Fuel Quantity Errors?

sunake

Can someone explain a little with what might be happening with the fuel system. I started today's flight at KMSP with about 5000lbs in the tank. When the refueling truck came I gave him the amount of fuel I wanted which would have ended up being 10,700lbs total in the tanks (about 740-750 gallons at 6.909lbs/gal). After fueling was completed, and he came back saying the pump had stopped, I sent him away then I looked at the fuel quantity and it said 10,700ish lbs but then started to drop quickly until it settled and remained at about 10,200. I called him back to load up another 80 gallons or so and the quantity went up to 10,900lbs. 

Before takeoff the fuel quantity was showing 10,200lbs as I burned some to taxi and deice. On climbout now I realise the fuel quantity now shows 10,900lbs.  This is the second time I have seen this occur especially at low temperatures (around -11 degrees C)

My question, should I not trust the fuel quantity the plane tells me or is it the sneaky fuel man that's trying to rob me.

I tried looking at the  study menu to see if fuel was leaking out somewhere but couldnt immediately see anything.

44 minutes ago, Peter Clark said:

Did it go back down after you leveled off in cruise? Could be resistive capacitance fuel sensors getting confused with the aircraft pitched up thinking there’s more gas in the tank than there is. 

Yeah that's what I figure but what about the funny business on the ground? 

I had the same issue today. Not really sure if it's a bug. The aircraft was fueled on level ground and the fuel indicated was 10180lbs. After takeoff, the fuel quantity increased to 10700lbs. Having flown the CRJ, I understand these gauges aren't perfectly accurate, but I've never had fuel quantity increase to such a substantial amount after takeoff, or at all really. Granted, we didn't have Aux and Tail tanks.

3 hours ago, boctal said:

I had the same issue today. Not really sure if it's a bug. The aircraft was fueled on level ground and the fuel indicated was 10180lbs. After takeoff, the fuel quantity increased to 10700lbs. Having flown the CRJ, I understand these gauges aren't perfectly accurate, but I've never had fuel quantity increase to such a substantial amount after takeoff, or at all really. Granted, we didn't have Aux and Tail tanks.

I think in this plane high pitch angles or even turning too hard when taxiing confuses the sensors as the fuel gets sloshed around which is understandable. But what I don't get is why after refueling to the correct quantity, and still being stationary on the ramp the quantity starts to drop by 500lbs or more 

Okay so I've been watching some videos, one in particular by Foxtrot Alpha Aviation and he says when you're taking a lot of fuel you have to wait for the fuel to settle and continue fueling otherwise you'll end up short.

I've appreciated even more now how in depth this Simulation is

Edited by sunake