Embraer 195

Guest xp9videos

First off, it doesn't have to look like a terd with wings. I said that intending to get the message across that nobody expects it to be perfect, but that doesn't mean you should half-ass it with the GOAL of being terd quality or better. It takes a skilled modeler about 5-10 hours (MINIMUM, it takes me longer) just to do engine nacelles. Fanblades can potentially take JUST as much time. As I said, slow down. If you finish this in less than a few months, you've gone WAY too fast.

As for asking others for pictures: This is acceptable ONLY if you ask if anyone has some handy. DO NOT ask people to research and dig for them; it's not their job. So, now that you have the pictures, how about slowing down, and reallllly taking a critical eye to the shape and geometry of the 3D work you're doing. Also, GET OUT OF AC3D!! If the backround image isn't showing up, you're doing something wrong (In other words, YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO LEARN!) Instead of just giving up and reverting to a program, which in all actuality requires MORE skill to produce a good model in, how about finding a solution to your blender issue? AC3D may seem "easy" but it doesn't do things automatically, and isn't very good at conserving polys, or previewing the finished product. Try the blender artists forums...google it, sign up, etc. Every problem I have ever had has been resolved through there. Keep in mind though, you have to write your post like you're supposed to write it here; proper grammar, punctuation, and DETAILED explanations w/screenshots (if applicable).

First, all of those objects (that won't be animated) should be one single mesh. I can tell that its basically a cylinder with a cube flanked by two cylinders. The reason for this is two-fold: First, it saves faces, and makes texturing potentially easier (ultimately). Second, it just looks better.

Second, to make the "edges" sharper, select the object, click the modifier button, and select "edge split" modifier. NOTE: Do NOT apply the modifier until the object is textured, animated, etc. Basically, applying modifiers is the last step in the process. Some folks don't wait, but I have learned through regret that it should be last.

Lastly, the mesh isn't quite right on those window frames. I can tell this because the shading is not consitant on all parts. Really, you shouldn't be doing those until you've built the fuse.

Here's some advice that I take very seriously. 

If you want to make it payware, look at it and ask yourself, "Would I pay for this?"

If you answer honestly and say no, then you need to fix it.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm a serious perfectionist.

Shit, I'm on my 7th wingbox now.  And I'm only on there because I want to give the VC a break before going back to it.

And going by what Nick (gilbernl) said, I still look at my engine nacelles and can't comprehend how they took me 6 hours!!??

Goran

Well, I seriously doubt Dan's tutorials say to use individual cylinders and cubes, not to mention just putting tubes straight through the sides of tubes. If they do, then show me where and I will raise the issue. Dan is doing the community a great service, but that is a fundemental no-no. Think of it this way: If you were welding a a bike frame, which would provide the strongest and most efficient use of materials: Sticking tubes through tubes, or making a neat appropriate contoured end on one tube and welding it to the second? Well, while modelers don't have to worry about the strength of what their building, they do have to worry about the efficiency. Also, if you do it right, when you render bake it will look far better.

Slow down. Less time posting updates of every single thing, and actually take some time to do things right. Even with the edge split the fundemental shapes aren't even close man. I would seriously go back, and take the advice that has been given to you. Yeah, it takes time and you won't be able to update us on every single vertex you move, but the end-product will be MUCH better. I give up.

Here's what I suggest you do.

Instead of immediately posting screenshots after you modelled something, try this.  After modelling it for the first time, go grab a drink, stretch your legs and come back after 5 minutes.  5 minutes away from the PC is hardly a drop in the ocean when you spend hours modelling something.  When you DO come back to the computer, it will be with a somewhat fresh set of eyes and you can critically observe what you modelled.  Note the errors and seriously think of ways you can fix them.  What I do is I sit back in my chair, look at what I modelled, then tilt my head back, close my eyes and start thinking of all the tools available to me and how I could use them to fix what I modelled and the different ways I could model it.  The wingbox was a perfect example.  Have a look at my latest post in the Hawker forum.  THAT is something I am finally very happy with and it was after modelling so many wingboxes and taking on board Javier and Nicks advice.

Needless to say, I'll probably modify it somehow in the next few days.

Goran

Hi sorry about this post, I need help but I cant find anything on this in the Blender Forums. See how both objects are mirrored? Well Is it possible that I can mirror the windshield or fuse on the other side so I can edit it like the tutorial wants me to.? So I can round vertices around the top of the windshield.

post-632-13136957073_thumb.png

HAHA

I did that to the cessna I made a while back.  Go into edit mode for the windscreen, place the cursor on the centre of the windscreen, rotate on the z axis, reposition both sides, S X 0 to align the vertices with the mirrored section and you'll have it all on the same side.

OR, you could just delete the fuse and start it again.

Goran