The GPU war continues

larjeet

Hahaha, at least afer 21/12 we won't have any upgrade worries.

Good news for AMD 7 series though, I've just read some tests that show that it has a HEAP of overclocking headroom, I think the 680 doesn't blow it away as much as the first tests showed if that's considered. Hmm, if the 7970 drops in price, I might try SLI for the first time ever! It's all too confusing sometimes.

7970 have a lot of OC headroom that's for sure (more than 680), but we need the Laminar/AMD Fix to start using XP10. Personally I'm waiting for 6GB AMD7970 Eyefinity 6 because I'm on 5 monitor setup (unfortunately GTX680 is limited to 3). On the other side Nvidia is preparing high end GPU with 512bit bus. People with high resolution systems (4-10Mpix) are still waiting for good GPU solution and optimized 64bit app.

regards

arti

• 1 year later...

I know that talking about anything below the absolute top is kinda taboo in this forum, but I'm wondering about the GT640 GPU, specifically this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130796

It has 2gigs of RAM, PCIe3.0, seems pretty cool compared to that it's definitely not a gamer card. How would X-Plane 10 run on this hardware?

I know that talking about anything below the absolute top is kinda taboo in this forum, but I'm wondering about the GT640 GPU, specifically this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130796

It has 2gigs of RAM, PCIe3.0, seems pretty cool compared to that it's definitely not a gamer card. How would X-Plane 10 run on this hardware?

XP10 won't be fun with this card. Try to get a used GTX560 1 GB instead. It's a quite solid card and used ones are sold for around 100 dollars at ebay. Or go for the littel faster GTX560ti or GTX 560 448 for around 120 dollars.

Flo

Edited by FloB

Graphics cards still confound me. :)

Funny how a new low-end card is vastly inferior to an older high-end card available for the same price. I wonder why they made the new card in the first place, instead of just selling older models as the low-end, like Apple does with the iPhone. Maybe for reduced power consumption, I guess...

Graphics cards still confound me. :)

Funny how a new low-end card is vastly inferior to an older high-end card available for the same price. I wonder why they made the new card in the first place, instead of just selling older models as the low-end, like Apple does with the iPhone. Maybe for reduced power consumption, I guess...

It can be weird but it is definitely worth it in my opinion. The disadvantage is it takes longer to bring out a whole new line of products.

draft_lens18817520module154793416photo_1

Looks as though a GTX580 has similar performance to a GTX 660 Ti which is a much cheaper card.

Power consumption is one point, others are size, noise, PCI 3.0 support, 2GB Ram.

Even if new cards are slower than olders - they always have some advantages too.

And of course a used card without guarantee can't be compared to a new one when it comes to prices...  

Flo

I find it amazing that a small war hasn't started in this thread in the year that it's existed. That said i'm both an amd and nvidia user so as long as the card works well,is fast, and well priced i don't care who makes it

Also flob a gtx 560 is not a good card these days you should note how it is close in performance to a gtx 650ti a much cheaper card that uses less power really what you should buy is a 660ti or 670

I find it amazing that a small war hasn't started in this thread in the year that it's existed.

It is a fare point but it just because of drivers...

If you are using a PC, a nvidia card at the moment is simply superior (due to drivers, but amd cards are not bad technically).

If you are using a Mac you have very little choice, but if you can choose an amd card is not a bad idea (this is the minority though).

If you are using a Mac you have very little choice, but if you can choose an amd card is not a bad idea (this is the minority though).

I had the pleasure to stick the new Sapphire 7950 into my Mac Pro for 15 minutes and boot into Mountain Lion 10.8.3 in order to test it with X-Plane. Result of the short test: Compared to my 5870 I could then use HDR with 4x AA and push texture res up to extreme without FPS loss, more of a lillte gain. I still won't be able to turn most stuff to the extreme, expecially in dense areas. Not sure about global shadows - had different results in the short test.

But still, it might be a worthy upgrade for people who don't rely on Snow Leopard anymore and want to use HDR. I'm definately considering it, but for one business software I am a bit stuck with 10.6.; but I'm already thinking through some alternatives.

The Card:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

There's also a GTX680 Mac Edition coming:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00730/

I find it amazing that a small war hasn't started in this thread in the year that it's existed. That said i'm both an amd and nvidia user so as long as the card works well,is fast, and well priced i don't care who makes it

Also flob a gtx 560 is not a good card these days you should note how it is close in performance to a gtx 650ti a much cheaper card that uses less power really what you should buy is a 660ti or 670

Sigmoid was obviously looking for a cheap card (GT 640 is about 80 dollars). That was the reason I pointed him to a used GTX 560 - for less than 100 dollars. A GTX 650ti costs 120+ dollars and isn't more powerful than a GTX 560. A GTX 560ti is even faster. A 650ti should be considered a good choice nonetheless.

660ti and 670 are high-end gaming cards - and cost more than 250 dollars.

However

Edited by FloB

igmoid was obviously looking for a cheap card (GT 640 is about 80 dollars). That was the reason I pointed him to a used GTX 560 - for less than 100 dollars. A GTX 650ti costs 120+ dollars and isn't more powerful than a GTX 560. A GTX 560ti is even faster. A 650ti should be considered a good choice nonetheless.

However

I definitely don't want to spend above $400 on graphics, as it seems overkill given that I'm not such a huge gamer. Beside flight simulation all I normally play are 2d stuff like Cave Story and the like.

The main reason I was looking at the 640 was that it seemed to be the only single-slot card worth a mention, but looking at the results, I guess nowadays you don't get decent power out of anything smaller than a truck. :) And since the price difference between an acceptable card and a crappy card seems insignificant compared to the price of the computer, I might as well go with an acceptable one.

...BTW, it seems that a used GTX 580 with 1.5GB costs exactly the same as a new GTX 660 Ti with 2GB. :) According to benchmarks, they are identical... Then, from what I gather, the 580 has four times the clock speed, and quarter the cores of the 660 Ti...

Edited by Sigmoid
  • Upvote 1

Sigmoid was obviously looking for a cheap card (GT 640 is about 80 dollars). That was the reason I pointed him to a used GTX 560 - for less than 100 dollars. A GTX 650ti costs 120+ dollars and isn't more powerful than a GTX 560. A GTX 560ti is even faster. A 650ti should be considered a good choice nonetheless.

However

First i never said a 650ti was faster then a 560 i said they were very close also a 560 goes for about $100 USED on EBAY which means it might not even work (and may break within a very short period of time) and will most likely not have a warranty (unless it's from PNY as they have a lifetime warranty on their 560) a 560ti cost $120 brand new with a full warranty also it uses much less power than a 560 which makes it cheaper over time and a 560TI would probably cost more (or about the same) as a 650ti boost not to mention currently the 600 series comes with $100 in game credits (150 for 660+) which can be sold for probably $75 on ebay therefore making a 650ti cost only $45 brand new

I never said you said...and I already agreed that a 650ti is a good choice for the said reasons.

Is it true that in game credits are sold at ebay? If that's true a 650ti is the winner. Never heard about it  - but never cared too.

Now let's end this.

F.