GTX 680 or Radeon HD 7970

Flying_pig

I have been using AMD for years and have seen no problem with Xplane  . My current Card is a Gigabyte 7870 OC . They always say that NVidia does OpenGL better but I have never had a problem . May be someone can let me know what I am Missing as far as OpenGL is concerned . As far as I'm concerned AMD works just fine with Xplane .

I have been using AMD for years and have seen no problem with Xplane  . My current Card is a Gigabyte 7870 OC . They always say that NVidia does OpenGL better but I have never had a problem . May be someone can let me know what I am Missing as far as OpenGL is concerned . As far as I'm concerned AMD works just fine with Xplane .

I am not suggesting that AMD has a "problem" at all, as I have also been using AMD GPUs since early version 8 of X-Plane.  What has been stated often both here and at the .Org is that Nvidia OpenGL driver performance has been proven to be better on Windows machines, and for that reason my next flightsim rig will have an Nvidia GPU.

If the performance of your AMD GPU is meeting your expectations, then by all means, enjoy it!    :)

Edit:  Fixed a couple of typos...

Edited by SqrtOfNegOne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Decided to go with amd 7970 do to the fact that A. It's $100 dollors cheaper B. I own a render farm that now has a gtx 560 in it so as long as the card works fine in solid view mode I Don't care about rendering as Nvidia still handles that C. i Currently have a 560 I will see a boost in performance bad drivers or not

Also I should mention that it currently is in the mail so good luck changing my mind

Here's a link to the actual card i bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413

Also i already have plans for my 550 TI and the games are heading to ebay

• 4 weeks later...

Ok little update, Bad news: I have recieved to 7970's and both were DOA :( i have since requested a refund and am going to buy a nvida based card

Good news: Turns out newegg lists their game coupons as seperate items when you buy your video card so neweg gave me $180 for my inconveniences :) also just learned that cycles doesn't support gpu rendering with amd cards so I really dodged a bullet by recieving 2 DOA cards

Unrelated: is it normal to receive two doa cards in a row from Gigabyte?

If you were to compare the reviews of equivalently clocked 670s given the same amount of VRAM, you'll find the results to be within typical sampling error margins.  There isn't a significant difference.

Generally the support from EVGA and ASUS is considered pretty good.  Just find the best deal you can.