Thrust Reverse Toggle Problem

Hi Javier and Crew,

you mentioned to use a hardware button for thrust reverser toggle. I assigned the same as I am using all the time. But the reverse only opens - I cannot close it again -it is not a toggle it stays open.

Did not read the cmplete manual yet - so if there is a description later - sorry then. Otherwise it seems to be a default XP command and this should work.

Regards Tom

No other plugin installed

win7 / 64

8GB RAM

XP6.69

Yes it is in manual... Or tutorial. Grab with mouse the throttles and push them a little. You will be back to normal

Javier,

really only with the mouse? This isn´t very cool. It does not help if I move the throttle with my hardware throttle? There is no way to manipulate thrust reverse with hardwarde as in all other planes. Hmmm why???

Regards Tom

Sometimes it works  with hardware... But I will take a look

Thnx would be cool to get this fixed. No much time today for that bird - but what I liked immediately is the point of view in this VC!

Regards Tom

I have had an issue with the reversers too.

The thrusts needs to be at idle. It's not enough to just have the levelers at idle position.

Give the engines a few seconds too spool down, then hit the key on your stick.

Since i got a bit more patient it works, although i'm not able to activate reverse while standing (for powerback).

The thrust levers must be COPLETELY in Idle until you can activate the reversers.

You CAN definitely activate them by key or joystick button command, not only with the mouse.

I sense you have a calibration issue with the joystick. When your joystick throttle is fully aft, it might still be sending 1% or 2% throttle to X-Plane. Then the reversers are locked.

Either:

-Calibrate your throttle axis carefully

-or set a bigger deadzone at idle

-or just press F1 once to make sure the throttle is really idle.

Then you should be able to activate the reversers without further ado.

Philipp

Thanks for the input Phill. Yet, I believe the thrust reverse should be available as soon as throttles are in idle (not the actual engine RPM)..

Of course they are...

The THROTTLE levers must be at the 0% detent for the reverser toggle to work - the RPM of the engines is completely unimportant.

Thanks for the input Phill. Yet, I believe the thrust reverse should be available as soon as throttles are in idle (not the actual engine RPM)..

Of course they are...

The THROTTLE levers must be at the 0% detent for the reverser toggle to work - the RPM of the engines is completely unimportant.

Hi Phillip,

I recognized that the throttle_ratio jumps from 0.0 to 0.01 in the moment you push the revers_thrust_toggle button. It does not mattter if I have a greater zerozone or not. maybe here is the problem somewhere.

Regards Tom

throttleratio1.png

throttleratio2.png

I would like to add further diagnosis on the problem with reverse thrust:

I experience very same behaviour, the rev. thrust does not come on, instead forward thrust comes on.

I actually do not use a joystick, instead I have a custom build throttle device. The throttle device interfaces with X-Plane via custom writen plugin writen by me. When a lever is moved forward, my software sends the position of the lever to the sim (a value between 0%-100%, 0.0f - 100.0f using 'sim/flightmodel/engine/ENGN_thro' data ref).

During tests I have discovered (I trace all values writen to X-Plane into a console) that even if the lever is at 0% (absolute zero - 0.0f) the reverse thrust does not engage.

I've been doing various test cases: full->idle, mid->idle, 20%->idle and the problem is intermittent unforunately. Majority of times it actually works but there's times when it doesn't (I would say 85% success rate that it behaves correctly, 15% it doesn't).

If you need further tests or would like a live test I can record vid for ya.

If you any questions feel free to contact me.

I have also noticed that the animation of the levers is a bit choppy - I am not sure if this will help you diagnose the problem better.

My System:

i7 920 ~ 3.9 GHZ

6 GB RAM

ATI 5870

Kind Regards,

Luke

I have made five landings now my thrust reversers deploy like they should however for the life of me i cant get them to retract. Using my preassigned button nor with the keyboard.

My findings were based on stress tests, if I do casual landing it will work probably better. Nevertheless, 90-95% is not 100% for such core functionality.

I will wait for Phil's response on this matter.

TOBS has made an interesting observation here. This might be the root cause of the occasional problems. It's on my list, as you might have noticed.

@html_splash: I'm afraid I cannot help you with this. I use X-Planes joystick axis input that is assigned to the throttle axis. If your plugin feeds in the data "behind" this, the CRJ will not "catch" it. Can you try configuring your hardware like a "virtual joystick" so you can feed it to X-Plane as a normal axis?

Philipp

TOBS has made an interesting observation here. This might be the root cause of the occasional problems. It's on my list, as you might have noticed.

@html_splash: I'm afraid I cannot help you with this. I use X-Planes joystick axis input that is assigned to the throttle axis. If your plugin feeds in the data "behind" this, the CRJ will not "catch" it. Can you try configuring your hardware like a "virtual joystick" so you can feed it to X-Plane as a normal axis?

Philipp

Working on a virtual joystick, but most likely I will just write a device driver.

Hi,

having tried the suggested cures, I am still not able to get any thrust reverse via an assigned button. When I go down and use the mouse, I can get it to work, but that action takes me far too long.

A few more people at the Leizigair forum are also not able to get into thrust reverse via joystick.

Just some food for thought if anyone is running off the end of the runways...  In reality, the majority of the braking power of a modern airliner is done with the brakes, while the T/Rs are there as "backup."  While I've had one or two instances of the T/Rs not deploying on touchdown or having trouble getting them stowed, I still have no problem getting the plane stopped and off the runway.  Many airlines' SOP is to unlock the T/Rs upon touchdown, but not deploy them unless necessary (Southwest is one).  Fly the airplane first, guys, and I'm sure they'll get this fixed in no-time!

-Jeff

Just some food for thought if anyone is running off the end of the runways...  In reality, the majority of the braking power of a modern airliner is done with the brakes, while the T/Rs are there as "backup."  While I've had one or two instances of the T/Rs not deploying on touchdown or having trouble getting them stowed, I still have no problem getting the plane stopped and off the runway.  Many airlines' SOP is to unlock the T/Rs upon touchdown, but not deploy them unless necessary (Southwest is one).  Fly the airplane first, guys, and I'm sure they'll get this fixed in no-time!

-Jeff

That's a first. How can you bring all the momentum to stop without Rev. thrust? You will burn those breaks to the ground especially on larger jets.

I want them to work correctly, with little fuss, but in the real world, the airlines do have the crews just crack the reversers and use the brakes. It is because the Brakes are a lot less expensive than the Thrust  Reverser Systems.

That's a first. How can you bring all the momentum to stop without Rev. thrust? You will burn those breaks to the ground especially on larger jets.

You'll be surprised what those brakes can take.  Remember, they only have to stop the airplane ONCE ever so often and can't be certified unless they can stop the aircraft in a reasonable distance, without the use of T/Rs.  Consider jets such as the Cessna Citation CJ-series, which don't have T/Rs, or the Falcon 900, which only has one T/R.  Yes, they're smaller, but can get in and out of short airfields without T/Rs, no problem.  Further, some airports have noise restrictions and the use of reverse thrust, except in certain situations, is prohibited.

Check out this thread on Airliners.net for more info:  http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/371398/

I remember that during my training in the aircraft, we made a max effort landing w/o TR, and stopped in just 2500', truly amazing :)

Won't you need more runway for departure after that hard breaking landing?

I remember talking with some CRJ200 pilots in GCXO while we were landing and they talked about idle reverses while taxiing to H/P rwy 30 because of the high slope of the runway. They were talking about hot brakes and longer runway needs if they don't use idle reverses. Also, they had numbers for brakes temperature (not degrees celsius) and they had to follow some checklists regarding these brake temperatures.