Strange FMC behavior during CLB

mizra108

Hello, upon departure using TOGA, followed by LVL CHG up to flaps up maneuvering speed, I proceeded to engage VNAV and expected aircraft to accelerate to 250IAS, I noticed the aircraft wanting to maintain flaps up maneuvering speed of 220 so I went to the CLB page and noticed an odd speed restriction which clearly I never put in. Then, as I was up in the FL's, I suddenly got a Gizmo error (see image attached). Its the first time this ever happens to me out of many hours. Any thoughts? I had to continue my climb using LVL CHG up til CRZ and then everything worked out.

1597087080_X-PlaneScreenshot2020_12.09-22_28_31_16.png

Hi mizra,

this is odd - of course the lua error should never happen at any rate - I see that the climb page shows a "max rate" climb and the flaps limit active, which should only happen if the flaps are not up (do you have a hardware axis controlling the flap position?). The "max rate" climb regime is something that normally the pilot would activate manually (the default is the ECON CLB, so I have no idea how that happened.

Maybe Tom can glean something from the lua error report, thanks for reporting it!

Cheers, Jan

4 hours ago, mizra108 said:

That is correct, I have the flap lever being controlled by one of the axes in my throttle quadrant. Ill double check the axis sensitivity curve and recalibrate to rule out these possibilities. 

You can output the value for "flaps extension" to the screen (small green numbers) using the DATA OUTPUT tab in the X-Plane preferences. That way you can see the flap deploy ratio. It may be that we require a pretty small number, and if your axis does not quite reach that value, our code assumes "flaps are extended".

Cheers, Jan