What did you fly today?

Maxime

Agree with you John.......a total change.Mind you I found the  clouds in the first few editions of v10 very agreeable but they were very heavy on the fps...too heavy for some machines  I fear. They were transparent from within and had  density.

These were from end of Jan 2012 which must have been the first update after the release of v10....

post-5747-0-91422200-1358552459_thumb.pn

post-5747-0-59321700-1358552517_thumb.pn

post-5747-0-93340800-1358552618_thumb.pn

post-5747-0-93430200-1358552710_thumb.pn

• Upvote 2

Agree with you John.......a total change.Mind you I found the  clouds in the first few editions of v10 very agreeable but they were very heavy on the fps...too heavy for some machines  I fear. They were transparent from within and had  density.

These were from end of Jan 2012 which must have been the first update after the release of v10....

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_13.a.png

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_12.a.png

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_11.png

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_16.a.a.png

I think the difference was the ability to change the size of the cloud puffs.......Which disappeared during a later release.....

I have some nice cloud textures sitting on my computer which will be released for SkyMAXX Extreme but to be honest, they don't present the look I was trying to achieve....

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_13.a.png

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_12.a.png

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_11.png

attachicon.gifCirrus_SR22T_16.a.a.png

Those clouds look awesome. I fear the ones in my version of XP10 (.11, 32-bit, with my settings the way they are) look like dirty little cotton balls. I don't find the plausibly realistic.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Flew this bad-boy from PHNL (that scenery that is about 1.06GB in size and therefore I will never be able to upload it to X-Pilot, unless someone can provide me with a better option for file servers to link to X-Pilot) to PHKO (That scenery that I have barely done ANY work on yet, apart from throwing in a couple of taxi signs). Pictured is just after loading X-Plane 10 at PHNL on 08R.

tumblr_mguqvucyMq1s2oqxno1_1280.png

Also got this nice line-screen of death about two seconds right before touching down in Kona. XP10 64-bit, you've got a little ways to go yet. It looks a bit like a scene out of the original "3D" version of FS.

tumblr_mguqydaDXu1s2oqxno1_1280.png

Yeah Cruster they were better than they look in my representations but they were very heavy on fps. LR did a lot of work on them but eventually settled on  what we have today.

In the version shown in my Pics the clouds were very realistic indeed. 90% of my Sim flying is in Bushcraft around the mountain passes of Washington/ W.Canada where the (Real) weather changes very quickly. The early cloud versions being very realistic allowed one to look for pockets of visability in the valleys. The present version gives two options and nothing between----  Out of clouds (Visability)---- to In cloud (Blank white screen)--either in or out in a flash!!!.

As I say it was very heavy on fps and I don't have a bad machine--it must have been near impossible for a lot of Simmers---hence the compromise---

Think this is where the clouds changed---

X-Plane 10.04 Beta 5

Note: Beta 5 was pulled due to missing texture files.

Clouds:

• Cloud performance has been tuned. The cloud slider is not calibrated the way it was in 10.04b4; please don't worry about the number you see. Tune the slider to get the trade-off of quality and performance you want on your computer. The "100%" mark represents what we think a high-end system might show; you can go past this if you really liked the older high settings from previous betas, but realistically there's no need to do this.
  • The far view clouds should look less strange from orbital altitudes.
Edited by edwin