OEM variant and XPilot

It appears that the transponder in the OEM version (both prop variants) appears to be somewhat incompatible with XPilot.  Setting it to ALT RPTG mode goes unnoticed by the client as shown by my screenshot.  I tried manually clicking the Mode C button within XPilot and it doesn't work either.  Aircraft was completely powered up (engines running, avionics busses on), and the connection to XPilot was done both as a regular connection and observer connection.  Recycling the transponder, reloading the aircraft, checking the options page, making sure XPilot was running as administrator, still no difference. 

image.thumb.png.87c68d0a66fe407e580dc263a9739df8.png

On the other hand, the IDENT button DOES work, as I saw that the ident button within XPilot would light up when the button in the aircraft was pressed.

I tested the GNS variant just to compare and none of these issues were present. 

Hope this will be rectified soon!  Trying to get a friend of mine who's a slant-alpha maniac into this beauty... for the most part I think I'm winning him over :D

• Upvote 1

I did actually take a look at this.   Does it work with the GTX330?  I ask and here's why.....I couldn't find any representation of "mode C" in the X-Plane data.  All I have is the datarefs from below.  The GTX-330...when hitting ALT, sets the transponder mode to '3=TEST' as shown below, BUT to me as a developer, that doesn't mean anything.  Its just an number that is not OFF/ON/STBY...and so was useful for me to light up the ALT annun.  If X-Plane actually interprets that as "mode C", then lucky me cause the description "TEST" is about as clear as muddy water.   If another application (like X-Pilot) also needs to differentiate Mode C from OFF/ON/STBY, same as me, then I can't be sure they also chose the 3=TEST setting to represent ModeC.  Now if X-Pilot does so (confirmed with test of the GTX), then this is a no-brainer and I'll easily make the change for next patch.  If, however, X-Pilot uses some other data to represent ModeC, then we'll need to figure out what that is or if I need ot create some custom data. 

BUT...I suspect they too may have used the 'TEST=3 also'...hoping anyhow.   I'll probably set this up to use '3=TEST' so its at least consistent with the GTX...at least until something else suggests otherwise.

-TomK

image.png

Edited by tkyler

58 minutes ago, tkyler said:

If, however, X-Pilot uses some other data to represent ModeC, then we'll need to figure out what that is or if I need ot create some custom data. 

BUT...I suspect they too may have used the 'TEST=3 also'...hoping anyhow.

No need to suspect, their code is open source: https://github.com/xpilot-project/xpilot/blob/3ac66d40fcf00f7b5b33912ec0849457c2c10f81/client/src/simulator/xplane_adapter.cpp#L486

Thx Pils!   Looks like indeed its not wired up to ON...just STBY.  well that explains it.  Seems ON=MODEC...easy enough.  On the list for fixing.  (Starting that list first thing tomorrow morn)

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, tkyler said:

Thx Pils!   Looks like indeed its not wired up to ON...just STBY.  well that explains it.  Seems ON=MODEC...easy enough.  On the list for fixing.  (Starting that list first thing tomorrow morn)

The joys of having accurate/realistic behaviour/state in your own systems/code and having to “dumb it down” for X-Plane’s. :)

Looks like the transponder mode for Mode C is 3...even though it says TEST above.  For V12, '3' will be Mode C.     Since the source code inidcates that >= 2 is mode C, I'll set it to 3 and that way it should work for you and be rady for V12 as well.

-TomK

• Upvote 2