XP Scenery Generator [WIP]

tonywob

Just a quick tip for anyone converting scenery, have a look at osmfilter

Using this filter command decreases the OSM filesize by half. I've just tried it on the UK using this command which strips out all the stuff we don't use.

osmfilter england-latest.o5m --drop-tags="highway=turning_circle highway=crossing highway=give_way highway=mini_roundabout highway=junction traffic_sign=* railway=* operator=* ref=* adr_les=* barrier=* bridge=* tunnel=* access=* bicycle=* foot=* horse=* surface=* designation=* highway=primary highway=secondary highway=tertiary highway=motorway highway=service highway=footway highway=road highway=track addr:city= source= source_ref= created_by= addr:housenumber= addr:postcode= addr:post_code= addr:street= phone= amenity=school name= building:street= building:postcode= building:post_code= building:city= building:country= building:county= building:house_number= building:house_name=" --keep="highway=residential building=* amenity=place_of_worship man_made=lighthouse man_made=water_tower man_made=crane man_made=windmill landmark=windmill man_made=tower man_made=mast man_made=chimney landmark=chimney generator:source=wind natural=wood natural=scrub landuse=forest landuse=allotments natural=forest leisure=garden leisure=park landuse=cemetery" --drop="highway=primary highway=secondary highway=tertiary highway=motorway highway=service highway=footway highway=road highway=track amenity=school landuse=commercial landuse=residential amenity=parking landuse=retail landuse=farmland landuse=industrial natural=coast waterway=* natural=water waterway=*" --out-o5m > england.o5m

It basically removes all tags from the OSM file which we don't use, and speeds up processing a lot. You then convert it back from o5m to pbf using osmconvert. It shrinks Germany down do 1.2GB, and it processes twice as quick :-)

I'll play around with it a bit more and add instructions on the website

Edit: I'll get the program to generate this command automatically using the rules file

Filtering the OSM data prior to processing is of course a good idea but I think the parameters given above filter too much (i.e. landuse=meadow, farm and farmland which are used for the tree line rules). Also, I think the "drop" is not really needed as the "keep" parameter is already quite specific.

Edited by Daikan

This is really fantastic tool .  I wanted to give it a try but I have problems.

See attached.

I used   binary PBF OSM date file from here    http://metro.teczno.com/#philadelphia

The errors says "Unable to resume osm file is different from source used to generate"

Then there is a repetive error " can't find coordinates for node ....."

See attached

The philadelphia folder was created though.

Where do I put created folder? I just put it in Custopm Scenery Folder.

Looking forward to create some valid scenery with your help.

Cheers, AJ ;)

post-1109-0-13801700-1395514435_thumb.pn

Edited by arb65912

Hi AJ,

I'm just uploading beta 0.2.0, so give it about 10 minutes, and then update your version from the website. The issue you are getting is due to the way that website has split up the OSM data. It's done so in a bad way, removing required nodes and clipping the data very badly. I've changed the manual with a new site which is much better http://download.bbbike.org/osm/bbbike/, so give the OSM files here a go, and you'll find they are much better.

Let me know how you get on.

Tony

See attached

The philadelphia folder was created though.

Where do I put created folder? I just put it in Custopm Scenery Folder.

Looking forward to create some valid scenery with your help.

Sorry, to answer your question. Yes, place the philadelphia folder into your custom scenery folder. If you are waiting for beta 0.2.0, make sure you read the downloads page and grab the link for the building library as well.

Tony,

So far I have new version beta 0.2.0

Downloaded World Models Master and put in XPlane ?custopm Scenery folder

Downloaded  Philadelphia from here    http://download.bbbike.org/osm/bbbike/Philadelphia/%C2'> ( osm.pbf one )

Both Libraries mentioned on the site.

Folder Philadelphia created.

Where the Philadelphia folder needs to be as far as the hierachy, I have custom KPHL scenery and zzz_hd_global_scenery2 folder for high density meshes.

Thank you, AJ ;)

It depends how much scenery there is. If you find it too heavy then turn it down a notch or two. If you find there is little or no scenery, then you may need to regenerate with smart-exclusions (let me know, and I'll explain how).

Also, if you haven't already, check this post http://world2xplane.com/2014/03/16/how-will-my-regioncountry-look-using-world2xplane/

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I am going out now but no luck.

I am doing something definitely wrong.

First ss shows my regular settings , the are KPHL buildings from custom scenery but auto generation is bad ( no buildings)

Second ss shows what it looks like after I add zz_Philadelphia folder, it seems that there are buildings generated with your program but they are very sparse.

I do not know how to run the different parameters for redoing the scenery.

Sorry for taking so much of your time, I wish I knew more how to run your program with more objects created and taller buildings. :(

Cheers, AJ ;)

post-1109-0-89098200-1395519477_thumb.pn

post-1109-0-51046100-1395519494_thumb.pn

AJ, did you check there is actually data to generate?. Remember that the program only converts data from OpenStreetMaps, so if there isn't any data or sparse buildings (As unfortunately is the case in lots of the US), then the geneerated scenery will also be sparse.

I'll generate Philadelphia and give it a try also, to see if it's an issue in the program, or just a lack of data

Regards

Tony

Tony,

I thought ( without checking, sorry) that area like Philadelphia should have a lot of data.

I know that X-Plane also lacks in that area , metropolitan ones.

I will look into OSM data but if you want to see what you can get, that would be great.

Thank you again. Will check forums tonight.

Cheers, AJ ;)