What makes X-Plane for me ?

PhM

Great Scenery, on the same level as Tenerife or Corsica, definitely an all-tim-favourite already :o

(for those who wonder, it's a photoreal Malta scenery with a lot of custom buildings and a great version of LMML)

Totally agree Mr Africa, doing a summary of this great scenery for the Blog. So many buildings in this package, massive!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I know it's an old topic ... but, X-Plane makes it for me because ..

1. it doesn't feel scripted
  2. it runs on a number of platforms
  3. it just gets more and more awesome each iteration
  4. it's 3rd party development friendly
  5. it has the greatest potential for being the be-all of GA flight simulation

it does feel scripted....facades are my nightmares, i couldnt understand a single letter in that file.....i cant have fences in my scenery then

Apart from the fact that we disagree on how it feels scripted .. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about? :)

• 3 months later...

i cant have fences in my scenery then

You *do* realize there's a nice 1m, 2m, 3m fence Facade built into OpensceneryX (which virtually everyone has installed); both 'open' and 'closed' .FAC versions.

Just use that one.! Or analyze how that one was made - and lather/rinse/repeat.

It's actually not that hard to make a simple 1 dimensional facade w/a height... i.e. a fence. Just ignore the middle, right, top sloped and stuff arguments. All you need is a LEFT and a BOTTOM. Set your SCALE to be 2.5m tall, reference your bitmap, and boom - instant fence. 4 lines of .FAC.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Even after years of building / polishing / improving the Global Scenery (and even making special versions like NZ Pro or other extras) its always great fun to see, how the virtual landscapes improves ... and because neither I have ever seen all the planet (the entire "Level 1" as Chris K put it :D ) - not even a fraction of it - it always has some nice (visual) surprises and gives me a vague feeling that this planet has quite a few beautiful corners.

(then I didn't even start to talk about, how much the fantastic contributions of the community can amaze me .... etc. etc. B) )

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Are there any good scenery packs that DO NOT use sattelite or aerial photo imagery for ground texture? It's something I'm personally averse to, I prefer green grass to blotchy sat images with rooftops and treetops stretched onto the globe. :)

I found some packs that do exactly that, are there any that don't? :)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone uses the HD mesh. Is it still maintained?

• Upvote 1

Are there any good scenery packs that DO NOT use sattelite or aerial photo imagery for ground texture? It's something I'm personally averse to, I prefer green grass to blotchy sat images with rooftops and treetops stretched onto the globe. :)

There is ABsim and many other great scenery devs. Most high-quality scenery has 3D buildings instead of just a picture of a rooftop painted on the ground. As for the photo scenery, there are many very good packages that do include high-res orthophotos. There isn't really anything wrong with them, unless the actual images are low res.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Great Scenery, on the same level as Tenerife or Corsica, definitely an all-tim-favourite already smile.png

(for those who wonder, it's a photoreal Malta scenery with a lot of custom buildings and a great version of LMML)

I lived in Malta for years in St Julians and Silema and would like to know where you can get this scenery ?

Thanks 

Steve H