What are these green vectors on my ND?

Hello,

I'm currently landing at LGAL with a VOR approach. I have turned on VOR/ADF on the map/EFIS and now I suddenly have these vectors on my ND. I have never noticed them before, does anyone know what purpose they have?

After flying around a bit it appears that if V1 and V2 are at 90° I'm aligned correctly, but for what is then A2 good?

Kind regards
Alex

image.thumb.png.dd79f8d80524f84f2459384e540f6bf9.png

Edited by kingsnugget

2 hours ago, kingsnugget said:

Hello,

I'm currently landing at LGAL with a VOR approach. I have turned on VOR/ADF on the map/EFIS and now I suddenly have these vectors on my ND. I have never noticed them before, does anyone know what purpose they have?

After flying around a bit it appears that if V1 and V2 are at 90° I'm aligned correctly, but for what is then A2 good?

Kind regards
Alex

Hi there

when VOR/ADF map/ctr map mode is selected

V1 & V2 represents the radial to VOR1 and to VOR2 elected stations respectively (vor1 seems to be tuned to your approach station thus pointing ahead while vor 2 is tuned to  different station)

A1 & A2 represents the relative bearing to tuned ADFs (a1 is not shown because whatever you have tuned has no active signal while adf2 does)

please note v1, v2, a1 & a2 may or may not be shown based whether they have an active signal actually.

hope this helps

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmerelles said:

Hi there

when VOR/ADF map/ctr map mode is selected

V1 & V2 represents the radial to VOR1 and to VOR2 elected stations respectively (vor1 seems to be tuned to your approach station thus pointing ahead while vor 2 is tuned to  different station)

A1 & A2 represents the relative bearing to tuned ADFs (a1 is not shown because whatever you have tuned has no active signal while adf2 does)

please note v1, v2, a1 & a2 may or may not be shown based whether they have an active signal actually.

hope this helps

Thanks, thats all I need to know :)

In addition - the bearing lines for ADF 1 and 2 (they are superimposed on the picture) will always point to "90 degree relative bearing" - i.e. to the right - when they receive no signal. Opposed to the VOR receiver the ADF receivers have no logic to discern wether they receive a strong enough signal. So it is up to the pilot to determine if the indication of "90 degree to the right" is a valid QDM or simply means "no reception".

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1