WinterMAXX

JohnMAXX

OK, I repeat what I already wrote on the facebook picture (about the glaciers in your pictures):

One important info ... usually, in winter you don't see the blue ice and the crevasses of glaciers, as they are usually (of course, there might be exceptions) covered under a lot of snow ... So, the glaciers would look much more like the white surrounding (and only very vaguely mimic the underlying structures)

And this is where X-Plane 10's scenery system finally will officially be more complete than than that of FSX. 

As far as I know, default FSX has 4 (actually even 5: normal winter and hard winter) sets of seasonal textures -- so in which regard is having the possibility for just 2 seasons more complete than FSX?

Don't get me wrong, it's great what John is doing here, esp. since Tom Curtis' WinterWorld does not work with v10, because Tom is afraid of future texture changes in XP 10, which would require constant updates of WinterWorld, too.

By the way, John, have thought of making your textures compatible with Simple Seasons? (see http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=18061 )

I havent looked into it yet Mario, but yes I hope to make these textures as automatic as possible at some point. Right now the huge amount of texturing required has me locked into just getting them done. I have looked at simple seasons and it seems to be a fantastic add-on but will it replace coastlines and trees?

Thanks Colin,  Im trying ;)

I havent looked into it yet Mario, but yes I hope to make these textures as automatic as possible at some point. Right now the huge amount of texturing required has me locked into just getting them done. I have looked at simple seasons and it seems to be a fantastic add-on but will it replace coastlines and trees?

I don't know -- it is just a set of scripts which exchange texture files, so it might be handy. But if you do something like you did with the CloudMaxx Installer, you don't need simple seasons, though.

You might be on to something there, but colors in glaciers are not all the visible from the air but rather light dependant during the course of daylight.

I have walk several times on glacier here in Norway, and I can honestly say that it is not many times I have seen coloring except from underneath the galcier it self

(tunneling)

But anyway, in game I think you are allmost there, purhaps a slight less saturation on the cyan?

white_glacier_midday.jpg

• Upvote 2

Totally Chris,

I couldn't agree more, 3rd party development drives innovation within X-Plane......That is what I like about the platform. 

Well I got the info out there and now it is time to finish this product.... :)

Here is another one at dusk showing how normal maps help with shadows.  The new normals are more subtle but have more of an impact then you may realize....

Yv9jNg9.jpg

And for Tom, I have cut down the color saturation in the glacier textures and cut down the intensity of the normal maps. The textures now follow the slope of the mountain as well.....I love it, still different from the surrounding textures but it seems more in context with the overall scene....THANKS!

4M4HlDJ.jpg

And under the right lighting conditions the glaciers still maintain an "icy" appearance....

N2T7iwz.jpg

WinterMAXX is really starting to become more than I imagined it could be....super duper excited about it  :D

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 4

Simple Season is supporting all folders starting with "1000" in the default scenery folder, that means it is switching the trees too. I dont know how XP10 is doing the coastlines, i see only 1 file coastline.dds in "900 beaches. If XP10 is using this file then my script is not supporting it but you can fix it easy: remane the folder "900 beaches" to "1000 beaches" and my script is switching it too.

• 2 weeks later...