log, you've almost doubled the default settings, and I think that's what pushed your system over the edge.

Ok, today i used a 3d party gpu monitoring tool "gpuz" and did some real time monitoring.

I did some testing, reset SMP and tried my best to overflow the vram by adjusting the SMP sliders, no joy.

Everything is just working fine today, no problems at all with the same settings and the same flight.

I will continue to use this gpu tool, it logs to a file and is a nice thing to have incase something like this happens again.

I just looked into your license and this was normal. Your license just happened to come up for renewal at the time you decided to launch a flight. Nothing crazy going on there.

Thanks, i was getting suspicius, thinking that something got corrupted and thats why it called the re register, but now thats sorted :)