What did you fly today?

Maxime

There is a small, but substantial difference between default Bell 206 and DreamFoil's 206. I strongly recommend trying the second one, as it's both easier and "more realistic" in flight. While I really enjoy BK117, I still prefer DF's 206 over any other helo, freeware or payware. I'm going to post a short hovering tutorial in "I'm new to X-Plane!" section.

Edit: link to tutorial http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=1950.0

@theogregory

@Nicola_M

These shots almost make me feel like trying to fly an helicopter... Unfortunately it's much too difficult for me. But the pics are temptating...

You should try it. I started flying them about two months ago and I'm very glad I did it. After just a few hours, I had developed a feel for it. After you understand how it works, you realize that it's not much harder to fly than a plane. If you're going to do it, then do it right. Get the Dreamfoil 206, or the BK-117.

Warning: you will get frustrated at first.... :)

I've just performed an experiment :) I've invited my younger brother to take controls of three X-Plane helicopters. As he hadn't had ANY previous flying simulator experience (short of Star Wars X-Wing games), I told him which stick does what and instructed to use small moves. That's all. He pulled on the collective and got into the air. The nose was going around, so he pushed left pedal. All the time he was really sweating, doing hard work on the cyclic :o

At first it was a rollercoaster ride, a crazy and barely controlled aerobatic display, a real fight to keep the blue side up, but after few minutes he got used to it, more or less stabilized the bird and even managed to land on a nearest runway - without breaking anything, although the exact touch down point was somewhat random. He used proper nose-up dynamic braking technique though, and that was something I didn't tell him about! The Force must be strong in this one :(

After the rides, I've asked him about the experience. To my surprise, he enjoyed the most DF 206, even though it was the first helo on the line and theoretically at that point he had the least amount of experience in flying helos in general. He said, it was easy and smooth, as soon as he got used to the controls - more to their coupling, than lag. He found BK117s flight stabilisation to be too twitchy. He said: "it's hard to control the thing, because when I see an instability and want to correct for it, the flight computer does the same thing and the net result is that we both overcontrol the aircraft, making it to move more than desired". My bro liked the quick control response, but missed the "inertia" feel of the Jet Ranger.

Also he made a note of "small moves" requirement - which was totally opposite to his X-Wing technique. He said, that he "used to make a big move and watched what happens, and then to correct the attitude with another big move". Here, he quickly found, that such approach won't work and adjusted for making of small moves, as well as making them before the aircraft did any substantial attitude change.

Honestly, I was surprised, that he didn't crash, managed to fly all the birds from their cockpits after like 30 seconds of instruction and landed 3 times, more or less where I told him to land (and after each landing nothing was broken). And he actually enjoyed the ride!

You didn't say how old your "younger" brother was, but most kids (under 20) pick things up a lot quicker and easier than adults do.

Not sure his analogy of the BK117's stability sounds like it came from someone under 35, for instance I haven't found the flight computer causing me to overcorrect, but the beauty of the BK117 is that you can turn off Stability Augmentation (CSAS) on the instrument panel, so you can still fly it "au naturel" like the Jet Ranger, or stabilised with everything on.

The Jet Ranger doesn't give you the choice.

He is 25 and a half years old. Last time, when he played his X-Wing games, was a good amount of years ago :( But then again, he is interested in martial arts, so he may have a good coordination, that allows him for such quick adaptation. To be clear - I'm not arguing, which helicopter is better or more controllable, as it is a highly subjective thing :) Everyone has its own favourite one, I was just sharing the results of my experiment, which were highly surprising to me, in the first place.

Good idea to give him the bird with the stability turned off :o I may also introduce him to DCS Ka-50, which can be flown either with an art stab in one of two modes or without stabilisation at all (not recommended and actually forbidden in reality). And that is a heavy thing! All X-Plane helos are like dragonflies, compared to the Black Shark. I just have to wait, until my "guinea bro" is around again ;)

Well done and congratulations, Ola.

Make sure you download the Dream Engine plugin for the BK117 - it is fantastic.  http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11927

Nils has also done one of Ben's Gizmo's to help sort out the ETL problem, which you may find helpful.  http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=50175

I've put some handy tips & hints here to help you get the BK set up to be user-friendly. http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=1954.msg18060#msg18060