Passenger Window Placement

Erny_Module

1 hour ago, airfighter said:

No, but what's in you mind?

Well, I was looking around for a suitable livery to try out, and settled on one for Alaska Airlines, as it was a passenger rather than cargo version. And it looked good too!

Notably, it has blue lines that run the length of the fuselage, the top line above the passenger windows starts just behind the rear cockpit window, around half way up, with two shorter lines above it, the top aligning with the top of the cockpit windows. But, when I tried it out on the model, they wouldn't fit, so I checked out some drawings, and it seems that the passenger windows on the LES model are too far up. I suspect that on the real aircraft, there's a longeron inside that runs from the cockpit windows, all the way aft, and forms the lower sill of the rear cockpit window and also the top of the passenger windows. I've attached a few pics which should show what I mean.

1530388812_2DC-3Side.thumb.jpg.b44d5c80fb78b53dc235d667eaa2d950.jpg

I generated UV maps from the LES model using this website: XPObjUVImage. Load in an .obj file, and it generates UV maps - very handy!

So, I abandoned Alaska Airlines and started an RAF Desert Camouflage scheme where that wouldn't be an issue!

I do 3D modelling for my day job, so I know what's involved in making a super accurate model of this complexity, and how difficult it is to go back and adjust something like the windows position. 

1 Alaska Airlines.jpg

0 Alaskan Airlines DC3.jpg

3 Thats All Brother Profile.jpg

4 Cutaway.jpg

7 minutes ago, airfighter said:

@Erny_Modulewill be fixed, plus a few more things, but won't be available "next week". Also will require some livery tweaking as well.

Great news, and much appreciated, but I certainly won't be expecting it anytime soon - I know quite well what's involved, so you have my complete understanding and appreciation.

I must add though, that it in no way affects my overall enjoyment of the aircraft, how it flies or the systems - I spend 99% of the time in the cockpit, so really, you'd never know, but it's a problem when it comes to liveries as may of them are designed around the position of fixed objects on the aircraft, i.e. windows and doors and the like. 

As always, the best is yet to come!

• Like 2