YSSY Sydney Airport Photo Scenery

chris k

Good news.!

I found some royalty-free 15cm geo-referenced orthophotos of Sydney Airport (YSSY). The Imagery is free under Creative Commons License and I can do pretty much anything with the imagery; except derive a revenue stream from it. =).. So Yup - this is going to be another freebie/labour of love.

I will have to wait a bit for Laminar to re-cut the .DSF tile for Botany bay to get the water, but this is an overlay, so one can use it before and after the underlying .DSF is fixed.

Ive gone over my limit here (30 Mb already of images ive uploaded), so i'll hotlink 'em for now. (hey admins? can I get some more? I try to keep my jpegs under 300k).

737_7.jpg

737_8.jpg

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Thanks Graham, but....

I have a long way to go to fill the shoes of the likes of Jaques Brault, RoyalOak and Ted Davis (just to name a few!) ... Theyve put out literally hundreds of sceneries for a lot longer than i have.

Got a ways to go .... We'll see if I'm still doing this in a year. =P

BTW, this is what happens when things go very very wrong:

737_10.jpg

Psychedelic.... A weird cross between Dennis Leary and a bad Kevin Kostner movie....

- CK.

Edited by chris k

hey Chris,

Mate...I appreciate your time and effort poured into these scenery YSSY, Christchurch, Wellington etc and the fact that they are all freeware and you have had some financial outlays gathering the orthophotos and the rest....

and as you have put it....

"I found some royalty-free 15cm geo-referenced orthophotos of Sydney Airport (YSSY). The Imagery is free under Creative Commons License and I can do pretty much anything with the imagery; except derive a revenue stream from it. =).. So Yup - this is going to be another freebie/labour of love...."

Anyway...as a sign of my appreciation...I would like to make a donation to you and your efforts..... On Ya Mate!!!

Cheers

Matt

• Upvote 1

Moving right along....

OSX Aircraft..... Tiles Loaded..... Gamma corrected..... Fixing signage.... re-doing polygon overlays, etc..

737_18.jpg

737_19.jpg

737_20.jpg

737_21.jpg

737_22.jpg

737_23.jpg

737_24.jpg

Also using Skyflyer's Hungry Jacks and McDonalds. Those of you whove been to Sydney airport probably recognize this exact combination of objects:

737_105.jpg

Also making sure that the OSM roads line up, and that certain "infield" ones are supressed. Nothing like having buses drive down on the service road next to the runway =)

- CK.

• Upvote 1

> I'm looking forward to investigating the tunnel under the runways.

No tunnel. The X-Plane universe is flat down here... has no concept of something "less than seal-level" =)

> How far do the orthophotos extend?

The source is here (check out their coverage maps): http://www.nearmap.com)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cleaning up all the taxiway signs, ground textures, line markings. Cordoned off the new construction area....

737_107.jpg

737_109.jpg

737_110.jpg

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Hi Chris

This is looking very good.

I downloaded all 3 Christchurch packages earlier in the week and I think you have done an outstanding job of these.

Keep up the good work, my X-Plane world on 'the other-side of the world' is starting to look 'very plausible'.

Cheers

Simon

• Upvote 1

is this all new or an improvement to ....

Naturally, All the ortho imagery is completely new =).... Oct 2011 was when the Imagery was taken.

Basically, as it stands right now, I have asked Mikx for permission to redistribute the 2 terminals and the tower from his original package; but am awating his reply. I have replaced almost everything else with an equivalent OpenSceneryX 2.x object or referenced a built in X-Plane library object. I have also added things like SkyFlyer's objects, which is freely available and has no usage caveats on his EULA.)

The taxiways/runways/signage/aprons are completely new from scratch; based on the latest orthophotos. Neither X-Planes nor the other one included were close enough (although MIKX's was pretty close!) - Given that - it was literally easier to simply start again with a blank sheet at this point, and re-do them. I like seperating the taxiways from the line markings as well - which meant I'd need to re-do 90% of it anyways do do my 'markings above ortho' tricks.

- CK.

P.S. I expect to have a decision soon to hopefully obtain a derivative works rights to those 3 objects If not, I'll have to find alternative sources. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to use the XP10 facades; however, that would break XP9 compatibility.

Edited by chris k

737_111.jpg

Roads - Check. Signage - Check. Water - Check.

Kieran - this should give you a reasonable idea as to how much the ortho I am using.... Is easy to get more; but all this is the hi-res stuff (2kx2k tiles) I want to use. ANything else would be of much lower density (1/8th res or so).

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Alrighty.... time for an update!

1. I was denied permission to use MIKX's original Sydney Airport Scenery objects.

Meaning: the two terminals and the tower I cannot use.

I have therefore used replacement objects for these; as well as used some XP10 objects and XP10 Facades. I have also heavily used XP10 boarding bridges and the like... So this one will definitely be an XP10 only release.

If anyone feels like doing up the Sydney Airport Terminals... I'm all ears! =)

2. I have found a better source of imagery that I originally anticipated. The ones I had were missing the hi-res in certain areas. I have now found (albeit an older imagery) which is all high-res. It does not take into account the new Domestic Terminal expansion area; so I'll be removing that for now. It also does not have the IKEA in it, but I have used the IKEA object anyways =)

3. Lighting will be all XP10 naturally.

4. I am now looking at different XP10 commercial building facades in order to fill out the area... It looks pretty good so far!

- CK.

Edited by chris k