Garmin 696 and X-Plane

whiskeyportal

I got myself a Garmin 696 the other day 5476435907_abb01de58b_b.jpg and I'm wondering how I use it with X-Plane. I was reading over on the org about the 496 and they were saying i needed a plugin in order to make it work correctly. Does anyone here use a RW GPS with X-Plane and if so, how did you get it to work? Thanks for looking

-Morgan

• 1 month later...

I brought NMEA and GPS output to X-Plane, before X-Plane had it built in.

The procedure for the 496 was to connect it to a serial cable then put the GPS into "simulation" or "demo" mode.

I think you might've disconnected an antenna somewhere too, it's been several years since I spoke about this.

When placed in that mode the 496 would start reading the NMEA GPS stream from the serial cable.

Does the 696 have any references to being able to be used as a training aid with a simulated GPS source?

What X-Plane offers is mostly irrelevant at this point, what matters is determining if the 696 allows it at all.

Garmin moved all their stuff to a proprietary USB-cable based protocol as far as I know.

If there's at least an option on the device or in its literature, or you can find another example of one being used in this manner anywhere then you have some hope.

Ross Park setup a page to cover various aspects of working with external GPS applications/devices and X-Plane.

On that page you will find my plugin "XNO2".

The page is here: http://ross-park.net/xgps/