mr_happyland

i tried also with overcast, overcast give me the same problem

first video with stratus, second video with overcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpIbL6PqlJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmfa595bN6o

the problem is simple, there is too much visibility if i put cloud to 0ft

i can see the lights of the runways from miles away

Edited by Viper04

Use "overcast" instead of "stratus". The overcast quality setting only applies to overcast, not stratus. As Cameron said, this has been discussed already in this thread.

the overcast quality settings applies also to stratus, i can see a lot of difference from low to high, also in stratus 

and i want to say this thingh another time, this addon is great, with few cloud, lot better frame and quality

we need only to fix this visibility problem

it seems like the lights pass trough skymax pro clouds

Edited by Viper04

I wrote the code for SkyMaxx Pro - I can tell you definitively that the "overcast quality" setting does not get used if X-Plane sends us a cloud layer they classify as "stratus" instead of "overcast." Stratus will always result in the flat cloud you're seeing with no visibility effects inside of it, which is the best we can do given the data X-Plane gives us. So, under the hood, I think the cloud you think is "overcast" is actually "stratus" as far as X-Plane is concerned.

However, if you have "overcast quality" set to medium or better, "overcast" clouds will be rendered volumetrically and you'll lose visibility inside of them in the same way as you lose visibility inside of any cumulus layer. It won't match up with the default cloud experience, but it's the best we can do due to inconsistencies between X-Plane's visibility effects and the cloud heights they send to us.

In short all I can recommend is to use overcast instead of stratus, and use an overcast quality of medium or high, for the best results. It's all we can do for now.

We are aware of occasional sorting issues between the clouds, lights, and other transparent objects, and hope to address that soon with a future patch.

Hope this helps.

on the video i done i use overcast on high, so if i want low visibility and do an ifr landing i have to use default cloud?

thanks for the help, i will use overcast instead of stratus cause is better... but default cloud on bad bad bad condition is better

as far as, this is not an "occasional" issue, i can't set no visibility on this addon, and it's frustrating cause skymax pro would be perfect with this thing :)

and sry for my english..... 

Edited by Viper04

To be clear, it is only visibility while inside of cloud layers that works differently with or without SkyMaxx Pro enabled.

My "occasional" comment was in reference to your reported problem with lights showing up in front of clouds. That has nothing to do with visibility inside clouds, unless we are talking about different things.

I don't know exactly what happends in engine and i'm Not interested in :)

i'm only saying and i don't know why, in default cloud i Can have "0 visibility" mode, when skymax is on i can't have "0 visibility" mode

i just want to know if it is a My pc issue, or a universale issue. I Hope it Will be fixed Soon :)

Edited by Viper04

To be clear, it is only visibility while inside of cloud layers that works differently with or without SkyMaxx Pro enabled.

My "occasional" comment was in reference to your reported problem with lights showing up in front of clouds. That has nothing to do with visibility inside clouds, unless we are talking about different things.

The light is a problem yeah, but i Can See runway and object in long distante too

i just want to know if it is a My pc issue, or a universale issue. I Hope it Will be fixed Soon

I'm going to make this simple and somewhat "rude" sounding because I think you are having a problem understanding what is being told to you.

1. This is not a problem on your PC.

2. It is universal.

3. It's not something that is considered a "bug". Frank's post explains quite clearly that he has worked within the limitations of what can be done with a plugin in X-Plane. It will not be "fixed soon".

Default engine can do this and 30 euro engines can't do 0 visibility mode?

That's correct. X-Plane is a simulator that only allows so much data and access to plugins. Since we (or Frank) do not CREATE X-Plane, we do not have all the access to variables in the sim as a plugin that Laminar does as creators of X-Plane. IF Laminar changes this in the future you can bet that we too will make a change.

The goal is always to make SkyMaxx Pro as best as it can be. We have done A LOT to this plugin since the first day it was released, and all in 100% free updates. We won't waiver from that course, but it takes cooperation on multiple fronts.

It's very similar to water. We'd love to create a proper ocean/lake/river add-on. Even though Laminar can simulate it themselves, we can't because all the access we need in the SDK to get it done is not shared with plug-ins.

I regret that this is the answer, but, we take what we can get, and often times we make good on our word.

• Upvote 1

i don't want to attack you. But you have to understand me, i bought this add on 2 days ago, and i think that is done very well.

as far as, i bought this add on cause when i put default engine on low visibility, i take 25 30 fps max... and i did wish to increase fps and improve ifr flying.

Now... ifr flying doesn't work at all... ok...

i will live with it i want just to say to you,

PLZ, when and IF it will be possible to put an ifr fly like default, with increase fps, do it, cause a wheter add on with no ifr flight is useless

Thanks for the support 

Edited by Viper04

• 2 months later...

I agree. This plugin does not work for IFR flyers. Nice for VFR flying though.

This thread predated our SkyMaxx Pro 2.1.1 release, which addressed many concerns about IFR flying. Are you using the latest version of SkyMaxx Pro? If so, I think you'll find that low-altitude stratus cloud layers look pretty convincing as long as you have your "overcast quality" setting in SkyMaxx Pro set to high.

See http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/7646-skymaxx-pro-211-has-been-released/on  how to get 2.1.1.

Edited by sundog

Gordiehm ifr is fixed with last version, it's not perfect cause it took too much fps with overcast to mid or high, but it's very good. As you can see i 

have removed video from youtube. do you have tried to set medium or high in skidrow option?? after that set at least 2 stratus of clouds, cause skymax seems to do no more than 15000 feet of clouds, set 1 from 00000 to 15000 and the 2 from 15000 to 30000

with default clouds sistem you can set one bigger cloud from 00000 to 30000, but the fps is similar, so i prefer 2 stratus of skymax pro, but it's on your like

imho the only big issue now is the rain, that with ifr condition is still worse to see, but it can't be fixed.

Edited by Viper04