What did you fly today?

Maxime

Further exploration of X-Plane on a new GPU.

xpwwgh.png

11j3ofr.png

you seriously need to turn up your rendering settings as I can get those settings and maybe even a little bit higher (pictures below) on a GTX 560 and still maintain 20-21FPS well running at 3840x1080 resolutions. Also how can you get FXAA without HDR being on?

856188_207516179393692_558283215_o.jpg859432_207516126060364_245772501_o.jpg859747_207516596060317_1493878039_o.jpg

you seriously need to turn up your rendering settings as I can get those settings and maybe even a little bit higher (pictures below) on a GTX 560 and still maintain 20-21FPS well running at 3840x1080 resolutions. Also how can you get FXAA without HDR being on?

It's really hard to compare fps pc-to-pc. If it was only for taking screenshots i could crank up all rendering settings to max. And out of curiosity i did when first testing new card on a different PC. Here's what i was able to achieve on a 30" display running 2560x1600 (which has very close pixel count to yours 3840x1080): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8KO35VccXZvZlB3SWRUbTRCZG8/edit?usp=sharing

I was easily hitting 3,5 GB VRAM usage and more!

Anyway, for day to day simming i'm running 1920x1200 (24") and aiming at 30 fps or more when flying complex planes from 3d cockpit (FlyJSim 727, Worldliner 777 etc.) in fps intensive scenarios. Sure, most of the time i'm seeing 60-100 fps but i'm looking at the worst case scenario here. Anything below 30 fps is more of a slideshow to me and i don't want any surprises or constantly adjusting rendering settings when approaching an airport. Try to turn down your settings a little bit, hand fly IFR NPA approach in 60 fps and you'll never go back ;)

As for your settings, i think you sacrifice HDR, clouds and texture res for the number of objects. It's great we have all those sliders and can adjust per personal preference :)

If you want to try my settings, here they are:

10f3kas.png

I don't think you can easily enable FXAA without HDR being on. You could possibly try forcing certain AA mode inside nvidia driver using tools like nvidia inspector, but i doubt it would work as expected.

JazAero, is that your very own creation of the A4E or a payware version? I love the A4 as the NZ Airforce was equipped with them for around 20 years. I have seen an A4 on the other site for sale but never really got interested in it....would love more information about your plane :)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

JazAero, is that your very own creation of the A4E or a payware version? I love the A4 as the NZ Airforce was equipped with them for around 20 years. I have seen an A4 on the other site for sale but never really got interested in it....would love more information about your plane :)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

This is definitely our A4 Skyhawk

2. We've been developing as a future payware project over the last couple of years. Over two years of research a year + of 3-D modeling animations and texturing. I worked on A4's as a jet engine mechanic back in the late 70s the flight model is as accurate as we can make it. All dimensions and flight model information weight and balance and systems come directly from the NATOPS manuals. The animations for this model are as complete as we can make them without resorting to scripting. Basically if it moves on the jet it moves on the plane that includes all hydraulics, mechanics, access panels, control surfaces, the aircraft has full internal structure including a complete animated engine. It has 3-D cockpit consisting of all 3-D geometry

4. All that is left to finish this model is mapping a few digital instrument displays onto the 3-D geometry. I have been having a lot of trouble with this and have been asking for help in the community. I don't know how to use blender and quite frankly too old to learn, I do use 3 DS Max and AC 3-D which has an export script error concerning textures and cockpit objects which is preventing me from finishing this. We will offer it in several versions including A4 C, A4 E, A4 F, blue Angels versions included, and if I can get those digital displays mapped I would also be able to do the NZ version. Since all geometry is already complete. I've even made offers to the right person willing to lend a hand of a percentage of sales as of today no takers. Another of the unique features is the leading edge slats which as you know on A4's are driven by airspeed and G load and ours behave the same. They really are sight to see in operation.

6. Thank you for your interest

Jim

JazAero

Edited by JazAero

Hi JazAero, that is madness modelling, and I love it!!!!! I started in 3ds Max and moved into Maya, which i use now with my 3d printer :)

If you manage the Kiwi version would you base it on the original version or the one after the project Kahu upgrade? Either version is fine with me :)

Do you get much of a hit on the frame rates with all that geometry?

SLainte,

Andy

NZCH

Hi JazAero, that is madness modelling, and I love it!!!!! I started in 3ds Max and moved into Maya, which i use now with my 3d printer :)

If you manage the Kiwi version would you base it on the original version or the one after the project Kahu upgrade? Either version is fine with me :)

Do you get much of a hit on the frame rates with all that geometry?

SLainte,

Andy

NZCH

Thank you for the compliments. My intention was to do the glass cockpit version since I already have the steam gauge version here. One of the goals we set out was to have a no holds barred true representation of this aircraft. But if for instance frame rates got ridiculously slow [which they don't by the way on my system] that a couple of clicks in plane maker and you can omit things like the jet engine, the pilot,the guns etc in order to boost frames. We had toyed with the idea of a low poly version but thought it went against what were trying to do here which was creating a true collectible aircraft.

Jim

JazAero

48080_289919754469286_728681509_n.jpg

551327_289922041135724_1297693286_n.jpg

As you can see from the photos the cockpit still needs a little work. All the gauges are 3-D geometry and all the faces are hand-painted I tried using photo textures but they just didn't scale properly so I went the extra mile and re-created all the instrument faces by hand

Jim
JazAero

• Upvote 3

Over Sweden, just above the (lower) cloud deck. I had filed for FL06 on VATSIM, but ran into icing with the lower layer topping out around 6200'. There was another layer allegedly up around FL09, so I stuck 8000 in the ALT SEL and called it good.

Jetstream32_54_zps711e07ae.png

It's been a long time since I've had an actual voice ATC on VATSIM. Usually there's nobody controlling in the areas of Europe I've been flying (at least not at the times I'm flying). Not sure who Sweden Control was this morning, but he was very good; intelligible English, good volume, easy directions and not too fast for my decrepit mind to comprehend. Here we are established on the ILS for RWY 32 at ESSD. ATC gave me excellent vectors and a descent profile that worked out perfect. 

Jetstream32_56_zps27e08d71.png

• Upvote 1

Hi Jazaero, are you going to add any shadow maps? Its easy to do and wont take much effort, and would look great in the cockpit..... hint hint hint :)

Looking fantastic and cant wait to see the final version ready for flying!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

X-Plane has always been more efficient at drawing geometry then it is at drawing texture. For this reason we believe if there is a shadow present is should be as much as possible because geometry has cast that shadow due to the dynamic lighting effects. I know not all people will agree with me but we try to keep the texturing to a minimum. I've never been much of a fan for shadow maps and bump maps jokingly I look at it as cheating

I think the final result speaks for itself when you look at our plane and compare it with some of the other high-end aircraft out there from a distance they all look pretty good when you get up close that's when you really notice how using textures to create pseudo-geometry fails. I may be all wrong about this but I'll let the work speak for itself. whenever possible, when you see a panel line on our aircraft is because that panel line actually exists between two panels and wasn't drawn there as a texture map or bump map. There are exceptions of course such as lit textures because sometimes the only way to achieve certain lighting effects are only achieved using lit textures. That's not to say I'll never ever ever use bumps or shadows I just prefer not to when possible.

Oh and yes I will on occasion draw those panel lines for expediency's sake, yeah it's breaking my own rules out of neccesity. But, having said all that..., if the customer decides that they want to retexture their aircraft... I say have at it !! show us your results and who knows I may be eating crow. :)

Edited by JazAero

Understand completely Jim, the new rendering in XP10 is a massive jump forward, was just wondering if you were going to use shadow maps as they seem to be the in thing at the moment. I use them in my renderings to give a "bit more realism" so to speak, and only use them with the lowest opacity so as not to overtake the textures. I have grown to like them as they arent that bad, they are also included in the single texture map unlike normals etc. Sometimes the cockpit just needs some well placed shadows to help fool the eye :)

What does everyone else think?

Maybe we should move this to the works in progress page?

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Me also edwin. That's why I'm flying XP 9. When I fly XP10 I use She_Pooley's Simple_Seasons plugin which is nice, but as she says, it's not Winter_World. Flying in Alaska in Winter needs Winter season and XP9 has it.

Look at the Winter scenery I posted yesterday in this video.