Looking for a Bell Huey or other nice payware Heli

Good flying L, proves it's not that bad! You got pedals? Now try a 10kt crosswind!

Im up to flight mode 2 in the Dodo now, it's sweeeet, landing in places I'd never try before, so it's 3 next. I think you've started a video comp!

Now just wait for Jason to show off. Which he can. His obstacle course is hellish. Well, at least that landing spot in between the buildings is!

Here's one of my embarrassing attempts with a surprising ending:

Still better than any of the tubeliner crowd could do :-)

A great course to hone your skills. I recall you doing well there?

• Upvote 1

Actually, I've never used any special training scenery, nor additional helicopter dedicated HUD addons. All I needed was a runway, as a reference frame, for basic handling and hovering, as well as traffic pattern (takeoff-climb, straight-and-level and approach-landing training in one exercise). Such parkour courses are for qualified pilots, who are bored and need some additional challenge, newbies will only get frustrated with them. As for me, when I wanted something extra, I've used natural sim features, like aircraft carriers, oilrigs, skyscrapers, mountain peaks (Mt. Hood for example ;) ), bridges, canyons, roads (especially ones going through forests) and so on. It's fun to cruise in tight formation with road traffic!

Yes, now I have rudder pedals, but I've learned to "fly" helicopters without them.

Lol I'm the beta tester of the Alfredo's R-22 and I can tell you it is not ready, minimum one-two months.

But it will be one of the best chopper, way more difficult to fly than his Jet Ranger ( so, people said the 206 is unflyable really should considering flying real helis, and not the BK 117 with his loads of artificial stabilites, the R22 is a very light, so low inertia helicopter, very sharp on controls ..

For all serious heli simmers, you should check this website : http://www.dynamicflight.com/ to know how really a helicopter fly, then you'll better understand how to control it and what to do on controls to do steady flights, perfect smooth landing etc..

The rotary wing world is not easy, all action on any control require compensation on a other ..

But men, I can assure you, when your brain got it, it's a real pleasure to fly something hard and to do smooth maneuvers and real world operations..

Are you JH, caliber-svern, or VI these days? You are presuming a lot that everyone flies the BK with SAS turned on.

I certainly don't.

Who said the 206 was "unflyable"? "Response time is so slow. You've already made another adjustment when the first one actually happens... "

Difficult, yes, not ideal for the beginner. Unflyable, no, but even bricks can be made to fly in some sims, don't u kno?

There are certainly aircraft which are more pleasurable to fly, which don't leave you feeling like you've just had a fight with Mike Tyson.

Also, I said "not a long wait for the r22, that looks just about ready."

Emphasis being on the words "just about," ie almost.

Edited by Nicola_M

R-22 [...]way more difficult to fly than his Jet Ranger

You got me interested! For me, helicopter = turbine and my love for piston engines turning big propellers, or similar, ends with Bearcat and Lockheed Constellation. But that sounds very tempting ;)

"Response time is so slow. You've already made another adjustment when the first one actually happens... "

I have a similar feeling, backed up with some real life data, even with all my enthusiasm for DF B206. However, that's what makes it challenging and interesting to fly, so I've elected to leave it that way, despite that tuning would take about one minute - never tried it though, so can't say, if it won't break anything else. Probably not.

Huey with its stabiliser bar would be interesting to fly, compared to B206 and modern SAS-equipped birds.

Yes Nicolas, I'm Caliber5verM on the org forums. Yes Brett's make me VI for another subject .. no comment ( http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=49960 )

SAS On or Off, the Flight Model don't c'hange a lot, Nils is certainly a wonderful 3D artist and system programmers, but I guess he never flew Helicopters, it's very complex machines, some effect are common to all helicopters. The torque reaction is a bit less pronounced that a real heli and the ETL dip is way more pronounced, it's a real effect but exagerated in X-Plane.

I'm also Valentin, it's me who make the quick review of Alfredo's 206 on fabulous XP10 Blog : http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/an-xp10reviews-quick-look-dreamfoil-creations-bell-206-jetranger-iii/

For everyone who found the 206 too much " Twichy " simply go to Plane Maker, then Experrt>Helo - Vtol Control - and adjust the " Flapping Hinge Arm from axis " control, this will make the control authority over cyclic more or less important, make test and adjustements, my actual value is : 000.35 Ft

So, I eagerly waiting for a Vietnam era Bell UH-1H or UH-1 B Huey from those 60's, I can tell you than if we want a top notch helicopter, with the most accurate sounds, flight model, 3D, systems simulation etc, we just have to wait that DreamFoil ( Alfredo Fernandes ) do one ..

After his R-22, his next project is a Schweizer 300 CBi, then ... no it's a secret for the moment :)

Cheers .

Lol , no I mainly fly a Small C 152, but I hover about 20 min a R-44 , doing small translations and land it near the hangar. I've also did cruis flight in a R-22 and a backward autorotation in a Bell 47 ( very impressive rate of descent ! ) thend land it with a " running landing " on the goodgrass.

And I know how fly a helicopter, different forces that applies on it etc..

Obviously, I haven't the money to pass my PPL(H) at 17 Years old, this is why I'll try the Army in two years.

If you want to make the 206 easier for you, play with the art stability on X-Plane joystick menu and in PM.

If you suffer from flying the 206, you'll Fall from high when the R-22 will come out..

Keep practicing, try to built a custom stick, with long shaft to have a more real travel and so, a precise control over the neutral.

Edited by James Hetfield

Riiiiiight. So 20 minutes of hovering an R44 and suddenly you're qualified to claim Nils flight model is no good??

I would kinda expect someone to be about twice the age and have twice the experience before claiming that.....

Thanks for the suggestions for making it more awake, but I didn't keep my 206

I also use an rc controller, which allows much finer adjustments and control than a joystick.

Edited by Nicola_M

lol ok I give up.

Everyone is free to say that a helicopter is accurate or not. But in that case, the comparison should be done in same configuration.

A real helicopter is not controlled by a Futaba or a Graupner, but with big size stick and pedals.. It's like if test pilots would test new heli, sitting in their armchair and piloting them with the mouse ..

Also, I consider that almost all videos of BK 117 Flyers in X-Plane that I've seen on youtube are made by people who don't really know how to pilot a helicopters, manoeuvers are approximative, the precision is not there ..

So I'm assuming that BK117 pilots ( in XP ) are pilots who occasionally fly helos and who love beautiful 3D cockpit with loads of buttons and switches, but who certainly don't get right how a helicopter should be handled.

I stop the discussion here, let's wait for a Huey.

Edited by James Hetfield

I wasn't saying the 206 was accurate or inaccurate. All I said was it's not enjoyable to fly. The real thing may also not be enjoyable, for all I know. My initial point was that it's not easy, it's not enjoyable, and not ideal for a noob to learn on, especially when there are other helis available which are less of a struggle to control and are enjoyable to fly as a result.

I wouldn't base an assumption about all BK117 flyers just because of a few videos. For all I know, they could've been shot by 16-year olds with 20 minutes experience.... ;)

Edited by Nicola_M

On the subject of the Huey etc, anyone got any hopes for what comes with xp10? I'm curious about what Nils is making, because NVG and no oxygen mask mean it could be a helo, but the sides of that cabin don't look familiar.

Would be nice if there's a new heli or two in xp10:

dewd.jpg

Edited by Nicola_M

What the Hell ?! Where those pict comes from ^^

When I asked him a while ago he said it was an airliner so..

Lol, for sure, that is a Helicopter from UH-1 series, maybe not the Vietnam War era Huey but maybe the UH-1Y Venom ..

I recognize that due to the windshields ( windows )

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/042/3/7/rtaf_bell_uh_1_iroquois_by_sudro-d39c7sa.jpg