Simple Season

ShePooley

File Name: Simple Season

File Submitter: ShePooley

File Submitted: 08 Jan 2013

File Category: Plugins and Utilities

How to install:
Select the version of snow you want: normal snow, deep snow or very deep snow. You only need one of it. For Alaska I prefer the version with very deep snow.
Replace the old Simple Season with the new one and delete the file "SP_version" in the root of the folder "zzzzzz1000 world terrain" or delete the folder "zzzzzz1000 world terrain" in your custom scenery folder.

This short python script will give you the 4 seasons!

The script puts a copy of the default scenery in the custom scenery folder and adds 4 sets of textures: winter, summer, spring and fall. If you are starting X-Plane 10 or moving the aircraft (location -> select global airport) it will calculate the needed season and activate it
No restart of X-Plane is needed.

January - March: winter in the north...summer in the south
April - June: spring in the north ...fall in the south
July - September: summer in the north...winter in the south
October - December: fall in the north...spring in the south
If the temperature at your airport is below -2° C it will set winter too
If it is winter and the temperature higher than +2° it will switch to autumn.

My script do not include any texture files, this must be done by the community.
That means you will not see any difference between summer, spring and fall until you have added textures for it.
It uses the default texture files to create a very simple winterworld for X-Plane. It is not really a nice winterworld but better than nothing.
I only added the simple winter to show that my script is working, do not expect too much.
X-Plane 9 users can install the well known WinterWorld into my script.

It is easy to add texture files to it.

If you add your own texture files to my system then you must do it to the folder "SP_texture_template" with the subfolders summer, winter, spring and fall. The folder "SP_texture_templatefall" will be the root of the scenery folder after the season fall is activated. If you put your files to the normal texture folders it can happen that you overwrite the default X-Plane texture files. If this happen then you must run the X-Plane installer to repair X-Plane!

Scenery designer can use my script to switch their scenery too

Harddisk space:
---------------------
This script do not touch any real file, it is no more than a gigant softlink manager. That means you do not need free harddisk space untill you are adding texture files.

X-Plane Versions:
----------------------
This script will work with all versions of X-Plane 9 and 10 till 10.99, X-Plane cant break it (at least i hope it) If my script detects a new version it will rebuild the system and every thing should work fine

How to install:
------------------------------
It requires Sandy Barbours Python interface
http://www.xpluginsd...n_interface.htm

Drop it in the folder PythonScripts and start X-Plane
For the first start my script will need a very long time to copy the default scenery, my system needs around 17 minutes for it and my computer isn't slow
After the installation you must restart X-Plane to register the new scenery.

Known limitations:
--------------------------

You can change all files inside the default scenery except the library.txt. This file is always the default version.
If you change it then X-Plane will crash!
If my script is switching the scenery than X-Plane needs a few seconds to do this.
During this time X-Plane is not responding. This is a limitation by X-Plane, there is no way to change it.

Click here to download this file

Simple Season - complete.zip

• Upvote 1

I read the readme, and I am not getting any textures. Not even the "test" texture you mentioned. I only have the folowing files in custom scenery, and it looks like I should have more (like pictured in the readme):

zzzzzz900 beaches

zzzzzz900 europe objects

zzzzzz900 forests

zzzzzz900 red terrain

zzzzzz900 roads

zzzzzz900 roads.zip

I am using X-Plane 9, on Windows 7.

Do you need any other details to help me?

My script is creating a copy of the default scenery. The objects starting with "zzzzzz900" should be copies of the default scenery. Can you please compare the content of the default scenery with the new folders in the custom scenery and tell me the result?

At the moment i only can say that your folder "900 us objects" is missing and the folder "900 world terrain" too. My script needs the "world terrain" folder to work.

You have a folder "900 red terrain", this is not default. Perhaps you have renamed the world terrrain folder? Try to rename the folder "zzzzzz900 red terrain" to "zzzzzz900 world terrain". Then my script should work, the content of the folder is not important for my script. It only must exist.

Edited by ShePooley

you have moved the folder "_WINTER_WORLD_9_250" to "zzzzzz900 world terrain\SP_texture_template"?, deleted the folder "winter" there and renamed the winterworld folder to winter?

Have you perhaps forgotten to delete the file "@" ?

Test the switching of my script. Set temperature to very cold that you should see snow, Then reload the airport. Do you see the file "winter" in the folder "zzzzzz900 world terrain"?

Set the temperature to very high and reload the airport. The file "winter" should be gone and you should see "summer", "spring", or "fall" depending on the month you have selected.

Or, perhaps the file "zzzzzz900 world terrain" do not exist? If you do not have it look in the folder "Resouces\default scenery"...do the folder "900 world terrain" exist there?

• 2 years later...