Approach with FMS1 or LOC1?

Marcus787

Outstanding explanation. I’m willing to bet the people on Microsoft flight sim forums aren’t getting this quality of flight education! Thanks so very much for going the extra mile and helping me and (very likely) others who have had the same question or dilemma. If you ever went to take someone on a real world ride let me know! Lol.

4 hours ago, richjb said:

I was in the right seat, and my CDI was set to 250; however, the captain's CDI course was set to something else, if I recall 360.

The choice by Collins not to display the course in the preset nav box still befuddles me. Any ideas?

On 3/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, Pils said:

The choice by Collins not to display the course in the preset nav box still befuddles me. Any ideas?

Actually, it does.  When you select "Vectors" as the approach option, or even if select the full procedure from an IAF or feeder, when you line select the FAF in scratch pad, and then select it to active TO waypoint, the inbound course is preset just like in the Boeings.  You then line select the pre-set course and then re-select it to the same position.  We call it "make it big" because the number inbound course becomes BIG.  I believe that feature is common across all Collins FMS models.  Dirty little secret.... in the late 1990s, when Collins was developing their new generation FMS after the colossal flop of their original FMS that went into the Lear 60, they hired a lot of ex-Honeywell engineers to design it.  There's a lot of Honeywell Boeing FMS-think in the Collins FMS.  

I have a 2018 version of the CL650 Advanced FMS book.  Here's what it says on 6-6:

To intercept and fly a specific course to the airport
reference point or runway extension point, enter the
course into the scratchpad, then transfer it to the
INTC CRS line on the MOD LEGS page.

You can use the DIR button or LEGS page.  

I noticed that Hotstart's implementation is not behaving this way, and I believe that's a bug.  Any ideas on how we get this fixed?

Thanks,

Rich Boll

On 3/10/2022 at 7:37 PM, Marcus787 said:

Outstanding explanation. I’m willing to bet the people on Microsoft flight sim forums aren’t getting this quality of flight education! Thanks so very much for going the extra mile and helping me and (very likely) others who have had the same question or dilemma. If you ever went to take someone on a real world ride let me know! Lol.

I wish I could.  Rest assured that the Hotstart CL650 is about as close as you can get to the real one.  I say that with all sincerity. 

I flew the Zibo mod last night after watching Flightdeck2Sim do a flight from MDW to MSP and back.  For fun and try something new, I went back to the Zibo for quick flight from MDW to DTW.  I loaded the ILS 27R at DTW only to have to change it to the ILS 22R.  I had to delete the entire FLT PLN to change the approach. The Zibo FMS would not let me change the approach from 27R to 22R in the ARR/DEP page.  By the time I figured it out, i was high, fast, and well you know the f-word...  I have not had that kind of issue the Hotstart FMS.   I am picking up some things, like the intercept course discussed above, but that's minor.  For an add on that basically new, it's pretty mature right out of the box.  

Thanks!

Rich