P3D V2 Fog 0_O

JohnMAXX

I hope you can release this soon because P3D 2.0 will definitely be a big hit. I really wish that XP stuff would come out faster.

I look forward to this release :)

Cheers

That's laughable.

P3D is marketed as a training simulator only, not an entertainment simulator.  If you do not believe me, check the EULA that comes with P3D.  It specifically states that it is not to be used for entertainment purposes.  

Of course, that does not stop Lockheed Martin from selling it to individual users, who claim that they are using it for training purposes.  And then the even more laughable thing, is that P3D is marketed as an FSX replacement, and all of the add ons are compatible…  So much for a non-entertainment sim...

• Upvote 3

That's laughable.

P3D is marketed as a training simulator only, not an entertainment simulator.  If you do not believe me, check the EULA that comes with P3D.  It specifically states that it is not to be used for entertainment purposes.  

Of course, that does not stop Lockheed Martin from selling it to individual users, who claim that they are using it for training purposes.  And then the even more laughable thing, is that P3D is marketed as an FSX replacement, and all of the add ons are compatible…  So much for a non-entertainment sim...

I'm just waiting for the day when all the fools who bought P3D under false pretences suddenly have their licences withdrawn.....

btw it's being marketed as a commercial simulator, for use with FSX, for professional pilots and student pilots only.  Everyone else, purchase at your own risk.

Like the clouds John.  Your work's getting better and better. :)

I'm just waiting for the day when all the fools who bought P3D under false pretences suddenly have their licences withdrawn.....

btw it's being marketed as a commercial simulator, for use with FSX, for professional pilots and student pilots only.  Everyone else, purchase at your own risk.

Exactly.  I love reading all of the comments on another flight sim forum, where FSX users state that they are purchasing P3D, under an academic licence because they are "using it to maintain their pilots licence".  Sure you are.

No offence, but simulators are a piss poor alternative to actually getting your hands on the controls.  What they are good for is the purely procedural side of flying, be it instrument work, radio navigation, etc.  Areas where introduction on the ground, and practice will be of value before stepping into the cockpit, and going for it...

Edit: I should also add, that I cannot wait for the day that Microsoft gets jealous of Lockheed Martin making money off of a simulator, especially one that is being used illegally under a commercial only EULA.  Clash of the titans in court for sure, but it will likely end with Microsoft withdrawing any support LM had to develop P3D as an add-on or update for FSX...

Edited by eaglewing7
  • Upvote 1

Of course, good for Skymaxx, looks great.

As for Lockheed pulling the plug, that would never happen, they are making money by selling a "commercial sim" to entertainment users, which goes against their EULA, that they agreed upon when they took over the code from Microsoft.  The only one that would pull the plug, is Microsoft, but so far, they don't appear to care.  Yet...

• Upvote 1

Lockheed Martin had gross income of almost $5 billon dollars last year.  The amount of money they make selling P3D is not even a blip on the radar of their financial statement.  Because it is SO inconsequential, you can be sure they will not defend their position, with respect to their agreement with Microsoft, with very much vigor.  It probably also means that the upper management sees P3D as a "toy", or at least a drop in the bucket (especially where the consumer market is concerned) in the overall picture of their business plan, and in their eyes makes it's continued existence rather fragile and certainly not significant.  It may continue to be available to the consumer, it may not, and that uncertainty is something everyone needs to consider when making a choice as to where they will invest their simulator dollars.

BTW, John, P3D has got nothing on SkyMAXX... your product makes X-Plane far superior to anything they have shown yet.

And then they (P3D fan boys) will argue that SkyMAXX is an add-on and we shouldn't be comparing it to "stock" P3D... Oh! the irony!  :)

• Upvote 1

And then they (P3D fan boys) will argue that SkyMAXX is an add-on and we shouldn't be comparing it to "stock" P3D... Oh! the irony!

At this point, I'm just rather tired of all this "different" camp crap. As someone said at Avsim............we all share a common interest, don't we?

As far as I'm concerned, a desktop simulation will just be an extenstion of flight, that I enjoyed in the past. It will be to re-create flights, some nostalgia of piston

machines before my time, and an interest in modern commercial airliners (visted Boeing last evening). I don't care to be limited by one specific simulation. After using

desktop sims since there beginning, I'm well aware of quality additions versus the lesser variety. Each sim has both, and everything in between. 

Most of all, I could care less about comparing stock to addon's. It doesn't mean a damn thing, if you're trying to achieve the best out a simulation. It's pointless to even use

it as an argument, yet so many seem to do so. I don't believe it will benefit too many, to use LM's marketing as an excuse to head the simming population in one specific direction.

Although I don't regularly participate in the LM discussions, it's become a dead issue at the other forum. If developers are counting on P3D to fall through, anytime soon, then

you might want to get a second job, if you haven't already.

• Upvote 1

We are all very lucky that we have a choice of two very good flight simulators which are both being updated. I have both (will be buying P3D 2.0 also) and enjoy both for different reasons. If there was ever one flightsim remaining - that would be a hard choice. If developers would develop more for X-Plane, I'm pretty sure X-Plane would be the winner!

Just for your info - I like FSX/P3D because I like 3D Vision which unfortunately X-Plane can't do because it's OpenGL but I like the feel of X-Plane.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

What gets me about the whole EULA thing is that in essence, it's on par with piracy. True, these licenses are being purchased and not stolen, but its under false pretenses. By the logic some of those fanatics use, it should be okay to copy it to as many computers as anyone wants. Yet, I bet if the license says "Only 1 install on 1 computer", those same hypocrites would vigorously defend LM because "installing to more than one computer is against the EULA."

EDITED TO ADD-- Sorry, John. My rant is off topic. This is about SkyMAXX and (stating the obvious here) it's looking GREAT! Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? .... :D

Edited by jonrd463

What gets me about the whole EULA thing is that in essence, it's on par with piracy. True, these licenses are being purchased and not stolen, but its under false pretenses. By the logic some of those fanatics use, it should be okay to copy it to as many computers as anyone wants. Yet, I bet if the license says "Only 1 install on 1 computer", those same hypocrites would vigorously defend LM because "installing to more than one computer is against the EULA."

EDITED TO ADD-- Sorry, John. My rant is off topic. This is about SkyMAXX and (stating the obvious here) it's looking GREAT! Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? .... :D

I wouldn't worry about P3D or who buys it, just my opinion there.  I hope by titling this post as P3D V2 I didnt offend anyone.  My goal was to throw out a few screenies of SMP to remind folks we are still at it ;)

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 1

There are some differences with HDR on and off mainly at noon.  I have covered this before, it looks OK but we will get it 100% once 10.30 drops and we have access in the SDK....Here are a few shots with HDR turned on...

The first shot is at noon, Im not found of the lighting here but thats me just being a perfectionist as you can see it looks nice but not exactly what I want:

Ot3rbFb.jpg

Here are a couple more at different times of day, looks more enhanced than with HDR off especially the lighting:

EfWUnhc.jpg

8YYdH2o.jpg

Once we have access to the SDK we will tweak the lighting some more, the clouds are a tad too light IMO.....What do you think?  

Here are a couple more just for fun:

9Qzj1Nb.jpg

Om2a5fq.jpg

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 2