Leading Edge Simulations Saab 340A Experience

arb65912

AJ,

I'd love to see a video of an attempt of the RWY 33 EGPB Sumburgh landing if you want another challange?  I've travelled on a FlyBe Saab 340 on that approach.  Very impressive!

Cheers!

Andy :)

Hi Andy. :)

Welcome to the LES Saab340A lover's thread. :D

Wow, what a great videos, thank you for sharing.

Yes, definitely, Canox and myself will fly  RWY 33 EGPB Sumburgh approach for sure ( I dared to answer for Canox here but he is a SAAB addict, like me , hope I will be forgiven, Canox :P )

It looks great, it will be a challenge, I will try this weekend, need to prepare for it, no crashes, that is my LES Saa340A commitment, if things do not look right, missed approach, go around or alternate, just like in real life.

What a fabulous plane it is, isn't it?

Keep an eye on this thread, there are many cool things coming up and thank you for joining.

Cheers, AJ ;)

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen, as promised, for special request from Andy ....

SUMBURGH, Direct Arrival VOR/DME RWY 33

I have made 3 videos.

FlyBe presentation, take off, enroute and descend, all good, quite standard. :)

WHAT MAJOR MISTAKE I made on take off? :o

Edited by arb65912
  • Upvote 1

Second video, I almost killed few passengers and myself trying to land on RWY 33 with the VATSIM weather.

post-1109-0-84901200-1390622339_thumb.pn

Look at the numbers in above screenshot, notice the wind direction...

In real life , I would definitely attempt to land , if at all at RWY15 but for the sake of fun in the simulation I did land on RWY 33, barely made it.

Did not even damaged the plane but it was an insane attempt. :D

Enjoy watching my struggles.  Cheers, AJ  ;)

• Upvote 1

And the third video, pretty much what would happen in real life, set weather to acceptable for RWY33 and you can tell that it was a whole different game. :D

Thank you for watching, it was  pure fun, getting to know LES Saab340A better and better, hand flying is awesome!

Andy, hope you enjoyed the videos and thank you for a great idea, looking forward to more.  Cheers, AJ ;)

• Upvote 2

Nice videos of Sumburgh. Well done for managing to keep the plane on the apron during the second video. It's fair to say the weather there can be fairly appalling but when I flew up from EGPH Edinburgh it was a gorgeous sunny day and you could see right across Scotland on the way up.

Would be cool to come up with a list of really challenging and genuine SAAB 340 landings like this.

I've flown a few other places in the Scottish Islands in it, Kirkwall, Wick and Stornoway but none have such interesting approaches though.  It did however take off from EGPO Stornoway on Rwy 06 which is only 3,200 ft.  Presumably with a very strong head wind. It was sat at the end of the runway for about 2 or 3 minutes at full power before they took the brakes off.

Andy

Lol the second video is nuts! Good job getting 'er to the ground and keeping it one piece! 

AJ were you able to find any charts for RWY 33 @ EGPB? I cant find any.. but I watched your videos a couple times so Ill just try to copy what I see you doing.. good thing you record in HD so I can see all the numbers heh

Im also anxiously waiting for the B737.. and LES Citation!

Lol the second video is nuts! Good job getting 'er to the ground and keeping it one piece! 

AJ were you able to find any charts for RWY 33 @ EGPB? I cant find any.. but I watched your videos a couple times so Ill just try to copy what I see you doing.. good thing you record in HD so I can see all the numbers heh

Im also anxiously waiting for the B737.. and LES Citation!

I would guess that there are no charts as instrument and night landings on that runway would not be permitted.  If you watch the video's I posted you can see how its really done.

Andy

Hello Gentlemen, good to see all your input here,makes me willing to do more videos. :D

@Andy: thank you Andy, well, second video was a near death experience but I just wanted you to see it.

As far as the weather, it was not as much the weather itself but as the wind direction, look at the wind factor and direction on EHSI  ( second video).

That landing would be forbidden by ANY , even the least strict aviation rules but for simulation, it was fun to push it to the limits.

I am really trying not to crash LES Saab340A , just like I was doing it in real life but I also want to get that adrenaline surge, you know what I mean. :P

Would be cool to come up with a list of really challenging and genuine SAAB 340 landings like this.

That is the plan behind that thread I started, to learn, to challenge and to share.

I promise ( along with Canox's and others help, I hope) to make a very nice, challenging list of approaches/landings/trips for LES Saab340A

It did however take off from EGPO Stornoway on Rwy 06 which is only 3,200 ft.  Presumably with a very strong head wind. It was sat at the end of the runway for about 2 or 3 minutes at full power before they took the brakes off.

THAT will be the subject of my next video, Andy, keep your fingers crossed.

@ horani: Yes, landing lights off, that was easy and major mistake. :lol:   No excuses except that I was in a hurry to get the mission completed and DID NOT follow the checklist, bad, bad, bad.

Thank you for the kind words on videos, I am happy you enjoy them, more to come. 

Why aren't you able to make the videos? Frame rate? I guess , we just have to wait for the update.

I just realized that even with removing all scenery I described in the other thread, I still can not switch to external view after a longer flight.

I found a PITA workaround for that though.

I save replay , restart the X-Plane and I am able to record from the outside.

Let's hope for some mercy from Cameron to complete that long awaited update. :)

Looks like IXEG B737 will be an awesome aircraft, maybe it will not "kill" my beloved LES Saab340A, maybe it will become just my another favorite plane, I hope so.

@Canox: yes, second video is nuts but it WAS FUN.  I do not even know HOW I managed to survive THAT. :D

All the charts for EGPB are here   https://charts.aero/airport/EGPB

I pretty much used   http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-56E52500A7F5AB963646137A401683CD/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/NON_AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGPB_8-9_en_2012-05-31.pdf

The idea was to fly toward VOR having the mountain to the right, I have flown quite a few times before I got to shoot third video.

Yes, all recordings will be always in HD, glad to see you are able to see the numbers.

LES Citation... it will be another Saab 340A competitor....    Cheers, AJ ;)

Wow. EGPB. Very weather. Such windy. So scare. 

1st attempt in real weather after a quick recon in a Cessna

Didnt crash but I couldnt stop until I was inside that town lol.  Watching the replay I think I could have had it but I flared much too early.. (not to mention the rest of the horrific approach)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0H82O5k5lM&feature=youtu.be

Edited by canox
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Andy for the Sumburgh suggestion.. having fun at this airport.  Definitely will add it to 'the list' of SAAB flights. 

I hope to find at least one good flight for each continent.. we have some good Europe approaches.  Looking for some good ones in BC, Canada and New Zealand right now.

Queenstown, NZ looks fun.. I havnt tried it in the sim but look at the VOR/DME B & C approach chart 

https://charts.aero/airport/NZQN

PS. Hahah just noticed there is a jumping dolphin in the EGPB scenery

Edited by canox
  • Upvote 1

@Canox: wow, brave man, the difference between your approach and first of mine is that you decided to land and I chickened out. :D   Watched couple of times, very cool but yes, also crazy , like mine.

I was laughing hard reading about you working as a cab driver in that town, lol,lol,lol.

I was doing the very first one with the base leg almost 90 deg to the runway and that did not work well, then I watched the real life guys and narrowed the angle, worked like a charm.

One good flight for each continent, great idea but I can tell you now that we will have more than that, see Jim's and Theo's reply.

Hey, I am excited like a boy, well, I am always like a boy when it comes to flying..... :P

@Andy: I did not forget the EGPO RWY 06 take off, I am having fun with it just now, took a break to reply here.

I can already tell you, with the headwind, take off is piece of cake, with real weather and forcing to take off from RWY06, it is much more challenging but also quite easy.

What is HARD is landing on RWY 06 with real weather when winds do not cooperate.

I will post videos soon, stay tuned.

@Jim: NOW I am sure we will be very busy trying all these approaches with LES Saab340A. Thank you tons, Jim.

It also makes me happy that you are reading this thread, you are one of the guys that made that thread possible. :)

@ Theo: Hi Theo, this is my first direct contact with you and I do remember you because when I posted an apology some time ago, I missed your name ( because I did not see too many replies of yours in the threads I was reading).

I apologize for that because I have learned that you are the texture master which shows very well.

Thank you very much for chipping in.

Now, we HAVE to fly NZQN VOR App.

Gentlemen, I am very happy that my idea of this thread is proving to be a good one. Thank you all for the inputs.  Cheers, AJ ;)

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen, another thing is done. :D

Just for request from Andy, I made three videos.

Below, VATSIM, today, winds were favorable and that is the most probable scenario to take off and land on RWY 06 at EGPO.

Pretty smooth, no problems at all except the "terrain" couple times, need to keep the plane a bit higher.

• Upvote 1

Still flying at EGPB.. trying Queenstown NZQN aswell.

NZQN is an interesting approach! Not too difficult for the SAAB.. I could probably get a jet in there.  Still very nice scenery and a fun approach nonetheless.  The hardest part is the short DME arc.. dont have much practice flying those.

Cant say enough about this plane.  I still love the autopilot in the SAAB.. its not much different than autopilots in other planes but it feels like it works so much better.  Despite the complexity of the plane I feel more comfortable doing busy approaches because everything in the plane is done so well.  Im more focused because it feels more immersive and like it matters than in a plane I can go 'ahh whatever' and cowboy onto the runway.

Canox, have fun, I will do the flying this weekend, will have some time.

Yes, I also love LES Saab340A, probably the best aircraft I owned so far, the only thing is that I hope the update will materialize some time soon before Citation is out.

Take your time, we have a whole year to do all mentioned and some approaches and flights. :D

Important part is to have FUN while doing what we are doing, right?

I will be practicing a lot to get that hands off landing but it is definitely not easy to get it all close to where it should be.
Another factor at NZQN is a weather, mountaneous terrain creates some drafts and gusts that need to be compensated for.
I can hand fly straight and level , all trimmed and all of the sudden aircraft sinks or raises.
I think that this weekend, I am going to go to my "home" airport KWWD, set the weatheer to no winds and gusts and get my numbers straight.
If I can do it with a perfect weather, that with a not so perfect one, I will just compensase for gusts and drafts but the main setup will be there.

I think, in my setup, I got as close as one can get to flying LES Saab340A like in real life, keeping the balance to it is still lots of fun while learning.

My main goal will be to get the landing established with descend rate less than 1000 FPM and speed around 125 KIAS  with 20 deg flaps.

As fara as NZQN flying, have you gusy see this video? Absolutely beautiful. I have read that they do not fly exactly like that anymore but the video is great.

I also read some on NZQN RNP approach and it would be also nice to try that with the weathere like in the video above.
I will definitely try      Queenstown - RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 05 & 23

I looked at the available plates at NZQN and beside the one mentioned above I will want to fly VOR/DME B appraoch     http://www.aip.net.n...N_43.1_43.2.pdf
The unique part is that you need to expect to fly Visual Circuit at 4000 MSL.

Will be doing some flyingthis weekend and will post my results here. Stay tuned.  Cheers, AJ wink.png

Wow that video is amazing.. Its hard to get the clouds to be a thin layer like that in Xplane.  I tried and got super lost in the clouds lol.. NZQN has a serious lack of NAVAIDS!

I recommened alpilotx's NZ Mesh.. it really makes the area around NZQN look much more like the real thing.  Even better than his normal HD mesh stuff.  I dont think NZ has a square KM of flat terrain its awesome.  Even the mountains are mountainous.

Ive also been flying in Cami de Belli's airports in the Tuamotu Islands.. She made 33 airports!  Lots of hand flying into very small runways.. lots of fun in the SAAB.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_French_Polynesia

Ive been doin a circuit of the French Poly.. my method is to only shut down the left engine to 'let my passengers out' (I taxi and do the door and stairs animations.. so lame)

Would this be safe?  

Yes, getting the clouds like in the video is almost impossible because of the way XP makes weather.

SkyMaxx Pro is doing a great job but it can only show what X-Plane generates.

I did not try NZ  mesh yet, I have normal HD mesh all over the globe. If I stay longer around NZ, I might give it a try.

Happy to hear you had fun flying LES Saab340A in Cami de Belli's airports, fun is a must.

Shutting down one engine to let the passengers out, hmmm, I think it would not be practiced in real life but hey, this just a simulation, right? :D

I am getting ready to fly to NZQN but I needed to do something first, read below.

After being politely told by my favorite Instructor that my landings are scary, I decided to try to improve a bit in that area before doing any more flying at Queenstown.
I went back to my "training" airport in NJ KWWD and practiced.

Things did not work very well from the beginning. banghead.gif

Video below shows my unsuccessful attempts to get the numbers right.