Anyone recognise this?

Nicola_M

Yesterday afternoon I was working in the garden and spotted something flying alongside a conventional low-wing single prop monoplane.  I pointed it out to friends with the words "what the heck is that?" but they're not aviation-minded and wouldn't know the difference between an Airbus and a sorbet.  I've tried googling delta-winged private/small aircraft and all things of that ilk, but I can't find anything that even comes close.

All I know is it was flying towards IWM Duxford airfield, and both it and the monoplane were together - a wing's length apart - and same speed, about 110-120kts. It looked to me like they were travelling together, ie two buddies going from A to B and were keeping pace. There's no way the monoplane pilot could have missed it, and if it had been a UFO I doubt anyone would want to fly alongside it.  Me, I'd be bank right, full throttle, nose down, anything to get away from it.  The way the monoplane pilot flew in a straight line with this thing right next to him means he was either blind, or it was man-made.

I couldn't tell if the object had a prop, but definitely no vertical tailplane, and looked about 20-25ft long.

I'm stumped.  Not saying it's a UFO, as the way it kept with the monoplane, and the monoplane seemed to be travelling with it, made me think it was man-made.  And anyway, UFOs are meant to be round.

I've never seen anything like it. Does anyone know, or have a clue, of any planes that look like this?

edit: I've emailed IWM Duxford for advice, as it's the nearest airfield, but not expecting a reply back.

What the object would have looked like from above/below:

3uwx.jpg

And as I saw it from below and to the side (pointy end travelling forwards, ie down and to the left in this image):

4m2b.jpg

And direction of travel compared to me. (A random street view, not mine, used to show direction of travel in relation to me, to show that I could see the underneath, its profile, and also that my view should have enabled me to see any tailplane).

1rcq.jpg

Edited by Nicola_M

it might be a spyplane or a nasa aircraft. It is probably a nasa aircraft i believe. 

In the sleepiest part of the UK possible?  My thoughts are that it's either some sort of 1950s prototype from Duxford, or it's a more modern design.  Whatever it is, I ain't seen nothin like it before.

If it's a modern design, I'd expect to see it in google, or find a link to it.  Can't be that many (any?) small, private, delta-wing aircraft on the market.

Edited by Nicola_M

There's an airshow coming up at Duxford. Perhaps something to do with that?... (I'm still looking)

EDIT: Avro Vulcan? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Avro_Vulcan_Bomber_RAF.JPEG

I am googling delta wing a/c and the only result so far..

Yeah, that's the route I took - googling delta-winged aircraft.  I know it wasn't a Vulcan.  Far too small, no jet noise, far too slow too.  I can't find anything delta-winged (rounded delta wings too) the size of a small monoplane.

Small delta-wings are rare as it is, let alone ones with such rounded ends. Just hoping Duxford have the answer, as I don't.

Yesterday afternoon I was working in the garden and spotted something flying alongside a conventional low-wing single prop monoplane.  I pointed it out to friends with the words "what the heck is that?" but they're not aviation-minded and wouldn't know the difference between an Airbus and a sorbet.  I've tried googling delta-winged private/small aircraft and all things of that ilk, but I can't find anything that even comes close.

All I know is it was flying towards IWM Duxford airfield, and both it and the monoplane were together - a wing's length apart - and same speed, about 110-120kts. It looked to me like they were travelling together, ie two buddies going from A to B and were keeping pace. There's no way the monoplane pilot could have missed it, and if it had been a UFO I doubt anyone would want to fly alongside it.  Me, I'd be bank right, full throttle, nose down, anything to get away from it.  The way the monoplane pilot flew in a straight line with this thing right next to him means he was either blind, or it was man-made.

I couldn't tell if the object had a prop, but definitely no vertical tailplane, and looked about 20-25ft long.

I'm stumped.  Not saying it's a UFO, as the way it kept with the monoplane, and the monoplane seemed to be travelling with it, made me think it was man-made.  And anyway, UFOs are meant to be round.

I've never seen anything like it. Does anyone know, or have a clue, of any planes that look like this?

edit: I've emailed IWM Duxford for advice, as it's the nearest airfield, but not expecting a reply back.

What the object would have looked like from above/below:

3uwx.jpg

And as I saw it from below and to the side (pointy end travelling forwards, ie down and to the left in this image):

4m2b.jpg

And direction of travel compared to me. (A random street view, not mine, used to show direction of travel in relation to me, to show that I could see the underneath, its profile, and also that my view should have enabled me to see any tailplane).

1rcq.jpg

I cant see anything