Low FPS with 88.5% VRAM usage (or less)

dlrk

88.5% VRAM usage is actually really tight, as the memory is likely fragmented to some degree and it becomes hard to allocate large blocks of memory at that point. I would still recommend backing off on settings that affect VRAM usage (ie, anti-aliasing, the cloud draw distance, terrain detail, use of photoscenery) until you find the right balance for your system.

• Like 1

Thanks for that information, that helps. I was under the impression that VRAM is only limiting if it's all used, that clarifies. That said, I still think their may be some sort of issue with SMP, since it's resolved by reloading SMP graphics

Edited by dlrk

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 3:11 PM, dlrk said:

Thanks for that information, that helps. I was under the impression that VRAM is only limiting if it's all used, that clarifies. That said, I still think their may be some sort of issue with SMP, since it's resolved by reloading SMP graphics

When you reload SMP, the video drivers purges all of the fragmented memory associated with its clouds and reloads it all in a less fragmented state. Tight VRAM leads to fragmentation. Really it's an NVidia driver issue; their memory management leaves a lot to be desired. A colleague of mine working in the military visual simulation industry has a bug open with NVidia about it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm still having some pretty significant FPS issues, despite a fairly strong system (8Gb RTX 2070, i9-10850K CPU). X-Plane continues to indicate that the CPU is the limiting factor, and looking at VRAM, there doesn't seem to be any correlation to VRAM usage (it'll drop below 20 FPS with less than 70% VRAM in use). This problem seems to worsen when pointing my view "upwards"