TBM 900 fuel incorrect?

Hi all,

I'm currently planning to do a flight around the world in the TBM 900. I just got it last week and I have to say that it is the best plane I have flown in X-plane as of now. Thank you for bringing this aircraft to us!

I did run into a little problem, however. When planning the flights, I have to do some legs that are quite long (around 1300 miles). According to the website of the TBM 900, it states that its maximum range with reserves is around 1730nm (http://www.tbm.aero/products/tbm-900/). When I enter this information into my fuel planning page (I use this website: https://pohperformance.com/TBM/index.html and I made sure to select the TBM 900) it proceeds to give me fuel levels that are beyond the maximum fuel enterable in the aircraft in the sim (the maximum is 296 gallons, whereas the fuel planning page easily gives me fuel values of above 300 gallons). 

I can't seem to figure out if either the Hotstart has the wrong values or that the fuel planning page is just wrong. I also can't seem to find any performance related documents related to the Hotstart TBM anywhere, so I can't compare the numbers versus the real world counterparts. Could anyone help me to see if the maximum range of 1730nm is correct? Also I was wondering if I just missed the performance manual in the plane.

Thanks in regards!

Richard

1 hour ago, fr0xyo said:

I can't seem to figure out if either the Hotstart has the wrong values or that the fuel planning page is just wrong.

Hotstart has it correct and the TBM POH performance is correct as well. :)

First you need to consider the conditions given for max range of 1730 NM:

ISA conditions, MTOW, no wind, one pilot, 45 min fuel reserve, cruise altitude 31000 ft, long range cruise settings

If you put in these conditions in the POH performance page you will really get a result of about 1730 plus reserve. 

For your planned 1300 NM leg you should even get away with 4 people and normal cruise settings if you leave all the other conditions untouched. 

Of course, mix in some heavy crosswind and things change drastically. ;)

1 hour ago, fr0xyo said:

I also can't seem to find any performance related documents related to the Hotstart TBM anywhere

You can use the real world POH, Hotstart has a link to it in their quick start guide in section 9.

27 minutes ago, RobW05 said:

Hotstart has it correct and the TBM POH performance is correct as well. :)

First you need to consider the conditions given for max range of 1730 NM:

ISA conditions, MTOW, no wind, one pilot, 45 min fuel reserve, cruise altitude 31000 ft, long range cruise settings

If you put in these conditions in the POH performance page you will really get a result of about 1730 plus reserve. 

For your planned 1300 NM leg you should even get away with 4 people and normal cruise settings if you leave all the other conditions untouched. 

Of course, mix in some heavy crosswind and things change drastically. ;)

You can use the real world POH, Hotstart has a link to it in their quick start guide in section 9.

Thank you! I must have looked over it in the manual, will check it out right now!

I did this yesterday while doing my OrundTheGlobe tour :). I wanted to test endurance and it came pretty close to official numbers. Single pilot 90kg and 35kg of baggage in trunk.  Aprox. 1774nm. Mostly at FL280-310 at 250kn. Once you bring her high it burns about 30-35g/h. I landed with couple gallons left. 

image.thumb.png.417d0a154e8127bf2011e5dc797357ff.png

Edited by GoranR
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...