Abandoning This Aircraft

Mandretti

Warning - rant coming.  Abandoning CL650 - too many CTDs and other issues.  Just really tired of spending hours setting up flights only to CTD at some point.  Yes - pulled plugins, yes reverted NVIDIA driver, yes updated NVIDIA driver, yes posted on Discord, yet posted on X-Pilot, yes pulled custom scenery etc, no - nothing in XP log, no - nothing in Windows Event Viewer etc.  This is a very expensive aircraft, and very well modeled, extremely realistic blah blah.  Yes to all that - and bottom line - its not any fun with this ever-present issue.  Spending way too much time troubleshooting.   Really disappointing and frustrating.  And given that this was about the only aircraft I was using on a regular basis in XP - probably done with XP too.  Back to MSFS which has it's issues as well - but not like this. 

OK - done with rant.  Feel much better.....

• Like 1

I totally understand your rant, and agree troubleshooting can be very frustrating. I've occasionally found similar annoyances in X-Plane and sometimes it's easy to run out of energy and motivation to continue to troubleshoot.  Rest assured it's as frustrating for the developers and publishers because they really do take a lot of pride in the product and seeing customers have a negative experience is very frustrating for everybody.

From some very brief discussions there's a working theory that the issue could be related to antivirus software interacting badly with the simulation. I've seen various reports of this with other aircraft in X-Plane over the years, and there's a good possibility this could be the case for you.

If you ever find yourself wanting to try X-Plane and the Challenger again then temporarily disabling your antivirus would be a good place to start for troubleshooting.

You can start X-Plane when online, make sure the licence is up-to-date for the Challenger and then restart X-Plane when offline if that would make you feel happier without antivirus. If this does allow the Challenger to operate then we could continue to problem solve from there, but no pressure - as I said I understand how frustrating it can be to spend sim time on troubleshooting.

If you are keen to explore the troubleshooting further, the Hot Start Discord is probably the easiest medium for this is it's slightly more interactive. Don't hesitate to tag me on there if/when you get back to it - one of the developers, moderators or the community will be there to try and help you.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2023 at 7:40 PM, Mandretti said:

probably done with XP too

I hope you'll not completely give up on X-Plane (assuming your issue is with XP12). I might suggest taking a break for the moment while LR roll out more updates. I understand your frustrations. I have had more CTD with XP12 than with any XP11 updates (I came in on XP11.2 I believe). However, since the last XP12 update I can complete more than 90% of the flights, maybe more. I still have occassional CTD's. For some reason I can't fly the CL650 in Non-Persistent mode for CTDs. I had to roll back my Nvidia drivers to a much older version to avoid Windows crashes, which occurred randomly with or without the sim running (ASUS TUF Z690 motherboard).

Anyway, I've read through enough flight sim forums to learn that a lot of us have been where you are. Keep an eye out for the next XP12 update and give XP another try then. There's a great deal more satisfaction in TO and Landing in XP, IMO.

• Like 1