VFR flights

Julien Pham

Hi,

I have checked some screens, and they really look amazing, good job. I have two questions, though:

- if I should buy just one of your sceneries, which one? Which one is the most detailed, most precise, most beautiful? The island of Oahu? Another one?

- all the screens are taken from a quite high altitude... how do they look close to the ground? There is no tree or 3D autogen buildings, right? Does it mean as well there is no building on the airports? From high altitude it looks cool, but if airports are empty I wonder if it will not give an empty feeling when we are landing. And so, at low altitude, is the texel sharp? Or does it look blurry like the X-Plane global scenery?

Thanks a lot, good job, and see you later.

Hi Julien,

Like any photo-based scenery, you will have more clarity at higher altitudes. The RealScenery Enhanced packages are designed for lower altitude flying. Currently the scenery available in the Enhanced series includes Reno/Carson City and Island of Oahu. Northern California will be very similar when it is released later this year. If you're outside the aircraft looking straight down, these look great at lower altitudes, around 1500-2000 feet. If your looking out the windscreen from in the cockpit, you can be even lower because the scenery you're viewing is in the distance and not directly below. All of the galleries are designed to give you a good idea how the scenery looks in sim. You should be able to judge the altitude above ground level and see if the clarity of the scenery meets your needs for the type of flying you wish to do. Make sure to check out the galleries at both RealScenery.com and X-Aviation.com. They present a different set of images and should give you a representative idea of each scenery area. Also check out the X-Pilot forums for more screenshots and discussions.

As to which one to buy, that's a tough question. :) My personal favorite is Reno/Carson City, but Oahu is the best selling scenery. Reno covers a much larger area; one degree lon/lat. The terrain is totally different, high desert versus sub-tropical.

We specialize in image-based scenery only, however, the scenery fully supports adding buildings and other 3D objects as desired.

Thanks for your answer. btw in the FAQ of some sort you said you have corrected the airport placement, right? So this means the airport has moved a bit. So does it mean if we take an existing airport scenery to have buildings, we will have some placement issues? So I will have to add buildings myself? ^^

And so thanks for the infos, I'll check this out. btw is there a project to enhance your existing legacy RealScenery products? I will perhaps buy the inner package add-on and your WA/OR would fit well with, but they are not enhanced ^^

(Same thing with other scenery we would like to add on top of your scenery, like honolulu airport, or other towns, airports, and the like... there is a risk so that their building location does not match well with your road location, some things like that... or does it mean I should install the scenery and then edit it to change building locations so for instance I will not have a building just ON a road? ^^)

Thanks for your answer. btw in the FAQ of some sort you said you have corrected the airport placement, right? So this means the airport has moved a bit. So does it mean if we take an existing airport scenery to have buildings, we will have some placement issues? So I will have to add buildings myself? ^^

Airports really aren't moved unless they are small, rural one's that are off in comparison to their REAL world position. Most of the bigger airports are just adjustments to the shape in X-Plane of the taxiways, but in the end everything still lines up perfectly.

Provided that scenery makers used real world positioning for their objects you should have NO problems at all. Every MSFS scenery I have tried over RealScenery has meshed perfectly thus far, and I think you'll find this the case with things you convert or move into the scenery folder as well.

Thanks for the answer :)

In fact I tried a MSFS conversion scenery only once, a few years ago, and the result was so so, I mean some things I was unable to convert ^^

The only problem is: if I can find freeware hawaii scenes (honolulu for instance) I can try to convert them, and if it does not work, it does not work... but if it is payware, this means if I can't convert it, it will be a lost of money :P

Do you have sceneries to advice me for Oahu, either x-plane ones (freeware or payware), or MSFS I can convert?

(btw is it what I need to convert FSX to x-plane? http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=24&st=30

I wonder, because the last update was in 2008, so it is a bit old ^^)