SimCity 2013

OlaHaldor

Some of you might already know it, others might not even care. Sim City is coming in 2013.

There have been harsh criticism on the EA and Maxis forums about lacking information about how it will be in-game. Interviews with sound engineers and producers haven't been all that interesting for the community. Many have asked for an in-game video of what the game looks and feels like.

Yesterday, they uploaded a video. And I'm nothing but impressed. It looks intuitive, informative, and plain awesome. The interface is slick and sexy, the overlay info graphics are a great way to show what's going on.

Edited by OlaHaldor
  • Upvote 3

I started with Sim City 2000 in the 90's, on my uncles PC. So I was keen to go visit him a lot. I didn't quite understand it all, because I was so young, but it's been one of those games I've always had installed, along with Settlers.

If you head over to their website, you can apply to be a beta tester. I did it months ago, crossing fingers there's a beta coming soon so we can check it, and give feedback on what's good and bad.

Looks amazing. Like a WED 3 on steroids!

Nah, I'll pass up the opportunity to build revolting suburbia in pristine wilderness. Maybe if they make new scenarios where you can start with a huge metropolis and force it into economic decline and make it fail and turn it back into wilderness. Just like real life :-)

I learned an amusing fact about Sim City and Microsoft.

The original Sim City was released for DOS back in the time of the dinosaurs. When Windows 95 was in beta-testing, Microsoft discovered that Sim City would crash when running in Windows 95. So, Microsoft decompiled Sim City, stepped through the code, and discovered a bug in Sim City: it was trying to use a section of memory immediately after declaring it no longer needed that section of memory. Under DOS/Windows 3.1, the data would still be there anyway and the program would run. But Windows 95's memory allocator acted more quickly and the data would be overwritten quickly.

The solution?

Add code to Windows 95 which detects Sim City, and if Sim City is running, run the memory allocator in a different mode which stops Sim City's bug from making Sim City crash.

Because if Sim City crashes in the new version of Windows, people will blame Windows for being buggy, even though it's Sim City's bad behaviour which causes the crash.

I'm impressed by old Microsoft's commitment to maintaining backwards compatibility. Apple for example are merciless about allowing non-conforming programs (which use some undocumented, unofficial feature for better performance) to break when they upgrade the OS.

I got this from Joel Spolsky's blog here: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html Scroll down to "The Two Forces in Microsoft" - it's a long post.