problem installng reno scenery

sshaper

I have a 21.5 iMac.

I got the reno scenery DVD.  I followed the instructions and copied the reno folder and contents from the DVD to my desktop. 

I unzipped the Reno-1.0-0sx-installer.app.zip.  The Reno-1.0-osx-installer.app resides within the Reno folder. 

I double click the app. 

It goes through the install process up until in loads the files.  The messages says something like "loading lots of files please be patient.  The progress bar goes very fast then hangs at about 80%.  It hangs there for about five minutes then I get the following error message.

"Problem running post-install step. Installation  may not complete correctly.

Error running /Users/scottshaper/Desktop/Reno 7zx"/Users/scottshaper/Desktop/Reno/Reno.7z.001-o/X-plane 9/Custom Scenery : child process exited abnormally."

I click "OK" and the installations seems to be over.  If I open X-plane and attempt to go to an airport covered by the scenery (KRNO) X-plane crashes.

Seems to be a corrupt 7z.001 file, but I am only guessing.

Scott

I downloaded a program called Ez7z.  I was able to extract files Reno.7z.001 and .002.  But it seemed to have a problem with .003.  With .003 I get the following error "Can't make word 2 of "" into type string.(-1700).

I noticed, however, that the files for 001 and 002 extracted the same thing.  A folder called Reno which contain three folders Earth nav data, terrain, textures.  The contents of those folders seem to be identical.  And those same files are also in my Custom scenery folder for X-plane under Reno.

Is there a program your recommend for unzipping 7z folders?

A bit more info.

I realized that ez7z has an option called "Use unRAR to expand split archives" and they request I toggle that off, when opening Reno.7z.001.  Now when I expand Reno.7z.001 the icon for that file has a split icon and files .002 - .004 have the exec icon.

This leads me to believe that when I unzip Reno.7z.001 it also does .002, .003, .004.  It does unzip something because I get the same folder/file structure, as previously described.  That would also make sense why .003 did not open.  I am not sure how I got .002 to open, but because the files matched .001 on extraction, I assume it is because of split archives.

The files in textures range from

LIT_Reno_HR_1_19.DSS to LIT_Reno_HR_118_134.DDS

and

Reno_HR_1_19.DSS to Reno_HR_118_134.DSS

Not sure if the above is helpful in seeing if all the files are there, at least for textures.  I can give all the file ranges if necessary.

Scott

The files in textures range from

LIT_Reno_HR_1_19.DSS to LIT_Reno_HR_118_134.DDS

and

Reno_HR_1_19.DSS to Reno_HR_118_134.DSS

Do you mean DDS and not DSS? There's a problem if they are "DSS."

Not sure if the above is helpful in seeing if all the files are there, at least for textures.  I can give all the file ranges if necessary.

I believe this may be a permissions issue with the 7z executable. That, or the permissions are getting lost on the 7z files, and luckily your 7z unzipping program is restoring such UNIX permissions to allow you to unzip.

My suggestion is:

Use that third party program you downloaded, expand the .001 file. This will expand .004 from there automatically. Move the resulting unzipped folder (should be something like 'Reno') to your X-Plane/Custom Scenery folder. You'll also note an overlays zip file. Do the same for this zip file as well.

Doing this is the manual way to install the scenery, and should work well.

Yes, it was my mistake file are DDS, sorry.

I did as you instructed I unzipped the Reno.7z.001 folder which produced a folder called Reno with the folders and files intact and put Reno in custom scenery.  I did the same for Reno_overlays_zip, it produced a folder called Reno_overlays, which I moved into the custom scenery folder.  It appears to have unzipped everything correctly.

I started xplane in another airport kyip.  It loaded just fine, I then went to krno and it crashed.  I looked at the log file and it says it cannot find the files, but they are there.  I have attached the log.txt file and a screen shot of my reno file structure.

Scott

post-4351-131369609106_thumb.png

Log.txt

Hi Cameron,

Yes the non-LIT dds files are there as well.

Here is what I did, not 100% familiar with CHMOD.

Opened terminal went to the custom scenery folder.

I entered chmod -R 0755 Reno

I then opend Reno and did the following

chmod -R 0755 terrain

chmod -R 0755 textures

I did not get a response that anything happened but I did not get any errors either.

I loaded up X plane and same problem.  I then right clicked the Reno folder in custom scenery and selected get info.  Under there I noticed that not all permission were read write, only for me.  So I made them all read write.

I loaded up X plane and it worked.  I now get a message that says "some scenery files could not load...".  But I was able to fly around krno and it seemed to work fine.  I checked the local map and noticed some grayed out areas and a black square.  I have attached a screen shot.

Spoke too soon, did a third try and it crashed.  Checked the log file and it looks the same like it cannot find the files.

Scott

post-4351-13136960912_thumb.png

Hello, Scott,

We're definitely still dealing with permission issues somewhere here. It's very rare that we see this (first time on the scenery products), and we test all DVDs on each platform prior to shipping for practical reasons.

If you'd be willing, I can offer you a download free of charge for your product. You can utilize the contact form on X-Aviation if you choose to take up this option: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/contact_us.php

My hope is that with the download your OS retains the permissions and would allow for a flawless install.

Hi Cameron,

I will take the download and give it a try.  I sent an email via the contact form.  Also just to clarify on what I had sent.  Right now, I am testing in my macbook laptop but my iMac at home had the same problems.

Thanks for the help

Scott

Hi Scott,

Your previous screenshot shows a lot of missing imagery, which most likely are the zero file size DDS files. Everywhere you see the gray terrain you should also have imagery. Don't worry about X-Plane complaining about missing scenery. X-Plane looks for surrounding scenery areas and lets you know if it doesn't find any. This is normal and has nothing to do with your Reno scenery. Lots of Mac customers have successfully installed Reno without issue. Hopefully, the downloaded data and installer will work for you as it handles the unzipping and permissions for automatically.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, I think the disk I received has a corrupt file, or something.  At first it was thought to be a permissions problem, but I have now tried to install using that disk on three different computers and two different operating systems.

iMac - Mac OS

Macbook - Mac OS/Windows 7 32 bit via bootcamp

PC - Windows 7 64 bit

I have had the same errors on all tests.  Plus, if you look at the previous screen shot I have read write permissions set.  And if that was the case I don't know why some files would unzip and others would not, if they all had the same permissions.  Of course, yourself and Cameron know this application much better than I, so my conclusion is just my assumption based upon what I have seen so far.

I also attempted the download.  And it appeared to download properly because the file sizes seem to be correct.  Yet when I attempt to install the download I got a different problem.  Instead of creating the Reno folder and accompanying folders and files.  It created a Reno.7z file.  And when I attempt to open that I got a "corrupt file" error.  I also tried that on two different machines and got the same error.

iMac -mac OS

PC - Windows 7 64 bit.

So it appears as if something in the download did not go well.  Which, I had a feeling might because my Internet can be spotty on bigger file downloads, which is why I opted to just order the DVD.  However, I do appreciate Cameron's offer to attempt a free download to see if that would help.  When I say free I mean free for me, I know the downloads cost X-aviation money.

At this point, I am kind of at a loss.  I was wondering if I could get a DVD of just the files I need unzipped. The _Reno_Overlay and the Reno with all the sub folders and files.  No zipped files and no install application.  I know this would be double the file size probably about 5 gigs I am guessing.

Or if that is not possible. Could I send you a 8gig zip drive that you could put the files on and ship back to me?

I realize this is an off the wall request.  I am just thinking of a possible solution, whatever works.

Thanks,

Scott

I also attempted the download.  And it appeared to download properly because the file sizes seem to be correct.  Yet when I attempt to install the download I got a different problem.  Instead of creating the Reno folder and accompanying folders and files.  It created a Reno.7z file.  And when I attempt to open that I got a "corrupt file" error.  I also tried that on two different machines and got the same error.

Scott,

I also asked this in e-mail, but I'll ask here as well....

Reno.7z does not sound like a result of our own program. Was this the result of an extraction from a third party application apart from our own Reno Installer? Our installer is instructed to create physical folders and files, and if it is unable to do so it will report a CRC error. If you're getting a .7z file after initial extraction then this sounds like some third party software with improper configuration on how to deal with the files we're using.

Thanks for any help. Never seen this one!

Hi Cameron,

Yes, it was created using the Reno Installer.  The installer works just fine, there are no error messages that appear.  But when I look at the files, instead of having the Reno folder and files, I have a Reno.7z file.  And if I attempt to open (using a third party program ez7z) I get the "corrupt archive" error message (sorry I said "corrupt file" in my previous post).

I did this on two separate machines Mac and PC (the PC has no third party software) and the same result.

I have attached screen shots  First is the files I downloaded.  Second is the is in the Custom Scenery after I use the Reno Installer.

Scott

post-4351-131369609191_thumb.png

post-4351-131369609199_thumb.png

This is a third image taken from another computer.  It is a new Mac Pro.  I used the files that I had downloaded.  Just demonstrating that it happens on more than one computer.  If that is helpful.  NOTE: Because X plane is not installed in this test machine. I created a folder called xplane, and within that a folder called Custom Scenery.

post-4351-131369609204_thumb.png

Scott,

I really don't have a clue as to what is happening on your machine. We have many customers, and have never once seen this issue before.

Rather than chase a rare case and make you a guinea pig I have sent you a new DVD with a standard zip file, no installer. You should receive this within a few days, and your order under your account has been updated with a new tracking #. This should solve the issue you're having and get you where you need to be.

Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Hi Cameron,

I admit I am at a loss as well.  This is a strange one.  I appreciate all the help you gave, and taking the time to create and ship a unique disk just for my situation, says a lot (positively) of X-aviation and Real Scenery.

Thank You,

Scott Shaper