Windows X-Plane CTD when changing planes after flying CRJ-200

pryoski

Let me start off by saying that I'm extremely stoked about the CRJ-200.

She's a pleasure to fly and I'll happily setup a separate X-Plane install just for this beauty that I'm slowly getting to know again, if that is what it takes.

The problem I have is that I'm unable to select a different aircraft without X-Plane crashing back to desktop after flying the CRJ.

Any light on the issue or suggestions will be gratefully accepted!  :)

My log is attached, and thanks in advance my friends!

Log_ generated-flying-CRJ200.txt

Edited by Kris Pryo

I've experienced the same thing when shutting down X-Plane with the CRJ loaded. About one in ten shutdowns, the CRJ plugin would crash on shutdown. However, it would never do this for me if I changed to another plane before quitting X-Plane. So I'm curious if this really happens to you when changing to another plane before quitting X-Plane.

Disabling the plugin does the same, of course, and should be the same work-around. 

Unfortunately, there is no fix for that.

I've looked into this with Ben Supnik both on the X-Plane side and CRJ side of things. It seems to be a problem of the Qt library the CRJ is using in combination with changes to the entry point of the 64bit X-Plane application. We cannot fix this, as the Qt library was never intended to work in plugin but relies on controlling the entry point of the application, which is obviously not the case with X-Plane.

Qt in the CRJ is a relic from before I even got on the CRJ - that part is still from the programmer who worked with Javier before I came on board.

However, I'd have done exactly the same thing back then, so no fingerpoiting. I'd probably have gone for Qt back then, too.

No one imagined we'd be using 64bit Qt someday, let alone that 64bit Qt wouldn't play well with 64bit X-Plane.

Yet X-Plane evolved and we had to drag everything up to the next level and up to 64bit.

The only workaround I see is loading another aircraft before quitting, or, if this fails, disabling the plugin before unloading.

That's the price we pay for using an alive platform like X-Plane. In FSX, a program designed and written three years ago will continue to work the same way for as long as there's a computer that runs FSX. In X-Plane, things are evolving.

Edited by philipp

Thanks for the replies :).

Philipp, I'm unable to load another aircraft full stop! Every time I try it crashes :). That's OK .. I'll setup a separate install for the CRJ, as you said, it's the price we pay for playing in an alive sim! Cheers and thanks again.

Okay, so I have been changing the plane a few dozen times now over the last half hour, and did not get one crash.

That means it has to be something specific on your setups. I can confirm that it is not Gizmo.

If you got the crash on Mac, please do the following:

Open Applications/Utilities/Console

Go to User Diagnostic reports.

Find the entries in the list that start with X-plane. The entries are sorted by date, so by looking at the date you should be able to find the crash report that happened when you changed the CRJ plane. Post this report here.

Then this is something new.

However, as no one on X-Plane.org has this problem, it must be something specific to the X-Aviation version or Gizmo. We will investigate.

I find it curious that no one at the Org has had this issue.

Just putting this out as a left field tentative feeler hypothesis from a non-programmer ... it's definitely NOT a criticism, but might it be possible that there's an X-Plane setting that's influenced to affect the CRJ installation because I have other X-Aviation products? (X-Aviation Moo and JetStream 32 ...?). Noting that it would be impossible for people who bought their CRJ from the Org to have such conflicts (between the Org CRJ and other planes they may have from X-Aviation).

Just putting this out as a left field tentative feeler hypothesis from a non-programmer ... it's definitely NOT a criticism, but might it be possible that there's an X-Plane setting that's influenced to affect the CRJ installation because I have other X-Aviation products? (X-Aviation Moo and JetStream 32 ...?). Noting that it would be impossible for people who bought their CRJ from the Org to have such conflicts (between the Org CRJ and other planes they may have from X-Aviation).

Wouldn't make sense. At all. Those other aircraft are only active when selected, and you can bet yourself some big money that those org people almost all have an XA product as well. The only common factor would then be Gizmo, which has been in proving runs for a while now, and co-exists even on the ORG CRJ, 777, etc. 

It's definitely not that.

Philipp is saying this behavior is NOT new. It's only new in the report he got from the one, lone Mac guy here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification Cameron. I've actually got a separate X-Plane install setup now, exclusively for the CRJ.

It's a stock standard original setup + Gizmo (I haven't installed any of my 3rd party plugins) .. so it'll be interesting to see how the CRJ reacts (it could be one of my other plugins!

For information, the 1.5.3 release don’t like XPuipc ( i usualy use it to connect  Plan-g and X plane ), or may be XPuipc don’t like the 1.5.3 release.

To exit X plane without a Crash reporter,  I have to load an other plane, or disable the CRJ200 avionics plugin, or disable XPuipc.

It’s not a problem here, as I don’t need a moving map to fly the CRJ, XPuipc is not mandatory.

Now, waiting for a 64bits IVAO or VATSIM plugin.

Thanks to all.

Claude.

• Upvote 1

Happy to report that on my clean dedicated X-Plane copy for the CRJ .. it all just works. It's such a pleasure to fly the CRJ (JRollon is definitely an X-Plane plane master developer in my books). I never really got to appreciate it to it's fullest when I originally bought it as I had a sub par system back then, and then 64 bit X-Plane came along and it took all my play time :).

Noted that apart from the absence of most of my 3rd party plugins (keeping only Gizmo 64 and Sandy Barbour's cockpit views utility), the only other thing that's different on this particular copy is that I kept the number of calculated flight models to 1 (as recommended in the CRJ doco btw). It would be funny if it's the number of flight models setting that's causing the issue! Come to think of it, I think it's giving me some weird results in the JARDesign A320 as well ... and it's not that I'm experiencing framerate issues or anything, which is what it's meant to help with.

I'll do a little more experimenting tonight .. on my original XP copy .. cheers and thanks for listening!

Edited by Kris Pryo

I very much doubt that it depends on the number of flightmodels. If your fps is high enough that 1 works for you, it is good. However, most of the time you get better results with two, especially when it comes to the autopilot. The autopilot needs really fast recalculation to work properly.

• Upvote 1

Everything works on my new X-Plane build (patched to latest beta) lol. The only plugins I'm not using from the old build is World Traffic, XAssign, and the X-FMC.

Before tonight's out I'll port all my other planes across and make this my default. I've already ported the 777 and the A320neo and have no issues switching between other aircraft and the CRJ; just treating it all like I used to.

So I guess my build just needed a good old spring clean.

Cheers!

Edited by Kris Pryo

Okay, so anyone running a reasonably clean system is good now?

If anyone can get me a Mac crash report, I'm curious. 

Otherwise I consider this case solved. 

The spurious crash when closing X-Plane with the CRJ/Windows/64bit open is not fixable in the current setup unfortunately. But it can be easily worked around by loading a different plane before shutdown or deactivating the plugin. That's what I meant when I said "lost cause".

• Upvote 1