here is a workaround for the joystick situation

Ok, so most of you have probably had a run in with the control lock 'feature'.

If you want to be able to just load the plane without going through the hoops you can install the xassign plugin. This creates an assignment profile that is saved in plane folder and is loaded every time.

To set it up you need to:

1. Load any other plane, set up the controls as you want them for the Jestream

2. Select "Plugins - xassign - Save Global Set 1"

3. Load the Jetstream and select "Plugins - xassign - Load Global Set 1"

4. Select "Plugins - xassign - Save set 1"

now you have your settings saved, and will load every time you open the plane, regardless of how you quit, or start the simulator, yay!

this will create a file called "Jetstream32.acf.1.axes" located in the aircraft folder. If you ever want to change your setup you need to delete this file and then do steps 1-4 again.

P.S.

No offense to anyone, but I for one find this 'feature' very annoying, and in my very unprofessional opinion, considering  the necessary trade-off's it is not worth simulating.

• Upvote 1

P.S.

No offense to anyone, but I for one find this 'feature' very annoying, and in my very unprofessional opinion, considering  the necessary trade-off's it is not worth simulating.

Then you have a work around and should be happy. For those that DO appreciate a more true experience, they can have it just as it already exists.

• Upvote 2

I always think that if you give something different to people that is good (in this case I think is good because totally simulates the lock of a controls! and stick pusher) they usually don't like it because they like the confortable way they were using. Sometimes changes are pain, but if they are for good, for me are always well received (after using them sometimes).

I remember when I flought the ATR-500. To make that plane load correctly, first the user had to load the cessna default with engines stop. In this case, this is the same but when exist xplane.

but that solution is good if it still locks your joystick. How many times when I was taxing I almost hit with something because didn't unlock UPPPSS!!!  :lol:

Edited by Japo32

As an ex flight instructor, I applaud Javier's modelling of the "control locks", and I do know this is only a simulator, but complacency around aircraft (i.e. taking control locks for granted) can have serious consequences :mellow: . I had intended just to post a link to the video, but decided against it as I didn't want to upset anyone.

post-7830-0-17050400-1356177103_thumb.jp

Cessna729.

I had a run in with this FEATURE the first time I set the plane up as well.  Part of that was not completely Reading The Fine Manual ... so I blame myself.  Now I don't even think about it ... it's just part of the normal startup/shutdown process.  Thanks for another great aircraft Javier!

• Upvote 1

Hi Javier,

I haven't purchased the jetstream32 yet ( I'm contemplating whether to do despite not having space for a desk and all my equipment in storage right now) and was wondering what this feature actually means.

I was going through the manual and if I have understood correctly does it mean that if I quit x-plane with the jetstream32 loaded the next time I load x-plane I would have all the joystick axis assignments lost?

Also, whilst on the subject, is the fuel_cutoff_axis you recommend not to map to the joystick the more commonly called mixture_axis? would it be fine to have the mixture_axis mapped?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

L

Hi Javier,

I haven't purchased the jetstream32 yet ( I'm contemplating whether to do despite not having space for a desk and all my equipment in storage right now) and was wondering what this feature actually means.

The feature is for control surfaces to be locked when the aircraft is 'off' or unattended. This is common in the real world to prevent damage or movement of aircraft parts in scenarios like high winds.

I was going through the manual and if I have understood correctly does it mean that if I quit x-plane with the jetstream32 loaded the next time I load x-plane I would have all the joystick axis assignments lost?

No. X-Plane remembers the last opened aircraft in a sim session, so if you open the Jetstream as your first sim session aircraft AND in your last sim session you had locked the control surfaces then it will be necessary to open a new aircraft other than the Jetstream. This will restore your joystick settings. In short, if you're about to exit X-Plane don't re-lock the control surfaces before exiting, or just open a new aircraft if you want to be like a real pilot and choose to lock the surfaces. All in all, it's not a big deal.

Let me just say, take 5-10min to read the manual carefully or check the clarifications here on the forum, it's not at all complicated, I believe it's well explained.

This is absolutely not any sort of reason to stay away from this plane! many may actually like it, just depends on

how you use your sim. My workaround above is an option for those who don't want to use the feature.

Buy it! :) IMHO you won't have so much fun if you don't! :(

If you did have any slight problem with your setup (which I don't expect you will having read the manual ;) ), Javier, Camaron and the rest of us "sim pilots" who inhabit the X-Aviation forums, will give you a hand to get it sorted!

Go on do it! you know you want to! :lol:

Any who... Merry Christmas!

cessna729.

Buy it! :) IMHO you won't have so much fun if you don't! :(

If you did have any slight problem with your setup (which I don't expect you will having read the manual ;) ), Javier, Camaron and the rest of us "sim pilots" who inhabit the X-Aviation forums, will give you a hand to get it sorted!

Go on do it! you know you want to! :lol:

Any who... Merry Christmas!

cessna729.

I have to agree.  There are other developers who also use control locks and have the same issue if their plane is the last loaded with the control locks set.  It's really a non-issue, imho, and should not deter you from purchasing this aircraft.  At the moment I just don't want to fly anything else!  :wub:

Thank you all for the great feedback, believe me I'm struggling as I'd love to buy it but I realistically won't have access to a desk to restore my flight sim gear for at least 6 months and am currently stuck to my laptop.  All my nice saitek and thrustmaster gear is in storage and awaiting for the right time to move to a bigger flat... argh! :-)

BTW Have a Merry Christmas

L

It would certainly help to have a quick start PDF, that states this feature, so people are aware of the problem with no axis available without just telling them to read the manual. 

I had no assigned axis the other day, when I fired up X-Plane, even though it was shut down prior without locking them. Although being aware of the issue, it took me 3 restarts of X-Plane to get the axis functioning again.

I also don't find the warning explanation in red type about handling the locking feature in the manual written very clearly. I read that at least 4 times and still wasn't so sure about how it works, but maybe I am the problem here, since I am not a native speaker.

Hi, to one and all at this festive time! :)

In case anyone is missing having joystick prop control (using a spare axis and not button), you can still use F3 and F4 on your keyboard to vary the prop control in the new BAE-32 ver 1.01 (as axis prop control has been removed from ver 1.01). Listed in FIXES #2 on Cameron's post. If like me, you miss having prop control on your joystick, just assign two buttons to sim/emgines/prop_up and prop_down :) . Cos, you still have mouse control of the props.

All the new liveries are fantastic :) and all ready just in time for Christmas :D , so here's wishing Javier and Cameron a well erned Christmas vacation!

cessna729.

Edited by cessna729

wich preference file stores the Axis-Settings? I'd do a backup of it just in case running the Jetstream and X-Plane crashes, one would have to re-do all the settings. Instead one would just move the backupped file in the prefs folder.

If I remember right, no file is altered. It is all within memory for the sim session.

If I remember right, no file is altered. It is all within memory for the sim session.

yes, in sim. But upon quitting X-Plane does save the setting (= null axis assigned). Crashing not. So ok, it would still be a good file to have as a backup, just in case one forgets to load another plane before quitting.

Ok, so most of you have probably had a run in with the control lock 'feature'.

If you want to be able to just load the plane without going through the hoops you can install the xassign plugin. This creates an assignment profile that is saved in plane folder and is loaded every time.

To set it up you need to:

1. Load any other plane, set up the controls as you want them for the Jestream

2. Select "Plugins - xassign - Save Global Set 1"

3. Load the Jetstream and select "Plugins - xassign - Load Global Set 1"

4. Select "Plugins - xassign - Save set 1"

now you have your settings saved, and will load every time you open the plane, regardless of how you quit, or start the simulator, yay!

this will create a file called "Jetstream32.acf.1.axes" located in the aircraft folder. If you ever want to change your setup you need to delete this file and then do steps 1-4 again.

P.S.

this doesnt seem to work in v.10..is it just me??