RealScenery Tennessee - Preview Images - Pre-Processed

RealScenery

Our latest scenery work is for the State of Tennessee. This is going to be an exciting product for us and we hope you enjoy this preview. Like all of our other scenery projects, there are many steps and several different software packages used in getting the final imagery into X-Plane. We are almost finished processing the raw images.

The preview area features screenshots around the greater Nashville area. These images have had no additional processing and are still in their raw state.

Feel free to post comments or questions here!

Enjoy!

Zoomed-in map view showing the Cumberland River northeast of Nashville.

screenshot_24.jpg

An interesting shot showing default X-Plane scenery on top, RealScenery on the bottom.

screenshot_25.jpg

Zoomed-in map view showing the detail of the rural landscape northeast of Nashville.

screenshot_26.jpg

Flying along the Cumberland River.

screenshot_29.jpg

Always new things to explore during first flights with new scenery!

:P

screenshot_31.jpg

A nice VFR flight to get that $100 hamburger. ;D

screenshot_34.jpg

Flying along the seam - can you tell which is which?

screenshot_37.jpg

Flying at higher altitude after a spring time thunderstorm close to sunset.

screenshot_39.jpg

Flying over downtown Nashville with objects turned on. KBNA in the distance.

screenshot_44.jpg

The X-Plane water matches the imagery perfectly.

screenshot_40.jpg

I look forward to this. I just flew my Baron last week to Knoxville downtown island (got a great video I hope to post soon), Tullahoma to the Beech museum, and Mcminnville for $2.45 avgas on the way back.

I am a sucker for photoreal scenery.

Geofa - glad you liked the TN preview. Nice to hear from another real pilot. Many of our customers are real pilots and, like you, enjoy flying with real imagery under their wings. This should be a fun package to fly. Working with some of the imagery in rural eastern TN really makes me want to get this into X-Plane to see what it's like!

I wanted to give everyone an update... The first phase of image processing is now complete! This involves completing the initial processing of all the raw imagery and is the most labor-intensive step.

The next steps involve all of the image processing to make the imagery really look sharp in X-Plane. This includes removing and reducing atmospheric haze, sharpening, and saturation adjustment. Resampling of all images to their final resolution will also be completed during this phase.

The final image count for the state of Tennessee will be over 17,500! This will be the largest and highest resolution state package yet! :)

I'll get more preview images posted as they become ready to bring them into X-Plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding work!  Since I live in Tennessee, I'm really looking forward to this package.

Additionally, a suggestion:  since the Southern California area is the most popular on VATSIM, a SoCal scenery package would be very popular I think.  I realize you typically work on a full-state basis, but California is obviously a huge chunk of work, so I certainly wouldn't see a problem with splitting it up into SoCal and NorCal packages.

Wadesworld,

Thanks for the nice comments. :( They are always appreciated. We are really looking forward to this TN release. The image quality is outstanding and we've developed some new image processing techniques that really enhance the details of the imagery.

Also, look for a California package from us in the future! This is still in the early stages, but it's on our list and most likely will be in multiple parts, such as NORCAL and SOCAL. Hopefully some HR packages for California as well, similar to our PhoenixHR and TucsonHR scenery packages, which are higher resolution than the statewide packages.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the photos (which are subject to lots of influences) there seems to be a just a small amount of excess blue. Also saturation may be high. People like the brilliant Technicolor initially but after awhile high saturation becomes an issue.

Glad to see an Eastern state receive treatment. I love Utah in FSX  but I live in PA and TN is close enough. Will eventually erase FSX since it has no evolutionary capability and I like change.

Hi Dick,

Yes you're right. As stated in the first post in this forum, these are "preview" images and haven't had any image processing done. During image processing, we removed this excess blue from the original images and they are much improved over the images show here. Each image undergoes about a dozen steps from the time it's created to the time it's ready for X-Plane.

Also, as you indicated, there are a lot of influences into how an image will appear including:

Software used to view the image.

Video card

Monitor

File format

Operating system used (Mac/PC/Linux all render a bit differently)

Even X-Plane puts its own spin on how images look.

Thanks for your comments. Overall, I think this package will be a lot of fun to fly in X-Plane and we're very excited about it.

Eric

Hi John,

We've completed all of the scenery production for TN. What we are working on now is the transition to selling through X-Aviation. X-Aviation is developing an online store complete with downloads of all of our scenery packages. We are also getting DVDs manufactured for all of our scenery packages. The conclusion of all this work should only be a short time away and we will release TN and the rest of our products all at the same time on X-Aviation.com.

Thanks for your patience!  :)

Eric