[XP12] Problem with cabin movement (WASD) getting stuck in perpetual movement

fortin

In flight, when walking around the cabin, especially with some condition I have yet to reproduce 100% of the time, a key stays "stuck".

Sometimes it's the "forward" movement (W), I've had it happen with "right strafe" (D) as well. And no amount of changing cameras (Shift+1-9) stops it. The camera just keeps moving as if the key was stuck. I've tried minimizing the game, going to settings, I can't find what's causing it.

In Windows, if I open Notepad, it's not typing the key in question (like spamming "wwwwwwwwwwww"), so the key is not physically or virtually stuck at the OS level, it's really just the movement of the camera that is stuck.

I scanned the 24 pages of issues and couldn't find anyone who had reported this before. Am I the only one to whom this happens?

thanks!,

f.

Edited by fortin
added xplane version in title

• fortin changed the title to [XP12] Problem with cabin movement (WASD) getting stuck in perpetual movement

Timestamp: 54m55s

As I'm walking in the cabin, I'm holding a combination of W, D and right mouse click, and there's a brief stutter, then "Forward movement" becomes stuck. Even if I open menus, etc, it still keeps going. I try to counteract it with "S", but it only stops moving while I have S pressed down, as soon as I stop pressing it, the movement resumes. When this happens, the only solution I've found was to restart X-Plane.

4 minutes ago, fortin said:

Also if I sit on the captain's chair, camera just keeps moving forward through the cockpit and out of the aircraft when this happens.

Once X-Plane loses the “key up” event there’s nothing in the custom camera management to “snap out of it” that I know of. This is ultimately a bug in the simulator with keyboard handling.

Edited by Pils

Have you seen this issue reported at the sim level somewhere? I wasn't able to find anything about the issue on the Xplane forums either, and the Challenger is the only plane that I know that has these WASD camera movement overrides, so I haven't run into this problem before (even though it may exist).

32 minutes ago, fortin said:

Have you seen this issue reported at the sim level somewhere? I wasn't able to find anything about the issue on the Xplane forums either, and the Challenger is the only plane that I know that has these WASD camera movement overrides, so I haven't run into this problem before (even though it may exist).

Losing keyboard events is well known by addon developers, particularly those making use of custom popups. Hence will manifest in different ways to users, depending on the addon, so might be hard to search for.

If you like you can disable the WASD capturing that's done by the CL650 in User Settings, and then bind the "move view fast" commands manually in X-Plane's keyboard controls window (to the same or different keys, readers' choice). This may alleviate the one source of "stuck keys".

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 9:11 PM, fortin said:

In flight, when walking around the cabin, especially with some condition I have yet to reproduce 100% of the time, a key stays "stuck".

Sometimes it's the "forward" movement (W), I've had it happen with "right strafe" (D) as well. And no amount of changing cameras (Shift+1-9) stops it. The camera just keeps moving as if the key was stuck. I've tried minimizing the game, going to settings, I can't find what's causing it.

In Windows, if I open Notepad, it's not typing the key in question (like spamming "wwwwwwwwwwww"), so the key is not physically or virtually stuck at the OS level, it's really just the movement of the camera that is stuck.

I scanned the 24 pages of issues and couldn't find anyone who had reported this before. Am I the only one to whom this happens?

thanks!,

f.

If it can comfort you, you're not the only one.

Just happened to me twice over the past 2 days. with the W key; I tried everything like you to stop it, but no dice.

Had to restart X-Plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Observed that behavior occasionally, too. 

On 5/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, Pils said:

If you like you can disable the WASD capturing that's done by the CL650 in User Settings, and then bind the "move view fast" commands manually in X-Plane's keyboard controls window (to the same or different keys, readers' choice). This may alleviate the one source of "stuck keys".

Nice tip. Will try, thanks!

• 3 months later...

This has happened to me twice in the past week.  I find myself departing the cockpit and going on a virtual tour of the airport.  For reference Avitab wasn't in focus.  Nothing I tried (I tried disabling WASD, pausing the app etc) would stop the movement so had to restart.  :(

I've attached my log files in the hope that there is something captured that might help the devs get to the bottom of this problem.

Mjay (new to the forum)

logs.zip