Dc-3 range

Hi, guys!

I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for so I thought I'd better start a new topic. I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for in the dc-3 manual. How do I get the dc-3 to fly 10 hours or more? It was said that the dc-3 flew across the United States in as little as 15 hours with full tank of fuel(avgas). Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, guys!

I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for so I thought I'd better start a new topic. I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for in the dc-3 manual. How do I get the dc-3 to fly 10 hours or more? It was said that the dc-3 flew across the United States in as little as 15 hours with full tank of fuel(avgas). Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hallo Vincent,

the DC3 have a maximum range of 1500 miles (PW R-1830-92 Twin Wasp or Wright Cyclone R1820-G2).

Real flightplanes for the DC-3 you can find at dc3airways.com.

Best greets

Dirk

Hi, Goran!

i have load of fuel with no payload, any passengers: 0 passengers, outside temperature: 59 degrees F at sea level, altitude: 20,000 feet above sea level, throttle setting: 90%, mixture setting: 75 % of full rich, winds: calm. Thanks! @ Hobelflieger: thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, guys!

That makes sense! Question for you, is there a way to keep the dc-3 flying for 10 hours with a full tank of fuel, and what is the longest endurance time of the dc-3 with the full tank of fuel? I checked this out on the Internet but I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, Goran!

That is true I could change the flight model of the dc-3 to make it fly longer but I wouldn't recommend altering the flight model as dong so would render the dc-3 useless and void the support!! And yes, I can go into fuel and payload screen and fill up while flying and no problem with that. What is the ideal altitude, ideal thottle, ideal mixture, and ideal propeller settings for longest endurance time possible in the dc-3? i looked in the manual but I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for and the dc-3 performance charts in the manual is very confusing. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

I'm no expert on the DC-3 (It's been about 18 months since we finished it), but going from memory, ideally set the power levers to about 75% and the mixture to slightly "lean of peak".  Prop Levers can be set to full forward and altitude to about 20 000 feet.

If any DC-3 afficianado's would like to correct me, the floor is yours.

I can dig up some old doc's and see what I can find.

The "Best Practice" says: 60 + X percent for the throttles or 30 inches of Manifold Pressure, and 2000 + X for rpms. X means a little bit more (2 - 5 percent) is ok, 165 knots are possible.

A further reduction can be made for longer flight at cruise, Props are reduced to 1750 rpms, power is reduced to 25 inches of Manifold Pressure.

(Infos from "myvirtualhanger.com" by Heinz D.)

The infos are ok, I validated it in hundred of hours flying time.

Best Greets

Dirk

Hi, Hobelflieger!

Are those the cruise settings you posted for the dc-3? What is the best flying altitude for the dc-3 for the cruise settings what you posted? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hallo Vincent,

try the settings, they are performal for all situations.

The best cruise is  - for me - between 8500 and 10000 feet.

And - thank you -  for your interest of DC-3. It's really the "Gooney Bird", and flying it makes fun.

See you forward at "dc3airways.com",

best greets,

Dirk

Hi, Hobelflieger!

Got it! Thanks! When I fly in the mountainous terrain, I would fly higher than 10,000 feet. I'll see you forward at dc3airways.com too!

Cheers,

Vincent

Thank you Vincent,

dc3airways is somewhere as an "old-men-flymen-club" with hundredhouthands hours of fly-practice and  we are glad to "Say Hallo and a good flight" to every new member.

Best greets

Dirk