No control of engines after startup

After engine start, I have no control over the engines. Once the props are set all the way forward to pull them off the locks, nothing happens. The throttle levers move, but can't actually control anything, making no changes to engine output, or prop pitch. And once the props levers are full forwards, adjusting them has no change on what the aircraft is doing, the RPM remains pinned to 100%. So I'm unable to complete the governor test, or even move the aircraft an inch, it remains stuck in place no matter what. Moving any levers individually, simultaneously, or with some combination after turning prop sync on does nothing as well.

To add, even prior to putting the props full forward, the throttle levers don't make any changes either. They move, but have no bearing on what's going on.

This was in the 5B_Glass. What I've figured out so far is that I can use the unfeather buttons to switch back/forth between prop settings. Almost like reverse thrust on a turbojet as it sets the props to either full forward, or full back, and the throttle controls change how much power I can put in. Obviously not ideal, but I could at least move. I just had to stand on the brakes to not rocket down the taxiways. This essentially stopped the prop levers from doing anything, but progress I suppose.

I'll test in a different variant.

I tried in the 4B_OEM version, but couldn't get far enough to recreate the problem. I kept getting the glitch where upon engine start, the engines will spool past the 76-78% idle, looping all the way around the RPM gauge to settle on 10% (which is effectively 175% in this case), then locking the engines at that setting. I had this problem in the 5B_Glass as well, but only on a few starts, the 4B had it each time so far.

You're first description, of not being able to control the engine at all with the power lever....I have seen an unexplainable glitch only one time that suggested a corrupted joystick settings file and only happened on the 5B_GNS variant, because no other variant exhibited the issue, which simply made no sense...so its not a bug I care to see again  and so want to be very sure I understand exactly what you're seeing.

Your other descriptions of spinning and looping RPMs, I have not seen at all and completely unsure of what you're seeing on your end.  Perhaps a screen recording if possible?   Also, what kind of hardware are  you using?  Single paddle no dentent/detent etc?

I've attached a couple clips of the second problem. I still need to go back to get a clip of the original one.

I'm using the Honeycomb yoke, and throttle.

Edited by Gonzalo115
Videos exceded max space.

looks like your axes are reversed in the first video.  Any luck reversing your axes in the hardware setup?

Last video looks like some potentially funny hardware mappings.  post screenshots of your hardware response curves maybe?  

Also...just to rule out any thing supernatural.  If you disconnect your hardware and go "old school" with mouse and keyboard, can you control the levers with the mouse and get engine response as expected?

I wanted to add I am having a similar issue that *may* be tied to having Throttle1 and Throttle2 assigned (I have a HOTAS that has dual throttle axis).  When I switched to just Throttle and removed the other (1&2) assignments it seemed to work.  This has been the 5B GNS.

I have dual throttles working fine in another ac (CL60).

I am new to this AC so still learning.

Joe

20 minutes ago, JPL19 said:

I wanted to add I am having a similar issue that *may* be tied to having Throttle1 and Throttle2 assigned (I have a HOTAS that has dual throttle axis).  When I switched to just Throttle and removed the other (1&2) assignments it seemed to work.  This has been the 5B GNS.

Joe

I'm having this problem as well. Changing the throttle assignment to only one axis worked for me too.

• Like 1

Interestingly, it's registering the axis as normal, but alpha/beta are essentially two different modes to toggle between. That's why it looks reversed because I toggled the beta mode, making the aircraft go backwards (it thinks the whole throttle range is beta). Then reentered where alpha should be, and pushed the unfeather buttons to turn the whole throttle range into alpha.

Testing with only mouse/keyboard resolves the issue.

When throttle for both engines is a single axis, and prop is another single axis all problems mentioned above go away. So it appears to be an issue of the aircraft not liking separate axis on honeycomb hardware for different engines.

The only problem I ran into after that is self induced from accidentally entering beta in flight from being able to slide past the indent. That's an easy fix to learn where to stop moving the throttle back.

Testing with only mouse/keyboard resolves the issue.

That's good news...it means there code is working properly and you just have to wrangle your hardware comfort zone....because behind the scenes, the hardware ultimately ends up driving those levers the same as the mouse cursor does.  So the mappings of the hardware + commands is just a process to work through. 

-TomK

How can the code be "working properly"?  If I assign throttle 1&2 this flat does not work.  Throttle movement results in nothing but visual movement.  If I assign just one (either one) of those axes to "throttle" it works w/o adjustment to any settings.

EDIT:  @JPL19 Perhaps read the post below first in case that's what you're seeing...the information below is for anyone else who may be having issues with configuring their hardware and seeing issues.

1. Do your power levers have physical detents that you want to use?
  2. IF no detent, then how do you want to use your power lever? 
    1. Old school where you "toggle beta" and move your power lever forward for reverse? OR
    2. like the real thing, but with no physical detent.
  3. Can you please post a picture of one of your power lever axis settings and its response curve settting

If none of the above apply (because it was mentioned that there is a "button" at the back of the power lever travel?) then how would you like to operate the levers?  I ask because users may have differing preferences based on similar hardware and we want to get it working the way you want it to.

Edited by tkyler

3 hours ago, JPL19 said:

Throttle movement results in nothing but visual movement

Very first thing to check...and please don't be insulted because I borked this myself the day before release and didn't catch it for a bit...and it resulted in the described behavior......is the beta/reverse checkbox checked for your "throttle 1 & 2" response curves?   

image.png

If so and still have a problem....was this with more than one variant Joe?      I have encountered a rare gremlin one time where I would move the levers and they would move in sim, but did not affect the engine at all....this one spooked me because it didn't make sense.  I ended up deleting the joystick preference because it made no sense at the time when looking at all the hardware input values...and the hardware worked on all other variants.  Deleting the prefs joystick prefs fixed the issue in that case......maybe.  I say maybe because I wasn't being very disciplined about tracking the changes i was making at the time as I was a bit angry... and I can't be 100% sure I didn't bork the hardware settings to cause the issue in the first place.....THOUGH having the hardware work on all the other variants definitely made me go HRMMM.  This is one bug I do not want to see anybody have to deal with if its truly a bug because without the ability to reproduce it on comparable variants, (4B/5B) its really difficult to diagnose.

Completely bypassing X-Plane's throttle and prop is on my todo list...and will take a bit of work, but when done, should stabilize things for a long time.  Hardware has been the most difficult thing to deal with when using any default X-Plane mappings.

Edited by tkyler

Thanks for your reply.  I did "try" to set similar to your shot.  I found that the default checking "has beta/ reverse detents" added additional values, and in some cases had caused a beta value all the way up.  Quite frankly I also did not realize that switching between throttle, throttle 1 or 2 erased these values every time, so sometimes it worked, sometimes not.   I eliminated all values except similar to what you have and so far so good.  I also turned off the "prop" axis and am using only the mouse which I think helped stability.

Thanks for your patience . . .

6 minutes ago, JPL19 said:

Thanks for your patience . . .

Thank you for yours Joe.  Post release is always tough until we all sort of get it figured out for all parties involved and the configurations / preferences and that knowledge can disseminate.  I'm glad for all those who are participating here as it'll make the Moo much better!

-Tom

On 7/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, JPL19 said:

Joe

Just wanted to say I'm having the same issue with my Honeycomb Bravo in the 4B, GNS.

FWIW, I was using the same binds/profile I used previously with V1 of the MU-2.   When I have my Throttle Levers set to Throttle 1 and Throttle 2, the levers move in sim but don't control anything.  Once I set it to just "Throttle" it works fine.

Edited by NotJayKay
Typo

9 hours ago, NotJayKay said:

Once I set it to just "Throttle" it works fine.

I'm posting this all over so folks know.  Major hardware binding change coming in the next update.  should simplify things greatly.  Bindings will be to throttle 3/4 for dual throttles, no response curves needed... which fixes a ton of issues because 1/2 are hardwired to internal Laminar code that I previously had to fight with and users usually got caught in the middle.

-TomK

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 2