x-plane airports

clmooring

I am a new member and have only downloaded the demo version of X-plane yesterday.

I tried going to my local airport Norfolk International (KORF) it was basically an airport floating in water.  I assumed that the norfolk scenery just is not included in the program.

So, I brought up JFK, KJFK.  It too was just runways floating in water.  Is this because I just have the demo software or are these airports not, even JFK, not loaded.

I went to JFK because I wanted to see the frame rates with New York City scenery.  Couldnt find NYC; just water.

The demo only includes the terrain for the Innsbruck, Austria area and a small piece of Southern California.

In order to get terrain and buildings for the rest of the world, you need to install the scenery from the retail DVDs.

Be advised, however, that without add-on custom scenery LOWI will be the only airport with terminals, etc. on the field.

Howdy, Clmooring!,

It's nice having you here, and welcome to the community!

As Dhruv has stated, the reason you aren't seeing anything but water is because you have the Demo version of X-Plane. The only areas of actual scenery included are KSBD and the default Innsbruck that you see when you start the sim for the very first time. If you'd like to have ORF and JFK or any other places for that matter, you'll need to purchase the full retail version.

It's a great sim. Fly around the available areas, see how it performs for you, and if you like what you see, you can almost guarantee it will perform just the same in the rest of the sim once purchased! ;)

Hope to see you around more often!

You mentioned that you wanted to see New York scenery.  X-Plane does not currently have "recognizable" scenery per se.  It has autogen scenery that can provide buildings and things, but you won't see any recognizable buildings or landmarks.  This is one of the things laminar is working towards though and hopefully in the next year, we'll see more and more landmarks within the sim during releases.