Barometric height setting

coolgovind180

hey all

So i know how to set barometric height using baro knob in modern airliners of both boeing and airbus. But how to set a barometric decision height in old classics like 737 300 or 757 200  old avionics or 767??

They all have old type altimeter (guage type) . I can see an orange bug . Suppose I am going to land on 08L at EDDM. The runway elevation is 1470ft. The BARO decision height for a LOC approach is 1970ft. How do i set this in the altimeter? Do i get a minimums call out if i set it in altimeter?

I know about setting radio altimeter. The query is wrt baro height.

thanks in advance

For the 737 Classic the IXEG is modeling you will set the orange carot to the barometric minimum. So for 08L at EDDM it would be at 970 feet. Back then when the plane was made pilots still had the ability to memorize the "thousand" of the DA/MDA ;).

If you fly a CATII or CATIIIa approach with a decision height, you can set the RA DH window to the required decision height, i.e. 50 for a CATIIIa approach. In this case you will get a "minimums" callout.

Some pilots set the DH to 200 for a CAT I ILS approach, but this is wrong. A CAT I approach does not have a decision height, it has a decision altitude. Therefore referencing a "height" (with the radio altimeter) could make you bust your minimum (if there is a valley in front of the runway, for example).

This distinction is important. A HEIGHT is always a distance above the terrain, an ALTITUDE is a barometrically referenced altitude. There is no "decision height" for a LOC approach.

A non precision approach (like LOC, RNAV, VOR,...) will have a MDA (minimum descent altitude).

A precision approach will either have a decision altitude (DA) for CAT I or a decision height (DH) for CATII/III.

There are approaches without decision height (CATIIIb), they will instead have an alert height (usually 100 feet RA), but the 737 Classic is not able to fly those.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan